Sweet itch hood accident

LaurenBay

Visit site
Has anyone ever had any problems with the Sweet Itch Horze hood with the nose net?

Friends Horse who I am looking after was turned out on Saturday with her hood on (put on by me) she was grazing and apparently stepped on the nose net, the nose net did not break off which caused the hood to pull down. Unfortunately the ear holes were pulled down over the Horses eyes. She freaked and no one could catch her as she was essentially blind as the hood had pulled tight and her eyelids swelled over the top of it, every time someone went near her she got so frightened she took off again, she was shaking and sweating all over. Eventually she was caught and the hood removed, vet was called and said she needed to go Horsepital as could potentially have done some serious damage but because the eyelids had swelled so badly he couldn't see what she had done. Luckily she is not blind, but has scratched both corneas badly and both eyes now have ulcers on the bottom lids. She is still in Horsepital as has to have drops 5 times a day, plus they are worried about infection. Hopefully home tonight or tomorrow.

Friend complained to Horse Hoodz as said the nose net should have broken off which would prevent the hood from being pulled down the face. Horse Hoodz have replied to say friend bought the wrong size and should have bought the next size up (not sure how that would have helped)

Has anyone heard of this happening before?

TheMule

Visit site
I'm afraid this is the danger of the full face hoods. It's not uncommon for them to get pulled down and the horse to panic, however it happens initially it is an inherent danger with the design.
We lost a very goo advanced horse because another horse pulled his over his eyes and he panicked and ran blind.

be positive

Visit site
I'm afraid this is the danger of the full face hoods. It's not uncommon for them to get pulled down and the horse to panic, however it happens initially it is an inherent danger with the design.
We lost a very goo advanced horse because another horse pulled his over his eyes and he panicked and ran blind.

I would never use one again, luckily my young pony did the most sensible thing he could by standing firmly against the fence, post and rail not electric, until I rescued him, he was only left for a couple of hours and no damage was done but it put me off ever using one again.

I hope the horse makes a full recovery but would guess it was just very unlucky that she stepped on the net in such a way that it didn't break away although it could still happen with some rigorous rolling or a companion getting hold of it.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Thanks both, Luckily it looks like no lasting damage done and Horse is insured. A massive stress for my friend who is pregnant and due in 3 weeks. Horse is an angel and despite the fact she couldn't see, she was just trying to flee people (or rather a sudden touch) then kick out. Friend was not able to do much since she could not risk being knocked over. Luckily other liveries at the yard where able to corner the Horse and my friend just spoke to her the whole time which seemed to settle the Horse.

TheMule, so sorry you lost your Horse :(

Notimetoride

Visit site
I had a Boett hood twist round and blind a pony once (not literally - temporarily) Thankfully she stayed quiet so I could sort it, but she could have been like that for hours as I was at work. Current horse has terrible sweet itch but I will never use a full hood again.

Sophire

Visit site
My horse is almost done with her rehab after running blindly through fencing in the first week of January. It was the second day she went out with her new turnout hood, which was later found hooked up in a tree near to where she was found. We're not sure if it slipped when she ran, or if it was the cause of her running but it's safe to say she won't ever be wearing one again!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
What a rubbish response from Horse Hoodz. I was considering getting a full hood for our mini who has sweet itch so thank you to OP and others for sharing their experience - a bog standard fly rug will have to do!

AFB

Visit site
Hate full face hood with a passion, they're an accident waiting to happen. Have adjusted so many off other horses eyes at liveries, I'm usually the last one in the evening so they'd be left all night if not.

LaurenBay

Visit site
What a rubbish response from Horse Hoodz. I was considering getting a full hood for our mini who has sweet itch so thank you to OP and others for sharing their experience - a bog standard fly rug will have to do!

My friend has emailed back with a further complaint as she is not happy with their response. Vet has just called and Horse still needs a further 2 days treatment so is staying there for another few days. Friend is kicking herself for putting the hood on. I would not recommend putting a full face hood on now after seeing what it has done to this Horse. It seems accidents like this are common.

