MickeyFinn22

Visit site
I was wondering how everyone else was dealing with sweet itch this year? It may just be me but it seems extra bad this time. Has anyone ever used the TurmerItch by the golden paste company? My boy is currently on the horse herbs healthy skin mix which seemed to be ok last year (paired with a Boett rug and Killitch). But he is still rubbing his mane, to the point it is annoying him to hog his mane.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Its my second year using switch on both sweet itchy ponies. Its working really well, no rugs on either only problem being with all the rain I haven't been applying weekly as it'll just hwt washed straight off so when a dry day or so appears have to be quick applying it

Griffin

Visit site
I have found TurmerItch works well for my mare. Supplements can be quite individual though, so I would contact them for a free sample to try first.

MickeyFinn22

Visit site
Its my second year using switch on both sweet itchy ponies. Its working really well, no rugs on either only problem being with all the rain I haven't been applying weekly as it'll just hwt washed straight off so when a dry day or so appears have to be quick applying it
Ah ok lovely thank you. I have seen reference to Switch before. I shall take a look 😁

MickeyFinn22

Visit site
Ha ok have you used it for a while? I did get some from Bramham and he seemed to like it and I dare say there was a difference but it was only a couple of days worth. I have messaged to see if they could send another out though!
I have found TurmerItch works well for my mare. Supplements can be quite individual though, so I would contact them for a free sample to try first.

claret09

Visit site
can i also suggest that you really regularly give your boy a wash - i find that really helps. apart from anything it gets rid of any build up of creams

babymare

Visit site
My lass suffered bad and my vet advised sweet itch rug on end January till end of November all time. Sounds extreme but by heck the sweet itch was so much better. It’s the first bite that starts reaction and has they scratch it makes a perfect environment for more to bite. Have to say rather funny when all others rugged against snow my lass stood in fly rug. 🤣

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The best thing I find is to feed vitamin B3 basically niacinamide you dilute it in water and feed 20mls a day, it's the main ingredient in cavalesse and herd leader itch solution.

Reactions: tda

Surbie

Visit site
I have my horse rugged from March to whenever the frosts appear regularly, hot cloth him and use Killitch weekly on the tail and mane. So far this year there have only been 3 scabby bits in the forelock area and nothing anywhere else.

He is more itchy at the moment, but I am putting that down to also shedding.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
So far this year (frantically touches wood) we’ve had no itching at all and his mane is still intact. I started him on herdleader vitamin B3 in the spring which I didn’t do last year and fingers crossed it seems to be working.

sychnant

Visit site
Mine hasn't worn a SI rug for 2 years now. He was on Piriton every day from Feb/March through to October for a couple of years previously, but now he just has them if he needs them.

smolmaus

Visit site
We have been pretty good this year. Lost a giant chunk of mane but it was during that very hot spell in June so I think it was heat-itch rather than sweet-itch that did for that. Tail and ears so far intact!

I also use B3 and she's always rugged, same as last year so I think the only difference is either the midge numbers here with the wet weather or another year of being on the Itchy Horse capsules. They're supposed to work better year on year 🤷‍♀️

MickeyFinn22

Visit site
My lass suffered bad and my vet advised sweet itch rug on end January till end of November all time. Sounds extreme but by heck the sweet itch was so much better. It’s the first bite that starts reaction and has they scratch it makes a perfect environment for more to bite. Have to say rather funny when all others rugged against snow my lass stood in fly rug. 🤣
Oh bless her! Yeah I bet she stuck out 😂

MickeyFinn22

Visit site
We have been pretty good this year. Lost a giant chunk of mane but it was during that very hot spell in June so I think it was heat-itch rather than sweet-itch that did for that. Tail and ears so far intact!

I also use B3 and she's always rugged, same as last year so I think the only difference is either the midge numbers here with the wet weather or another year of being on the Itchy Horse capsules. They're supposed to work better year on year 🤷‍♀️
Oh thank you I will look at the capsules!

MickeyFinn22

Visit site
So far this year (frantically touches wood) we’ve had no itching at all and his mane is still intact. I started him on herdleader vitamin B3 in the spring which I didn’t do last year and fingers crossed it seems to be working.
Oh excellent! Someone else has said that I will have a look!

MickeyFinn22

Visit site
I have my horse rugged from March to whenever the frosts appear regularly, hot cloth him and use Killitch weekly on the tail and mane. So far this year there have only been 3 scabby bits in the forelock area and nothing anywhere else.

He is more itchy at the moment, but I am putting that down to also shedding.
Aye yes that is my usual routine. In all fairness he does only have it mild but his neck and mane is driving him scatty at the minute!

smolmaus

Visit site
Oh thank you I will look at the capsules!
They feel very expensive to invest in, £240 for 12 months worth. Works out at £4.60 a week. I've seen slight year on year improvement with my mare but all the sweet itch ponies at the sanctuary I used to volunteer for are also on them and a few will still struggle. As with anything, mileage may vary!

Griffin

Visit site
Ha ok have you used it for a while? I did get some from Bramham and he seemed to like it and I dare say there was a difference but it was only a couple of days worth. I have messaged to see if they could send another out though!

Yes, about two years now. It works well enough that we don't need a rug.