SWB vs LWB for towing

Frumpoon

Visit site
Just wondered if ROG or anybody else had any views on the merits of swb v LWB for towing

My car will prob need changing at some point in the new year and I've been told that swb is easier for towing, especially if nervous like me

However I wondered if they had the same fuel consumption and towing capacity, it doesn't make sense if they do but the manufacturers seem to indicate they do

skint1

Visit site
I'm in no way at all expert but my understanding is that LWB are better for towing than SWB, they give a smoother, more stable experience for horse and driver. I've had both, and it appears to be true :)

ROG

Visit site
LWB is deffo more stable than SWB - I cannot argue with physics !

That does not mean that SWBs are unstable or unsafe

Driving with both hands on the wheel is SAFER than having one hand on the wheel but if the vehicle is under FULL control using one hand then that is safe - just not as safe as using two hands

paddy555

Visit site
I've owned both and towed with little difference. A LWB has the advantage of more space to put tack etc in. A SWB is far more easy to live with and manoeuvre. If you are using for other things than towing that may well be an advantage.

SuperH

Visit site
LWB more stable, SWB slightly better turning circle. We have a LWB (L200) and a SWB (Trooper Van) and I 99% of the time tow with the L200, even though that is my husbands and mine is the van. Also there is loads more room to put everything in the LWB. Trooper is better on fuel but it is newer and lighter and has more power so not really a fair comparison. They are both good trucks to tow with and off road but I wouldn't fancy taking either to the supermarket. We also tow cattle with the L200 and tow off road in very wet ground and it is excellent.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Many thanks everybody

I'm looking at the shogun circa 2004

Surely being smaller than the LWB it would be lighter, and as you say slightly less stable, but better on the mpg?

But the hand book reckons it can still pull 3 tonnes??? Surely not???

spookypony

Visit site
I had a Pajero LWB, which I adored (unfortunately, it died due to an apparently rare and unforeseeable engine fault). I have to say I got used to backing the trailer into the narrow space beside my house very quickly. With it, I felt like it didn't even notice the trailer, even with 2 horses in. Now, I'm driving an Outlander. It's LPG and (obviously) quite short. It's really wimpy by comparison, partly due to its size (and engine size), and partly due to being LPG. I can only tow one horse, and it definitely notices that; I have to be a lot more aware. I will upgrade again to a bigger, more powerful car as soon as I can afford it.

Have to say, am loving the low fuel and insurance bills on the Outlander, though... :)