Kate23

Visit site
Educational post for me - My horse currently wears a sweet itch rug and I was toying with buying the full face hood that attaches to the neck of the rug - This post has put me off - I'll stick with the fly mask that he can wriggle out of and his buddy can pull clean off without fear of him being stuck!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
OH's Charlie Horse had a Boett blanket with hood, one day it slipped and he too ran blind. When he heard me calling (to pacify him as he was in a panic) he tried to get to me, slipped and tripped and it was awful.

The hood went in the bin the same day!

I use the mesh fly masks now because even if they do slip the horse has some vision.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Educational post for me - My horse currently wears a sweet itch rug and I was toying with buying the full face hood that attaches to the neck of the rug - This post has put me off - I'll stick with the fly mask that he can wriggle out of and his buddy can pull clean off without fear of him being stuck!

Glad I posted this now, as you are the second member to have said they will not buy one after reading this. I didn't realize how dangerous they were, I used one on my own Horse a couple of times. I would never do that now though.

Laika

Visit site
Got to say, the customer service your friend has received is abysmal. Did they not show any sympathy at all or just proceed to point their finger? Good Grief.

Hoping horse has a speedy recovery and owner is okay! Would've been stressful enough for her without a little baby on the way!

LaurenBay

Visit site
They did say they hoped the Horse recovers and sorry to hear whats happened. But mainly it was just to say friend bought the wrong size and it is up to the buyer to ensure correct fit. She has said the fit of it is neither here nor there, the nose net should break from the hood easily if Horse becomes trapped.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I've seen a few horses end up with these types of hoods over their eyes, and I've had it happen to my old lad, although he was insanely chilled and just waited to be rescued, with no lasting damage to his eyes. I won't use them for that reason. Dangerous, awful things. So sorry for the horse and your friend, and I'm not impressed by Horze's response either...

Laika

Visit site
They did say they hoped the Horse recovers and sorry to hear whats happened. But mainly it was just to say friend bought the wrong size and it is up to the buyer to ensure correct fit. She has said the fit of it is neither here nor there, the nose net should break from the hood easily if Horse becomes trapped.

Ah good, at least they showed some humanity.

I do have to agree, I don't understand what that has to do with the breakability of the nose net, but they're probably just covering their backs - just had a nosy at their website and they have this disclaimer "please note that this is only an approximate guide in helping you decide what Horzehood to purchase, we can not guarantee by following this it will fit your horse, all horses are different and carry different muscle definition & bone." as their sizing chart is based on rug sizes (so imo quite vague).

I don't understand how the nose net couldn't have been attached with Velcro, similar to field safe head collars? Or perhaps I am being naive.

scats

Visit site
Many years ago I arrived at our old yard to hear a commotion in one stable. I found a pony with his hood over his eyes, spinning in the stable in panic. Every time I tried to help him, he tried to kick me in a panic because he didn’t have a clue what I was doing and couldn’t see me. I managed to grab it as he spun past and I just kept hold and he sort of stopped and realised what I was trying to do, which allowed me to go in and sort it out.
I told owner and she was horrified. She never put it back on him.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I had a snuggy hood one for my sweet itch mare. We assume hers moved with rubbing (trust me, it was a very snug fit!) and she either was chased or ran blind through fencing onto the drive. She headbutted a fence post on the other side which fortunately had barbed wire on. This snagged the hood and pulled it off. She escaped with a small cut, but it never went back on.

southerncomfort

Visit site
It never even occurred to me that this was an issue but I can see how it could so easily happen.

Will rethink using one for my mare now. I only got it because she has a very pink muzzle and burns easily, but I think we'll go with extra sun cream this year!

