Sweaty neck in the morning.

Archina

Visit site
Hey guys, i need the use of the H&H collective brain! For the past 2 mornings and a cpl mornings ago Haffeyt (one of my rescue horses) has been a bit sweaty on his neck. Just checked on all the horses tonight cause Katie is roaring (all because she couldnt see Candy for all of 10 mins or so lol) and ive just noticed that once again, Haffeyt is a bit sweaty on his neck. He def isnt too warm as he isnt sweaty underneath his rug. He hasnt had any changes in diet or clothing and seems happy enough in himself with no change in temperment or anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers in advance! xx

sprite1978

Visit site
Is it just damp patches on the neck or the whole neck? I had a similar thing, and it got me a bit confused for a while. It turned out it was where my horses neck was touching the stable door frame. So it wasnt sweat at all. Just moisture of the damp door frame.

Archina

Visit site
Is it just damp patches on the neck or the whole neck? I had a similar thing, and it got me a bit confused for a while. It turned out it was where my horses neck was touching the stable door frame. So it wasnt sweat at all. Just moisture of the damp door frame.

He has definitely been sweating as he is hot on his neck also and its on both sides of his neck. This is the 4th times its happened and all recently. :/

hannahmurphy

Visit site
It's still mild out there, might be very slightly over rugged .... By this point I would imagine a belly full of nice warming hay, add a fuzzy coat, silly mild weather & a rug .... ;)

Archina

Visit site
It's still mild out there, might be very slightly over rugged .... By this point I would imagine a belly full of nice warming hay, add a fuzzy coat, silly mild weather & a rug .... ;)

I agree, it has been very mild but its colder tonight up in Scotland and not as warm as it has been on nights previously where he has been rugged up the same and not sweated. Also, would he not be sweating up underneath his rug instead of just his neck? I really dont think it has to do with his clothing. :confused:

mini-eventer

Visit site
I also think if he is sweating he is too hot. He may sweat on his neck first. Mine does when I am riding him even with excercise sheets on etc

is he clipped?

what breed is he?

What weight rug is he wearing?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Is the coat a bit longer than last year?
Is he drinking more?
Are there any other signs you might see? - bulging over eyes etc?

Just little Fuzzy has recently been diagnosed cushings & the sweating was one of the 1st outward signs, tho this was not just on neck but also on lower flanks too.

Hope you get to the bottom of it :)

Archina

Visit site
He is an american TB so looks more like a warmblood. He is currently having a year of work so isnt clipped, he isnt drinking anymore than normal and his coat is the same as last winter. He is 12yrs old. He does get slightly stiff in the morning when coming out of his stable, was told by a friend that it could possibly be low level pain :confused:

He wears an underneath rug which isnt too thick and then a medium weight on top, will take the thinnest one off tonight and see if it makes any difference.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
My welsh did this the other week. I thought it was the start of colic and panicked. When I took his rug off there was no sweat there.

The nights have been really warm recently so i changed his rug to a light weight one and he is now fed hay, not haylege and he has stopped sweating. I think it was a combination of the yummy haylege and too warm a rug!

Annagain

Visit site
Mine getswhat I call a stress patch on his neck. When he's stressed/excited he gets one little patch of sweat under his mane on one side of his neck. Anythign can set him off, travelling, clipping, being the last to be fed. Often he doesn't appear to be any different in bahaviour but something has got him going!

fatpiggy

Visit site
If he isn't clipped he really doesn't need a rug! My oldie is 28 and feels the cold but nature has provided a nice woolly coat and she is only rugged (with a fleece) when it is around zero at 8am. It was 10 degrees this morning and she was toasty and naked. I didn't bother putting her turnout sheet on either even though it was drizzling as the forecast for later is better.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
If he isn't clipped he really doesn't need a rug! My oldie is 28 and feels the cold but nature has provided a nice woolly coat and she is only rugged (with a fleece) when it is around zero at 8am. It was 10 degrees this morning and she was toasty and naked. I didn't bother putting her turnout sheet on either even though it was drizzling as the forecast for later is better.

That's YOUR horse though, they're all different. My 28yo isn't clipped but is still rugged, although only in a lightweight. He would get very cold if I didn't rug him at all, and he has a very woolly coat.