Sweet itch ponies, hows yours doing?

JillA

Visit site
Mine isn't sweetitch as such, but a grass allergy, doesn't start until June. But I am trying turmeric this year, several people on the Turmeric Users Group on Facebook report huge improvements. You need to feed with pepper and oil for good absorption. Far too early for me to report back as yet.

LeannePip

Visit site
mine has been rugged since end of feb/beg march when we had a few hot days and itch as of yet! probably a bit early to start celebrating though!

some one sugested tumeric to me aswell, may give it a go!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Mine is rugged and fine. I won't let him rug as that is to late and need to stop the rubbing from starting in the first place

chocolategirl

Visit site
Mine has had her sweet itch rug on for last 6 weeks as it's been so warm. This is the earliest I've ever put it on though as I am trying to prevent the early onslaught! Not seen her rubbing yet but am not going to get too excited!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Mine's still in his winter full neck rainsheet which I hope is still keeping enough midges off him because I'd like the field to dry up a bit before I put the SI rug on. Will be doing it soon though. No sign of itching yet but my friend's summer headshaker started last weekend :(

Dollysox

Visit site
Just started to rug this week as the weather has warmed up. We had some lovely sunny days a couple of weeks ago but with enough breeze and not hot enough for the midges and my girl managed about seven days out naked like a proper horse. She loved it. She only ever gets two weeks maximum most years when she can do this.

AmieeT

Visit site
Mines doing great!

Have been plastering him in Neem oil which works wonders, I've discovered. He's been rugless the last couple of days and there have been no midges floating around him so far (rug is on standby!) But the others have been swishing their tails and heads, mine is just nomming on the grass! Also no signs of bites or rubbing.

He is however at the top of a large hill with a cool breeze, so I suspect that too has something to do with it.

If it gets much warmer I'll be rugging him anyway, but for now I'm happy that he's happy- and he can roll around and loosen his winter coat cos he's getting far tol hot & sweaty when we go out atm :(

Ax

fatponee

Visit site
My pony started wearing his Bug Rug this week as I've spotted the midges flying around. Have also started him on Skratch syrup to see if that will help.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Mine is wearing his Rambo hoody; put it on as soon as the weather started to get balmy; its just not worth the risk otherwise.

Also I started feeding Brewers Yeast & Micronised Linseed, and Cider Vinegar, during the February half term week (as I always do); to get the stuff into his system. He's now having some Clivers (sticky stuff!) which I pick and chop up into his feed - the other day I saw him picking it out of the hedge for himself, he obviously knows its good for him!!

He's not wearing a proper fly mask as yet; am controlling the head & ears area with Phaser repellant; but if necessary he can have his mask on.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Herbs has all his kit on and is having global Herbs scratch plus in his feed. So far so good he doesn't seem to be scratching. (Although he's fenced off anything he could scratch on in the field)
Realy hoping everything works this year as he actualy has some mane for the first time in years.

_HP_

Visit site
I have 2... 1 is a severe sufferer I've had 16 years, 1 I've only had 6 months but came to me rubbed from head to tail. Both have been rugged for weeks now with spray of Coopers each day. No itching ....'yet'

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Absolutely fine at the moment, she has a half neck turnout on (well it's actually a full neck combo , but knight rider rugs never stay up on the neck :( ) And has a full very very thick mane ! Have benzyl benzoate at the ready, she normally starts loosing hair around June and then by the winter she has no hair and a lot of sores if untreated. She doesn't go out in a fly rug, just applying the benzyl benzoate does the trick

Regandal

Visit site
My boy's field and stablemate has been rugged for a few weeks now. Also being 'neemed' daily. Fingers crossed, nothing yet, hoping it stays that way as last year he was a pitiful wretch. His coat is currently beautiful, pure black and shiny and he actually has a mane.

Moomin1

Visit site
I started with Killitch three weeks ago now, and she has her fly rug on 24/7, stabled also. Bought her a new sweet itch rug which fits her like a glove miraculously (usually really struggle due to her large shoulder) so am hoping I am off to a good start with her this summer.

I hate using Killitch though, brilliant though it is, it's so stinky and messy. My riding instructor is currently schooling my horse as I am pregnant and slowing down on riding now, and I forgot to tell him I had started putting killitch on her, and he managed to wipe it all over his face mid schooling session!!! Whoops!! :-(

Marmite Sandwich

Visit site
So far so good with mine - was adamant to keep ahead of the itching this year and am tempted to try turmeric too. I use killitch at mo but find i get thru it too quickly so am contemplating neem or benzyl but not sure which to go for - results/economy?

Moomin1

Visit site
So far so good with mine - was adamant to keep ahead of the itching this year and am tempted to try turmeric too. I use killitch at mo but find i get thru it too quickly so am contemplating neem or benzyl but not sure which to go for - results/economy?

Killitch is Benzyl Benzoate.

ibot

Visit site
hey Paddy been in rug for ages now, since we started with warm weather and flying things. also trying the turmeric diet this year, think he likes having a tasty mean lol. I have sprayed him every other day with home made fly spray. this is the first year he has an amazing mane really want to keep it. But they are saying this is going to be the worst one on record for bugs as we had nothing to kill them.
xx