Sweet itch - ideas to get it under control?

saddlesore

Visit site
I would clip and bathe her in oatmeal shampoo, get a boett blanket and hood on and cover all exposed areas in biteback. I’d wash her and her rug/mask weekly so have a second set ready to go. Don’t remove it apart from that. Weight loss program. See how she goes. It’s a horrible thing and I totally agree with the poster who said removing her option to scratch is cruel, you (as in all of us SI horse owners) need to remove the need to scratch in the first place. Good luck, it’s hard

maya2008

Visit site
I would clip and bathe her in oatmeal shampoo, get a boett blanket and hood on and cover all exposed areas in biteback. I’d wash her and her rug/mask weekly so have a second set ready to go. Don’t remove it apart from that. Weight loss program. See how she goes. It’s a horrible thing and I totally agree with the poster who said removing her option to scratch is cruel, you (as in all of us SI horse owners) need to remove the need to scratch in the first place. Good luck, it’s hard
Do you have a skin condition that itches? I grew up with eczema. It itches and itches. Annoying, but just that - annoying. Then you scratch and break the skin and it hurts - really hurts, for days while it heals. I have never not regretted scratching. My kids have the intense urge to scratch scabs and they get bigger and bigger and more and more painful. I cover them with plasters and clothing or they would never heal. I cannot see how stopping someone from hurting themselves is cruel. We are obviously working on the source of the itch, but in the meantime…