Sweet itch and melanoms

merlin12

Visit site
Hi everyone, This is my first thread . Just wondered if Sweet itch and melanomas would put people of buying a horse ,and how it would effect the price.Also has any one got any experience of these issues.

rhino

Visit site
Personally I would not buy a horse with sweet itch under any circumstances; watching a good friend's horse suffer to the extent he was pts (self harming even if kept electric fenced etc. away from anything he could rub on) really put me off. I deal with plenty of more 'minor' sweet itch horses but would not consider buying one. Some of these are 'happy' enough in Boett type rugs and with stringent management.

Re: melanomas, yes that would put me off too (although I'm too lazy to buy a grey so that would cut my chances anyway). If I were looking for a mid - upper level comp horse or schoolmaster type I would consider it if the horse was perfect in every other way. Price would very much depend on the individual horse :)

Oh, and hello and welcome :D

be positive

Visit site
I had a grey cob that had both, he irritated the melanomas on his neck constantly and they became very aggressive growing so rapidly that he was sadly pts aged 11, my vet could not believe how quickly he deteriorated and it was the only thing to do.
I would never buy one knowingly at any price.

galaxy

Visit site
depends on the age and number I suppose. If it was young and had them, yes I expect it would put a lot of people off. But an older horse with only 1/2? Probably not.

I lost my old boy at 17 to melanomas, so I'll never buy another grey, let alone one with a melanoma....

SophieLouBee

Visit site
If I was buying a top, say junior horse, to give a young rider a couple of seasons before they move on, event/DR/SJ etc, and it fitted the bill perfectly, in every other way, then I would possibly consider one with the above problems. Only, as long as I could manage them to a degree in which they wouldn't affect the horses performance/overall wellbeing (obviously a horse with sweetitch is always going to be itchy to some degree, but it can be managed, so you see my point).

I, as far as I am aware, am never going to be looking for any of the above, so no I wouldn't consider a horse with melanomas or sweet-itch.

Equinus

Visit site
No and no!

I would never buy a grey again, never mind one with melanomas. Although my old mare only had a very few melanomas in her later years, it was a constant worry that there may be others inside where I couldn't see them. We had 25 wonderful years and she died showing no sign of old age or illness, suddenly in her field.

Sweet itch is a growing problem and it's a shame that lots of horses and ponies have to live such a restricted life because of it. Maybe if had my own land I might reconsider, as it would be easier to manage on my doorstep. But not a really bad one. Taking away the chance to scratch is going to send a horse loopy. If I was itching really badly and couldn't scratch I know I would!

Which has set me scratching..................

ridefast

Visit site
Having had a horse with sweet itch, and not even severe sweet itch I would say no. Same with melanomas I wouldn't want to buy problems. Although a mare at work has lots of melanomas and doesn't suffer but all she does is a broodmare

xTrooperx

Visit site
If the horse was right and had a lovely nature i WOULD have a horse with sweet-itch, as i feel if known about it before hand you can have a chance of preventing the reaction with good rugging/stabling.
Though i wouldn't expect to pay £££.