Sweet Itch Issues

AnnMarie2011

Visit site
I have a gyspy cob mare who suffers horrendously with sweet itch! This year im trying to get ready in anticipation of another nightmare summer, last year I couldn't ride for the whole or summer because her skin was horrendous! After numerous trips to the vets we found creams that help her with the scabs and the itchyness and this year I want to be better prepared. Im looking at what rugs people reccommends I got her a premier equine last year but it rubber her so bad and she really got to hot in it so I stopped using it. Please an people help me with what rugs works for them or any other tips do stop the itch!!!!

eggs

Visit site
Fortunately I have never had a horse with sweet itch but I have heard very good things about the Boet rugs.

I did once get a pony vetted for my daughter in the winter but my vet said that she strongly suspected the pony had sweet itch which was why it was being sold in the winter so I walked away from it.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Bear with me on this one. Friend bought a lovely mare some years ago that turned out to be a SI sufferer. In the same year, I discovered that Selsun 2.5% shampoo removed all scabs, dandruff and general skin gunk off my itchy cob's legs, as well as anihilating the mite population. Friend sold the mare on, complete with Boet rugs and bottles of lotions.
So.....it would appear that the midges are attracted to the dandruff as a food source. Does SI occur because the horse produces dandruff, or is the dandruff in response to the irritation? Either way, is it possible to keep the skin clean to remove the attraction - or is the dandruff generated regardless?

smolmaus

Visit site
I have a gyspy cob mare who suffers horrendously with sweet itch! This year im trying to get ready in anticipation of another nightmare summer, last year I couldn't ride for the whole or summer because her skin was horrendous! After numerous trips to the vets we found creams that help her with the scabs and the itchyness and this year I want to be better prepared. Im looking at what rugs people reccommends I got her a premier equine last year but it rubber her so bad and she really got to hot in it so I stopped using it. Please an people help me with what rugs works for them or any other tips do stop the itch!!!!
I have joined a FB group "Sweet Itch Support" that has been very helpful in knowing what works for other people. Every pony is different is the unfortunate conclusion!

I have deosect for weekly baths on our vet's recommendation, biteback with NEEM and their soothing barrier/ lotion for topical application, a shires highlander which is one of the most often recommended (other than the Boett which is very expensive) and a waterproof bucas buzz off (fly sheet not sweet itch) for rainy days which was recommended by a friend.

I've also ordered the Bio Eos tablets from Itchy Horse as she was on those last year (when she was still in the sanctuary) and only rubbed her mane out. Starting those this week. And will invest in the Snuggy Hood Bug Rug when they release this years stock.

A lot of people swear by brewers yeast, some say that redbush tea works (no real evidence that I can find) and supplementing omega 3 with flaxseed or linseed is also a common one but I am trying to avoid adding excess calories in feed as I am also worried about her ballooning and becoming laminitic! COBS!

AnnMarie2011

Visit site
Bear with me on this one. Friend bought a lovely mare some years ago that turned out to be a SI sufferer. In the same year, I discovered that Selsun 2.5% shampoo removed all scabs, dandruff and general skin gunk off my itchy cob's legs, as well as anihilating the mite population. Friend sold the mare on, complete with Boet rugs and bottles of lotions.
So.....it would appear that the midges are attracted to the dandruff as a food source. Does SI occur because the horse produces dandruff, or is the dandruff in response to the irritation? Either way, is it possible to keep the skin clean to remove the attraction - or is the dandruff generated regardless?

Her skin is awful and does get really dry and dandruffy so maybe bathing all the time will help if thats what attracts the mites! Just dont want to see the poor thing in the state she was in last year :(

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The midges that cause sweet itch are blood feeders. The dander is caused as a reaction to the skin irritation and has nothing to do with attracting the midges.

smolmaus

Visit site
True sweet itch is an autoimmune response, nothing to do with dandruff. Whether or not dandruff makes the horse more attractive to midge bites is something I haven't ever heard before. I don't think midges eat dandruff.

Letting the skin get dry due to itching or a buildup of product in the hair will cause dandruff, which will add an additional source of itchyness on top of the autoimmune response from midge bites. So I would think it is a related problem but not a direct relation to sweet itch. The Selsun could have something in it that also repels midges.

AnnMarie2011

Visit site
I have joined a FB group "Sweet Itch Support" that has been very helpful in knowing what works for other people. Every pony is different is the unfortunate conclusion!

I have deosect for weekly baths on our vet's recommendation, biteback with NEEM and their soothing barrier/ lotion for topical application, a shires highlander which is one of the most often recommended (other than the Boett which is very expensive) and a waterproof bucas buzz off (fly sheet not sweet itch) for rainy days which was recommended by a friend.

