Sweet Itch - Best ways to control it

[142807]

Visit site
Can anyone offer some proven remedies for Sweet Itch. My new mare suffers from it and I’ve heard Marmite and Avon So Soft has been used successfully by some people. How much marmite do you use?

We live in a boiling hot country so unfortunately a standard Sweet Itch rug adds a layer which is not appreciated in 40 degrees of heat and humidity so are there any rugs out there that won’t add another layer of heat? I visit the UK so can get pretty much anything needed as long as it works.

sychnant

Visit site
I've tried everything with mine over the years. This year he doesn't look like he has it. I think that's because he had laminitis this year, and spent 2 months on box rest, and was therefore in at dawn and dusk when the midges are most active. He also has Piriton, and a diet free of cereals, soya, sugar etc.

(Not the pony in my avatar!)

PurBee

Visit site
Ive used aloe vera in the past and it worked well.
The marmite has b vitamins in so could have helped skin heal.

Avon skin so soft i wouldnt use as there are about 20 toxic ingredients in that that i wouldnt put onto broken/compromised skin personally.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
My ‘treatment’ for my sweet itch horse ( not the avatar ) consists of

living in a breezy place
wrapping said horse completely all year, head, neck, body, belly and udder.

I use a snuggy head and neck with a cotton sheet with belly wrap and an udder cover plus a turnout on top in winter. In summer she wears a snuggy head plus eye covers, a Shires sweet itch rug with neck and belly wrap and an udder cover I stitched on.

Although this is unproven I don’t feed garlic, alfalfa, molasses, or cereals.

She doesn’t look as if she has sweet-itch at all.

Edited to add... I would be cautious of using anything oily externally. It might burn in your high temperatures

I hope you can find a way to make your horse more comfortable.

Esmae

Visit site
There is an injection available. I have a friend using it on his horse. I think you have to give 3 doses and it is expensive. Worth asking your vet about it. Other than that the best I found was a good rug but take your point about your excessive heat.

Cleopatra90

Visit site
It sounds like keeping her in during the worst of the midges would be a good option considering the temperatures where you are! The sweet itch help pages on Facebook may be able to help more on ways to keep her comfortable without a rug?

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
We used sudocrem on broken skin to heal and keep flies out.
Nettex summer freedom cream on itchy bits that works miracles absolutely love the stuff! I’d smoother her face in it, it does smell and the flies aren’t a fan!
Regular baths in tea tree shampoo.
We fed brewers yeast in her feed and I do honestly think it made a difference.

This pony changed from coming to us covered in sores her whole belly was raw, to within a few months not scratching at all!

There are a few months difference between the photos but all done using the above ^

Attachments

• F2538D8D-4682-4AAF-A862-499F322D9086.jpeg
    F2538D8D-4682-4AAF-A862-499F322D9086.jpeg
    985.5 KB · Views: 5

Yeomans

Visit site
Sulphur 30c tablets, one bottle of 120 tablets cost around £8. I start my Connemara around March just one tablet a day in feed until around October then I stop. If really bad you could do 2 tablets a day. Doesn't work for every horse but has been excellent for my horse.

swilliam

Visit site
WE tried all sorts wth our very itchy horse, but have found that feeding him only dried grass and speedibeet, with salt, linseed and brewers yeast works best - last year we didn't even rug him and he was fine.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Best piece of advice is to avoid garlic! (this my vet's advice).

There is an excellent little FB group called "Sweet Itch Support" which you may find useful.

I don't have a sweet itchy any more, my dear old boy had it, bless him, but he's no longer with us :( In a strange way I miss having to deal with all his lotions and potions, and rugs.