Swapping yards/4 year old dilemma

Izzwall

Visit site
Hi everyone, normally I have an idea on what to do but this time I'm a bit drawn 50/50. Gut is saying one thing but head is saying another!

I have 3 horses at 2 different yards. Two are up on the moors in a field I rent with access to a small barn for shelter and is an extremely quiet set up. It suits my homebred to a tee as she's EMS and, also recently discovered, has PSSM too so I can manage her however I wish. The hacking is outstanding and she's going the best she's ever has, especially now I have her EMS and PSSM under control. She shares the field with her dam who is now in her late twenties.

I work at a lovely livery 10 mins away and in November last year I bought an ex racer straight from training who I keep at said livery. I rode him for a bit and turned him away, just bringing him in at night and turning out in the day and that's it. This has switched to out at night and in during the day for the past 2-3 months. I started bringing him back into work since April/may with just in hand walking exploring the countryside and a bit of pole work once a week in the school inhand. He's a really nice lad and is genuinely calm and cuddly with not much in life bothering him. He's a yard favourite for sure! He turned 4 years at the beginning of May. I've been doing a little bit of bareback riding around the livery/farm yard and down to the field with him and he's been calm and relaxed.

However for the last few weeks he's been getting more and more stressy and reactive which just isn't him at all. I had a few people around me saying it's because he now needs a job and the walking in hand isn't enough for his brain anymore and in some way I agreed with them. So last Thursday we had a little hack out, he was fab and looked very pleased with himself when we got back. Two days later we went out with two other calm horses where I lead inhand at first then got on half way. He was not a happy chap at all and was very tense though he did have moments where he relaxed a bit. He's genuinely a slow walker and struggled to keep up with the other two horses though they did stop regularly for us to catch up.
Two days later I took him out with one other quiet horse and he was very spooky and tense again but did semi relax on the last 5 minutes home. I took him in the school inhand the day after and he just couldn't do anything without a mini explosion and biting (extremely unlike him!) Even worse, the next day I got on him bareback like we've done a load of times now and he threw an absolute paddy about being asked forward resulting in him rearing up. Thankfully OH was there and I asked him to grab him to encourage him forward, he did and we rode down to the field gate with no issues.
He's normally such a calm and steady chap so all this change in behaviour is very unusual for him. He's also started chewing the wood in his stable.
He had his teeth done a few weeks ago and has had the physio who couldn't find any issues a month ago. I also put him on Ronfields as I have my suspicions he has ulcers. He's not even enjoying his inhand walks anymore.
I think the step up to riding and the current busy yard environment is just too much for him and I'm considering taking him to my field on the moor for a 6 week holiday to just chill out completely with 24/7 turnout and an occasional groom and taking my homebred to the livery so we can develop our schooling more and have a play on the local xc course and gallops. We also only hack alone and she's rubbish in company so we certainly can work on that at the livery. However managing her EMS and PSSM will be difficult and I'm not sure what she'll be like in a busy yard environment as she's always been out 24/7 in a field with shelter with one or two companions. My gut is saying move the 4 year old, he needs a complete break and move homebred to the yard for a short trial and move back if it goes tits up, the 3 of them would be fine living together though will have to make sure thoroughbred won't lose too much weight on their moorland style grazing and soaked hay set up. Or my head is saying just keep the thoroughbred there but just leave him again.
So options are
A) move him to quiet field for 6 week holiday and hope that calms his head down, move homebred to livery.
B) move him to quiet field and keep homebred there too but would mean I would potentially lose some work at livery as no point going all the way there to bring in 2 horses! Work as a freelancer has really dried up due to covid so every little helps currently.
C) keep everyone where they are and just hope the thoroughbred chills back down again with minimal work.

As you can tell I tend to waffle ?

holeymoley

Visit site
I'd go for B. The youngster would probably benefit from your field set up. If you move the mare I'd be too worried about upsetting her management and playing havoc with her metabolic situation.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would opt for B - I can never see the attraction of keeping horses on 2 different yards and it sounds as if a quieter set up would suit him better. I would want to know why his behaviour has deteriorated though, so would ask the vet to take a look.

dorsetladette

Visit site
B but also check for ulcers. Something must be changing his behaviour. And hope that your replacement livery also wants assistance and potentially pick up and extra client. You said it wasn't far from your field.

Izzwall

Visit site
He's not insured for vet fees yet so will get that done then get him scoped. I got a second opinion to do some work with him last night and turns out little sweet thoroughbred has hit his teenage years! Within 10 mins of groundwork he was back to his normal laid back self. I had stopped doing some of the groundwork I was doing with him and focusing more on long lining and pole work etc plus I quit smoking 2 weeks ago and mentally I've been all over the place (which has probably affected him too). Got on him last night and he did the same thing of not wanting to go forward again so growled at him to get on slapped him on the neck with my reins and off we went without a single issue! Normally with the young horses I've had its about 5/6 they hit the Kevin stage ? homebred was evil at 6 and I would of happily tied her to a gate somewhere and left her!
I spoke to my dentist yesterday too as I noticed he's still missing a canine tooth and apparently that one is the last one to come through and can be painful too. He also has one baby tooth at the front to lose as well and when my trusted friend was working him I noticed how bum high he's gone! So I think it may be a combination of his lack of confidence, teenage years, me and his body changing/growing etc.
I'm going to stay put for now I think, moving homebred is not an option I've decided and I'm also not sure I want to move the thoroughbred in with her either incase it sets her back. She's in such a good place mentally and physically, probably the best she's ever been in her life in fact.