Swapping Compact Tractor for Quad (mainly mowing) - good idea??

Lyndale

New User
Visit site
Hi, we are about to swap our compact tractor / flail collector for a quad with self powered flail, but last minute cold feet so wanted to see if there was any input from anyone that has had both?

After we moved a few years back we rented some adjacent paddock, so currently have about 4.5 acres to look after. The ride-on mower took far too long so we quickly managed to scrape enough together to buy a used Chinese Compact Tractor and a collecting Flail Mower. This is far faster than the ride-on, but as nearly 2 acres is more garden (still rough pasture in terms of ground) with plenty of trees / obstacles we have found that we whizz around the open areas, but then have to hand mow a fair proportion (so overall it is not much better, sadly). We also find the tractor flattens a lot with it's wheels before the flail gets to it, so it pops back up by the next day leaving the cut quite scruffy.

The attraction of the tractor (apart from that it was a tractor and it was red of course!!) was the PTO and our belief that it would be versatile. The trouble is that the 3 point hitch and PTO is a bit of a faff, so we've found ourselves leaving the flail permanently attached - so effectively it's a lawn mower.

Recent thinking has got us to the brink of losing a bit on the purchase of the tractor and P/X it and the flail for a decent used quad (eyes on a Polaris 500) and a tow flail (self powered with the same cutting width as the PTO flail). Our idea being that the hitch is simple so we can swap to trailer, roller or such much easier (so might do it!) and the quad will be a lot lower / more agile than the tractor - flail combo so we should be able to do more of the grass in amongst the trees etc. We have the fields harrowed, seeded etc. by a local farmer - so we just need to do the general mowing / maintenance.

We literally are just about to pull the trigger on the deal, but then cold feet as I recall so many people saying that a tractor is the best thing since sliced bread! Don't want to regret the move so thought I'd post quickly and see if anyone has any guidance / thoughts that has used both?

Thanks for any replies - as really are struggling to know what to do at the minute...

meleeka

Visit site
No real advice as I don’t have a tractor but it sounds as if you just want mower that does other things when needed. I’d have the quad personally for the reasons you state (and the benefit of being able to put a trailer on the back if needed which is what I do with mine).

Is there anything that the tractor does that you couldn’t do with the quad?

whiteflower

Visit site
We have just changed back to compact tractor from quad after having various quads for a few years. We may have been unlucky but our quads weren't reliable and didn't seem To like the slow work we wanted them to do (ménage, towing muck trailer, spraying, seeding). We do however have full size tractor as well. Quads in our area are high on thieves shopping lists as well so we had to go to great lengths so secure and keep ours. I can't really explain the technical side of why we prefer the compact tractor as that's hubby's domain but I find it easier to just set at speed and let it chug along where as all the quads we had had accelerators so going over bumps etc made it erratic for spraying etc. I think it's personal preference really but personally I prefer compact tractor for field maintenance type jobs although a quad is fun to whizz about on and Carry stuff about !

tda

Visit site
I'm managing with a quad, poo hoovering, trailer tipping, topping (self powered) moving round bales etc.

Would love a tractor but then I'd have to replace all the kit I've bought. 😐🤔

If you only mow the grass then yes swap for a quad, they are quite pinchable round here too so we keep ours in integral garage with underfloor heating which helps with it starting (Kawasaki KVF360)

Lyndale

New User
Visit site
Thank you for the replies, really appreciated (and thanks meleeka / TDA as at least we don't feel we are utterly mad!!)

In answer - no, there isn't anything we use the tractor for that wouldn't be possible with the quad.

Thanks also whiteflower, what you say makes perfect sense too, and the throttle point is a very good one.

I think this really is a personal preference / usage case thing (which makes the decision hard as we don't want to keep changing given you lose quite a bit each time). If we did a lot of field work, or bailing, etc. then I'd not be even considering the move away from a tractor as I really can see how / why they are preferred by so many people. It could just be our setup (being very small) and layout (with all the trees to get under) just isn't suited to a tractor - but the concern is we are looking for a perfect solution that doesn't exist and will hark back to our little red tractor when it's gone.

From a practical sense I am most concerned at the reliability (as you raised whiteflower) and whether the self powered ATV flails are going to be as good as the tractor PTO driven one we have right now. In an ideal world I'd have both (at least so we could try them back-to-back), but thats not an option.