Nasicus

Visit site
Another one that had a full face hood pulled down over their horses eyes. First time she wore it, went out in the evening, was found next morning with it covering her eyes, luckily no damage. Also had the same happen with one of those lycra fly masks on another horse. Standard flymasks only from now on, at least they can be pulled off completely.

googol

Visit site
Omg this thread is terrifying. How awful for horses and owners. Another who will never use one in the future! Also don’t understand how the company can blame the fitting without even seeing it in person

LaurenBay

Visit site
Omg this thread is terrifying. How awful for horses and owners. Another who will never use one in the future! Also don’t understand how the company can blame the fitting without even seeing it in person

Friend sent them a pic of her wearing it so they could see it clearly fitted her but as she is a 6'3 in rug they said she should have the XL. She has a dainty head though an XL would have been far too big. I didn't realize hood accidents were so common. Horse is still at the vets but coming home on Sunday, vets have said no lasting damage done.

eggs

Visit site
Back in the 1990's when full face hoods for turnouts first came out I bought one for my horse. One day it slipped as he got up from rolling and covered his eyes. Very fortunately some-one was turning their horse out as it happened and was able to grab him and reposition the hood before he took off. When I was told about it that evening I chucked the flipping thing in the bin and have never used one since. It still makes me shiver when people post pictures of their horse in a face hood.

mjcssjw2

Visit site
a friends horse had both corneas very badly damaged by the hood slipping and rubbing them. Dont think many people realise

Mrs B

Visit site
I'm afraid I wince every time I see one of these ... I'm usually one of the first up to yards in the mornings, and more than a few times have either had to deal with a horse who has their eyes completely covered, or one where the hood has twisted to one side and the edge of the eye holes have caused swellings or rubbed the eyes themselves. And that's both in the stables and in the field.

oldie48

Visit site
I'm another who binned a snuggy hood because it slipped and covered Mr B's eyes. Thankfully he was very sensible and stood still in his field until I found him and was able to remove it. I still use the body and detachable neck though as it does a good job of keeping him free of bites, however, there is a bit of a knack putting it all on. I did accidently let the apron bit fall to the floor in front of him and he had a complete panic as he couldn't get away from it as the rest of the body was on him. I very nearly got squished, lesson learned i am not very careful!

LaurenBay

Visit site
Friend sent them a pic of her wearing it so they could see it clearly fitted her but as she is a 6'3 in rug they said she should have the XL. She has a dainty head though an XL would have been far too big. I didn't realize hood accidents were so common. Horse is still at the vets but coming home on Sunday, vets have said no lasting damage done.

Well Horse Hoodz are not taking any responsibility for the nose net not coming off. Instead they have responded to say Horses should not be left unattended in hoods? Surely if a hood is designed for turnout and has been through numerous tests as they have pointed out, the hood should be safe to turn out in? not sure how much time they have but most owners can't turn their Horses out and stand watch for hours on end. Same goes for Hoods worn overnight in stables.

be positive

Visit site
Well Horse Hoodz are not taking any responsibility for the nose net not coming off. Instead they have responded to say Horses should not be left unattended in hoods? Surely if a hood is designed for turnout and has been through numerous tests as they have pointed out, the hood should be safe to turn out in? not sure how much time they have but most owners can't turn their Horses out and stand watch for hours on end. Same goes for Hoods worn overnight in stables.

They are trying to cover their back in case this gets taken further, proving it in court may be tricky but their statement about not leaving horses unattended, unless it was made clear when purchased, is almost admitting there is an issue and they know about it, if the owner has the inclination it may be worth going to small claims, there are certainly plenty of people on here to back her up.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Very odd they even came back with that comment, they must realize that Horses will be unattended in these hoods. Friend has tried to break the nose net off and can't I have told her to take photos and videos of this. Friend has asked that Horse Hoodz refund the cost of the hood and cover the weekly livery bill that the Horse spent in the vets. Friends insurance is covering the cost of the treatment.

be positive

Visit site
I think she should get some money from them and it doesn't cost much to use the small claims court, the suggestion may be enough to make them pay, they may try to gag her from commenting about them on social media so that is another route to use, plastered on facebook will not be a good selling point nor would a thread on here with their name in the title, although you would have to be careful about breaking the T&C's.