Sweating pony

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Hi i was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to stop a horse from sweating alot after 10 minitues shes sweating and its making her saddle slip i dont know what to do shes been clipped

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Hi i was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to stop a horse from sweating alot after 10 minitues shes sweating and its making her saddle slip i dont know what to do shes been clipped
It has been very hot recently, perhaps try riding early morning when it is cooler? How fit is the horse? Maybe it needs to have its fitness built up?

be positive

Visit site
Sweating should not make a saddle slip if it fits properly, I am surprised any horse is sweating 10 mins into exercise however hot the weather if they are being warmed up appropriately for their fitness level they should still be warming up and not doing enough to sweat at that point, I would probably suggest a longer warm up, mainly in walk, short trots and more hacking to gradually increase the fitness and see if that helps.
The saddle slipping is a different issue, it depends a little on which way it is going, if always to one side that can be the rider being unbalanced or the horse being uneven, unlevel or, as is often the case, lame so it does need checking, if it goes forward or backwards then it may not actually fit properly.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Sweating should not make a saddle slip if it fits properly, I am surprised any horse is sweating 10 mins into exercise however hot the weather if they are being warmed up appropriately for their fitness level they should still be warming up and not doing enough to sweat at that point, I would probably suggest a longer warm up, mainly in walk, short trots and more hacking to gradually increase the fitness and see if that helps.
The saddle slipping is a different issue, it depends a little on which way it is going, if always to one side that can be the rider being unbalanced or the horse being uneven, unlevel or, as is often the case, lame so it does need checking, if it goes forward or backwards then it may not actually fit properly.
Im slipping to the side

Shay

Visit site
I know you posted about your saddle slipping in tack room too - lots of good advice there including to remove all that padding under the saddle - not surprised she is sweating under all that! - and make sure the saddle is correctly fitted. It might actually also be you! Might you be leaning more to one side than the other? Obviously difficult atm to get to see an osteopath or chiropracter but perhaps something to investigate in due course. Do you have an instructor who can tell you if you are sitting crooked?

If she is sweating after 10 minutes I wonder if she is fairly unfit at the moment? Or are you moving too quickly into fast work wihtout warming up correctly?

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Its not just me her owner is slipping aswell we just put the grip saddle pad on and the saddle didn't slip so we are thinking there was to many saddle pads but she needs extra support on her bacl

be positive

Visit site
Its not just me her owner is slipping aswell we just put the grip saddle pad on and the saddle didn't slip so we are thinking there was to many saddle pads but she needs extra support on her bacl

This has all been covered in the other thread, and everything pretty much ignored, so I am just going to add for clarity, a well fitting saddle will not slip, although the use of extra pads may cause it to, a well fitting saddle will not require an extra pad to give 'support' so the vet has either been misheard or has picked up an issue which is causing a back problem but not actually diagnosed one and suggested extra padding may help, it obviously has not, so this pony probably does need to see the vet again as giving 'support' to the back has not helped.
The sweating is either lack of fitness or could well be a sign of discomfort if it is new and could well be tied in to why the vet came in the first place, any horse that is showing signs it is struggling to work needs to see a vet if it is fit enough for the job it is doing, that can be a bit subjective so the first thing would be to increase the fitness levels by lots of slow steady work.

I realise the pony is not yours, that you are probably young and this situation is not something you have much control over but you are not listening to the advice given by some very experienced people on this forum, you just keep repeating that the pony needs extra support which we all agree is a very strange recommendation and you admit has not helped.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Ive just got her back in to work so she is under fit and fat but i didnt excpect her to sweat that much as she did i got suggested to add a half pad on top of my saddle pad by my instructor and the owner decided to add the extra pad i have now spoke to the owner last night and we have agreed to go back to our old saddle pad which i used out hacking yesterday and i wasn't slipping at all i then after went in the school and walk trot cantered and still didn't slip im ignoring everyone because i clearly put i need temporarily and getting a saddle fitter out isn't temporary i already knew i would need to get one out

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Ive just got her back in to work so she is under fit and fat but i didnt excpect her to sweat that much as she did i got suggested to add a half pad on top of my saddle pad by my instructor and the owner decided to add the extra pad i have now spoke to the owner last night and we have agreed to go back to our old saddle pad which i used out hacking yesterday and i wasn't slipping at all i then after went in the school and walk trot cantered and still didn't slip im ignoring everyone because i clearly put i need temporarily and getting a saddle fitter out isn't temporary i already knew i would need to get one out
So, if you had a pair of jeans that fit well and you then decided to put two extra pairs underneath them, would the original pair of jeans still fit you?
No.
If a saddle fits without all these saddle pads, it won't fit with them.
Sometimes there's no quick fix and to ensure the pony you ride isn't in pain you have to do the right thing.
Unfortunately you come across as not caring for the pony.
It's likely sore from a saddle that is uncomfortable hence it was bolting. If she is unfit you need to get her fit slowly and it sounds like you're doing to much for her.

be positive

Visit site
Your posts never said she was just coming back into work, was fat and unfit, they did say you were doing a jumping clinic so it was assumed she was fit enough to do that when in reality she doesn't sound fit enough to be jumping at all, if you do not put in relevant bits of information then you will not get the answers you expect and there is still the question of why a fat pony requires support under a well fitting saddle as recommended by the vet.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Shes been checked over today and ive now found out she has fat pockets and had previously had laminitis i never knew about this now i know about this im going to do research on this and try and find the best way to look after her i love her to pieces and ive had her since December we have sorted out a plan and i have done research now knowing this she will be pn restricted grazing and doing more walking hacking and lunging the reason why i was doing a jumping clinic was because we booked it ages ago to see what she would be like and her owner said she would be fine btw we didn't go to the jumping clinic i cancelled it even if i didn't get my money back jsut to make sure she was ok