We could do the swap and not look back, getting more use out of the quad and not seeing any performance drop in the cutting. I really have that sinking feeling though that it could go horribly wrong and we realise the compact tractor was the better option and we'll be stuck not being able to afford to trade back again...

cauda equina

Visit site
Another possibility is a compact tractor with a cutting deck
We have one (Massey Fergusson GC2300) which does all the small tractor things as well as cutting the grass.
It does flatten the grass rather if it's long (it can cope, albeit untidily, with 1ft +) but works very well on shorter stuff and is dead simple to use

Reactions: tda

vhf

Visit site
Our quad and self powered flail have been pretty reliable and do a good job. We are very un-mechanical and have had an engineer out a couple of times in the 5 years we've had them. Quad is easy to unhitch so we have a chain-harrow and trailer too, makes it very versatile. (Certain middle-aged boy racer visitors are only let loose with an attachment on, to stop them damaging themselves speeding on the quad!)
In an ideal world we'd have a tractor for the heavier jobs, and yes, balancing the acceleration for consistent speed over varied terrain can be a challenge!

Finlib

Visit site
we have had our quad for 25 years its a Honda Big Red 4 wheel drive It is super reliable and in that time we have only replaced the battery it was only a year old when we got it and low usage Hubby services it himself every year.We have a self powered topper which is also 25 years old and also reliable again hubby services it every year and at the beginning of the mowing season it always starts no problem even though not used all winter
We use the quad with a ballast roller trailer and chain harrow and areana leveller and thinking if getting a yard scrapper snow plough
Its great for moving stuff around and to get around the farm quickly if you dont fancy walking.
We keep it chained to a ring in the concrete floor tucked away out of site in the back of an american brick built barn.
I find it easy to get out and quickl to use and hitch stuff up.
Would only consider a 4 wheel drive as better in wet grass snow and ice.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I've often wondered why a mower has to be behind the quad or tractor; the grass has been flattened by the wheels running over it, before the blades get to cut.

Why can't the blades be at the front of the vehicle, to cut before the wheels crush down the grass?

You wouldn't need a front PTO; an electric motor run from the vehicle's alternator could turn the blades.

turnbuckle

Visit site
I would stay with the tractor, more versatile, more attachment possibilities, and 3 pt hitches are a doddle once you get used to them.

But if you are set on changing, why not a mule? More payload than a quad, just as good offroad unless you are in hill country, much less stealable. And you can run them on red.

paddy555

Visit site
I'm not really sure why you would change from a flail run on PTO to one with it's own engine. To me that is just another engine that could go wrong. We run 2 tractors, one of which is a compact, and hitching up the PTO, 3 pt linkage is just practice and having everything ready and set up. The only way I can think of to stop driving over the grass before cutting it is an offset flail. However this of course would be wide between trees.

I don't see much difference between the tractor and a quad. They will be around the same length, you will have to either hitch up the PTO on one or start the flail engine on the other. Both will then do the same job. If it was suitable for your land I can see a compact with a mowing deck mounted underneath would be much easier as it would be permanently set up and may go under the trees more easily. If not I wouldn't bother to loose money by getting rid of the tractor.

tda

Visit site
I would stay with the tractor, more versatile, more attachment possibilities, and 3 pt hitches are a doddle once you get used to them.

But if you are set on changing, why not a mule? More payload than a quad, just as good offroad unless you are in hill country, much less stealable. And you can run them on red.
You see I would really prefer a mule, my brother has a new one it's lovely, but I just can't stretch to one at the moment.
Someone told me last week you can set your quad to just trundle, I must find out how to do that

outinthefens88

Visit site
Having read through the various posts on here, I can offer some suggestions as I use compact tractors extensively in my grounds maintenance works and on the farm.

Firstly, some chinese manufactured tractors really are generally vile, horrible, awkward and very backwards to use things in terms of the linkage and PTO. I have experience of various Kubotas and Case International compacts and have to say the Kubota linkage is much more versatile and adjustable.

As with everything, practice helps - I am on and off a tractor a lot and changing implements a dozen times a week sometimes so it does become second nature.

You say you have a collecting flail - flail mowing is VERY power hungry by its nature and needs to be done slowly to avoid missed bits and to ensure an even cut without pressed down wheel marks you describe - if there is no reason why you need to collect, you may be better with a multi bladed rotary 'finishing mower' like a teagle dynamo 150 or similar depending on your tractors power. (see photo for one of the setups we use) - tractor shown is 17hp for reference.Teaglefinishingmower.jpg

Talk to local engineers before you go the self powered flail route - all our local ones hate them with passion as the vibrations cause them to self destruct at frequent intervals.