I've also ordered the Bio Eos tablets from Itchy Horse as she was on those last year (when she was still in the sanctuary) and only rubbed her mane out. Starting those this week. And will invest in the Snuggy Hood Bug Rug when they release this years stock.

A lot of people swear by brewers yeast, some say that redbush tea works (no real evidence that I can find) and supplementing omega 3 with flaxseed or linseed is also a common one but I am trying to avoid adding excess calories in feed as I am also worried about her ballooning and becoming laminitic! COBS!

I am in that group already lol and regularley check in to see what people reccomend. Will snuggy hoods be releasing a sweet itch rug again? I cant seem to find information to buy them anywhere at the minute and was initially torn between that and the boett.

smolmaus

Visit site
I am in that group already lol and regularley check in to see what people reccomend. Will snuggy hoods be releasing a sweet itch rug again? I cant seem to find information to buy them anywhere at the minute and was initially torn between that and the boett.
I emailed to ask and they said to be released in early Feb. They have their flash clearance sale of their winter gear on now so should be coming soon!

ETA: Bathing regularly is important for general skin health and to remove old product so do that anyway! But a rug that fits her well is your most important tool in the arsenal.

AnnMarie2011

Visit site
I emailed to ask and they said to be released in early Feb. They have their flash clearance sale of their winter gear on now so should be coming soon!

ETA: Bathing regularly is important for general skin health and to remove old product so do that anyway! But a rug that fits her well is your most important tool in the arsenal.
I just couldnt rug her last year because the premier equine rubbed all her skin and I ended up with sweet itch and random bald patches which made her even worse and she is naturally a hot horse and the premier equine is rather heavy and bulky.

smolmaus

Visit site
I just couldnt rug her last year because the premier equine rubbed all her skin and I ended up with sweet itch and random bald patches which made her even worse and she is naturally a hot horse and the premier equine is rather heavy and bulky.
I don't think there is anything topical you can apply that's going to be as effective as a rug unfortunately. Maybe if she was a mild sufferer you could get away with it but it doesn't seem like she is.

I think the snuggy hood one is reportedly quite warm as well. I haven't seen a PE one to compare to the Shires unfortunately. Can you/ have you clipped her to keep her cooler? Mine has never been clipped in her life and generally has a fine summer coat but I'm going to start getting her used to clippers soon anyway just in case.

AnnMarie2011

Visit site

I just couldnt rug her last year because the premier equine rubbed all her skin and I ended up with sweet itch and random bald patches which made her even worse and she is naturally a hot horse and the premier equine is rather heavy an
I don't think there is anything topical you can apply that's going to be as effective as a rug unfortunately. Maybe if she was a mild sufferer you could get away with it but it doesn't seem like she is.

I think the snuggy hood one is reportedly quite warm as well. I haven't seen a PE one to compare to the Shires unfortunately. Can you/ have you clipped her to keep her cooler? Mine has never been clipped in her life and generally has a fine summer coat but I'm going to start getting her used to clippers soon anyway just in case.

I clipped her last summer and hogged her her main area is under her belly she just gets eaten alive and the inside of her back legs which then meant she couldnt be worked all summer because of a girth and then she gets to fat and im in a constant cycle that I need to break lol! Finding somewhere to buy a boett rug is always proving a struggle not to mention the cost!

smolmaus

Visit site
I clipped her last summer and hogged her her main area is under her belly she just gets eaten alive and the inside of her back legs which then meant she couldnt be worked all summer because of a girth and then she gets to fat and im in a constant cycle that I need to break lol! Finding somewhere to buy a boett rug is always proving a struggle not to mention the cost!
Poor girl, that does sound miserable for her.

Snuggy do an udder cover which is sold separately, even if it is warm on her it might be a worthwhile tradeoff. She would be less warm if she wasn't too chubby from being able to get some exercise! I think Boett do an udder cover as well but the site that sells them new here (Itchy Horse) doesn't have them listed anywhere. Might be worth an email to them as well if you're considering the Boett.

Have you read about salt therapy or the Insol injection or are either of those an option? Insol needs your vet to be open minded as it's off-script use and some won't prescribe.

AnnMarie2011

Visit site
Poor girl, that does sound miserable for her.

Snuggy do an udder cover which is sold separately, even if it is warm on her it might be a worthwhile tradeoff. She would be less warm if she wasn't too chubby from being able to get some exercise! I think Boett do an udder cover as well but the site that sells them new here (Itchy Horse) doesn't have them listed anywhere. Might be worth an email to them as well if you're considering the Boett.

Have you read about salt therapy or the Insol injection or are either of those an option? Insol needs your vet to be open minded as it's off-script use and some won't prescribe.

I have read about the salt therapy and seen a few horses using it on facebook but I am sceptical but maybe after last year I need to be more open to ideas! I don't think the injection will be an option I took her to the vets a couple of times last year and they never mentioned it just gave me some strong cream which does clear the scabs and cuts up but I think maybe a boett will be my best option this year. It just worries me spending all that money and me not measuring it right lol and dont they go on over her head?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I did swear by the Horseware and premier Equine ones, but I did still daily do the bite back along her belly line and her mane area and rubbed into her dock. I have had her since she was 10 so over 12 years now and have tried almost everything going.

Now don't shoot me down for this but neither my vet or I quite know how we stumbled across this and why it works. Bit long, but might help someone else.

Two years ago one of my donkeys was struggling with mites, he does every spring despite treating them all at the same time and twice two weeks apart and I struggle to clear them up. So my vet came out and double dosed both him and the rest of them with Ivermectin. He came out and double dosed them all again 2 weeks later.

That summer my mare did not wear a SI rug of any sort, I still did her belly line and mane and dock with the Bite back cream and sprayed her and the donkeys once a day with Leovet power phaser. So last February he came out again and did the same as the previous spring for all of them, and yet again she did not need a rug for the whole summer. I did have to put a zebra rug on her for about 3 weeks, but that was because the flys were plaguing her as it was a very bad year here for them.

He is coming out in a couple of weeks to double dose them all two weeks apart as the last two years. We cannot believe it is working or quite why it works, but Ivermectin has been used against scabies in humans with some success so maybe the connection is there? I have also read that some people continue to dose two weeks apart right through the summer for what they describe is neck thread worm rather than wrongly diagnosed sweet itch. I am pretty sure none of mine have NTW, and neither I nor my vet would be happy to continue dosing at that level for so many months. If it works for the 3rd year running I would say we have cracked it for her, no guarantee it would work for others though. A pic of her in her glorious summer coat the first year we tried it. I am praying it works again this year.Dolly summer 2021.jpg
Edited to add all the Boetts and Boett type rugs just made her too hot and bothered.

Last edited:

AnnMarie2011

Visit site
I did swear by the Horseware and premier Equine ones, but I did still daily do the bite back along her belly line and her mane area and rubbed into her dock. I have had her since she was 10 so over 12 years now and have tried almost everything going.

Now don't shoot me down for this but neither my vet or I quite know how we stumbled across this and why it works. Bit long, but might help someone else.

Two years ago one of my donkeys was struggling with mites, he does every spring despite treating them all at the same time and twice two weeks apart and I struggle to clear them up. So my vet came out and double dosed both him and the rest of them with Ivermectin. He came out and double dosed them all again 2 weeks later.

That summer my mare did not wear a SI rug of any sort, I still did her belly line and mane and dock with the Bite back cream and sprayed her and the donkeys once a day with Leovet power phaser. So last February he came out again and did the same as the previous spring for all of them, and yet again she did not need a rug for the whole summer. I did have to put a zebra rug on her for about 3 weeks, but that was because the flys were plaguing her as it was a very bad year here for them.

He is coming out in a couple of weeks to double dose them all two weeks apart as the last two years. We cannot believe it is working or quite why it works, but Ivermectin has been used against scabies in humans with some success so maybe the connection is there? I have also read that some people continue to dose two weeks apart right through the summer for what they describe is neck thread worm rather than wrongly diagnosed sweet itch. I am pretty sure none of mine have NTW, and neither I nor my vet would be happy to continue dosing at that level for so many months. If it works for the 3rd year running I would say we have cracked it for her, no guarantee it would work for others though. A pic of her in her glorious summer coat the first year we tried it. I am praying it works again this year.View attachment 86935

Aw im keeping my fingers crossed that you get your third year running! I will do some reasearch into Ivermectin and maybe drop it into conversation with my vets, thanks for your advice!!

smolmaus

Visit site
I have read about the salt therapy and seen a few horses using it on facebook but I am sceptical but maybe after last year I need to be more open to ideas! I don't think the injection will be an option I took her to the vets a couple of times last year and they never mentioned it just gave me some strong cream which does clear the scabs and cuts up but I think maybe a boett will be my best option this year. It just worries me spending all that money and me not measuring it right lol and dont they go on over her head?
They apparently have an excellent customer service staff that will help you measure if you buy new. It might be worth the extra expense to make sure you get the right size the first time then look for second hand ones as back-ups/ replacements. They do go over the head yeah.

The salt therapy I was/ kinda still am a little sceptical about as well but so much of sweet itch treatment seems to be trying everything and anything until you find what works so I haven't ruled it out. A local person I met swore by it for his fresians, had seen a massive difference which maybe means more since it isn't a stranger on the internet ?

It's an insecticide or "anti-parasitic" so that makes sense to me that it would have insect-repellent properties if it stayed in the blood, maybe the midges can smell it through the skin or something? Fingers crossed it keeps working! I may mention this to my vet as well and see if she has heard of it.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Get yourself a boett rug and hood in good time for the season . Once you have it make sure you keep her within an electric fence so she cannot rub and cannot rip the rug or damage her skin. I always covered the bits not covered by the rug with a repellant and soothing cream like nettex or biteback ones.

Reactions: D66

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The people I work for have this issue. SI rugs are warm and they then remove it.
You just HAVE to use one, as horrible as it is it’s the only really weapon against the horrible little so*s
My own horse has 2 shires so he wears one and one is washed, weekly or more in the heat/wet.
He’s bathed regularly and kept clipped over summer so this helps with seeing and treating sore or rubbed areas but also with keeping him cooler. I can keep mine with barely any bald or broken skin this way. The pony at work will look like she’s half skinned most of the time ?

Annagain

Visit site
My vet swore by bathing in Head and Shoulders at least once a week. We then applied a homemade mixture of 50% calamine lotion, 40% benzyl benzoate and 10% methylated spirits. This was 20+ years ago so things might have moved on since then but it definitely helped him.

It was cheap too and I'd nonchalantly go to my local chemist to buy industrial quantities of benzyl benzoate. It was only years later I discovered it was also used to treat crabs in humans. :eek:

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Be
My vet swore by bathing in Head and Shoulders at least once a week. We then applied a homemade mixture of 50% calamine lotion, 40% benzyl benzoate and 10% methylated spirits. This was 20+ years ago so things might have moved on since then but it definitely helped him.

It was cheap too and I'd nonchalantly go to my local chemist to buy industrial quantities of benzyl benzoate. It was only years later I discovered it was also used to treat crabs in humans. :eek:
Benzyl benzoate has been used for sweet itch for years and is an ingredient in most sweet itch creams. It can't be used by itself on broken skin though. These days a good rug and hood is your first defence

Surbie

Visit site

I haven't found the Snuggy rug too hot for mine tbh, and the optional zips in the hood have been a godsend.

The worst issue is that they aren't very good against teeth so it depends on the temperaments of the horses yours is out with. I had nearly 3 years of happy, uneventful rugging then moved yards and my horse was in with 2 horses that ripped them. Repeatedly. It gets expensive very quickly, and I am getting a sewing machine in case it happens this year. At least I have plenty of spare bits for patching.

None of the supplements seem to make the blindest bit of difference, keeping him clean and rugged really does.

smolmaus

Visit site
I haven't found the Snuggy rug too hot for mine tbh, and the optional zips in the hood have been a godsend.
That is good to hear, I was worried about them being too warm myself but still going to do it. Sadie was in a cheap waterproof fly rug all last year with just the Bio Eos as a supplement (before she had access to my bank account) and only rubbed out her mane, nowhere else, and I suspect that might have been as much from the heat as the midges.

Esmae

Visit site
A boett rug is a must. I had 2 for my chap and had one on, one washed to go on. Bathed him weekly to keep his skin clean. Be careful with Deosect. My chap had a horrid reaction to it and we couldn't use it again. Electric fencing is your friend. I would put the rug on now to make sure you stopped the little blighters before they got going. There are a lot of creams and lotions and I don't believe any are any better than the other. So use any daily as well. We tried everything with our chap but the very best thing was the rug. It is a wretched condition.

AnShanDan

Visit site
I've got 2 shires sweet itch rugs. My mare lives in them from the time she gets her winter rugs off. The only time she's out naked is on breezy days, never near dawn or dusk. I feel sorry for her but it's better than being itchy.

I also use tritech fly spray on her tail etc. to give an extra bit of protection. She has a completely full tail now.

Nasicus

Visit site
I've been a fan of the Rambo Sweet Itch Hoodies for a few years now. Nice, strong material and even my one that runs hot doesn't get too warm in them.
I'm also trying out the Weatherbeeta Sweet Itch Comb for the new itchy one.
I had soooo much Snuggy Stuff (I used to hoard it when it was on bin end discount), but they're so easily ripped and snagged and for some reason always seemed to rub manes out for me. I ended up selling it all.
Had a couple Boett rugs and masks, it was just a massive PITA getting it on and off the horse it was being used on. Definitely good coverage, but I'd be loath to buy one new if it hadn't been part of an insurance claim.

I'm also trying out Global Herbs Skratch Liquid this year. I started them on it start of Dec, and they've been rugged since start of Jan. I've electric fenced the entire perimeter of the winter field, and am going to be doing the same for the summer track, so they'll have nothing to scratch on and damage the skin.
And of course, the weekly applications of Deosect and top ups with Absorbine in between for the exposed bits or if I'm riding.

Esmae

Visit site
We are patch testing this weekend. Could you tell me how long it took for him to react badly just so I know I've waited long enough?

In our case it was almost instant. I would wait 24 hours and if nothing then go ahead. The rug is the most important bit. Good luck.