Sweet Itch Question...

mollymurphy

Visit site
Hi there, just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice?

One of our mares has started rubbing her tail a LOT in the past week. Her old owner did tell us she gets quite mild sweet itch annually, so we're assuming it's this. But having never owned a sweet itch horse before, we have no idea how to treat it. There are LOADS of products on the market, but what ones work? Her tail is now completely unplaitable and very scruffy!
mad.gif

She's turned out with a full neck fly rug on and sprayed with repellant daily (dont know if that's relavent or not, but hey ho!!!)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.

Lou. x
grin.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
Mine used to rub badly and I bought her the carr day and martin sweet itch lotion. It worked for her and ive never had any problems since. She seems to have grown out of it thank god.
The Boett rugs are supposed to be the best rugs for sweet itch sufferers. However they are very expensive. Rambo do a sweet itch hoody which is great (ive got one for one of my horses that is seriously bothered by flies - not a sweet itch sufferer)

rafi

Visit site
What rug do you use???I use snuggy rug and it covers everything apart from legs. It was expensive but it helps the horse so much as sweet itch must be horrible for the horse. I use aloe vera for the sores and carmrosa as well. There is an injection being tried and tested at present but vets recommend at present a complete rug. I have tried rambo etc fly rugs but eventually they become rigid and rip

spaniel

Visit site
if you want to use a Boett you do need to make sure the horse is wearing it BEFORE the midge season starts as just one bite is enough to start off the sweet itch reaction.

i would definitely look into getting one for next winter though, gives you time to save up.

In the mean time if you can get Switch that works very well or you can ask your vet for an alternative to benzyl benzoate (which, I think, has now been banned by brussels - gits) to treat her itchy tail with.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
I have a shire with very bad sweet-itch, and a TBxID gelding with mild SI on his dock. I have always had great success with Benzyl Benzoate which you can buy from the chemist (its used for scabies in humans). Just rub it on, but remember to wash your hands afterwards
r045.gif

horsemad00

Visit site
A boett rugs the best option, but its a bit on the expensive side! I would try getting a fly rug, with hood and good tail coverage i think weather beta does a good one. I have an old welsh A mare and the only thing that stoped her scratching was a fly rug! I would also use a soothing fly repelant spray or gel as well for extra protection. Good luck. xx

ilovemyarab

Visit site
i have just bought a pure arab and her main at the bottom isant there!! the lady sed its not sweet itch it was her rug rubbing her?? could this be true? its not scabby or anything pls help

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Have you considered it may be pinworms? Probably not if she's wormed regualrly but just an idea as they do cause horses to rub their tails lots.

Chex

Visit site
I'm not sure if its cooincidence or not, but since I stopped feeding garlic, and started feeding marmite Chex mane has completely cleared up
laugh.gif
and he's not even had his fly rug on.

mollymurphy

Visit site
Thank you all! I'll pay the chemist a visit! I've heard Boet's mentioned a few times on here, but never actually seen one, so 'll investigate them too!

Thanks again,

Lou x
grin.gif

Taboo1968

Visit site
Tesco's still sell bottles of Benzyl Benzoate as I bought one from their chemists a few weeks back!

Also heard someone else mention Marmite before, does this actually work and how much marmite do you give them?

Honeypots

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you all! I'll pay the chemist a visit! I've heard Boet's mentioned a few times on here, but never actually seen one, so 'll investigate them too!

Thanks again,

Lou x
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

www.sweetitch.com. Has alot of useful info plus the Boett rug. Also sells a good cream and more..

an alternative (not tried it)..look under excema rugs
http://divoza.com/shop/a.visit/46481b1d0109447e273fc0a8c0640652?dse=Product/View/61001

A proper sweet itch rug is well worth it if its sweet itch but remember to make sure they have nothing sharp or protruding in their field...

Theresa_F

Visit site
Chancer rubs his tail and his sheath area. Not badly but enough to scruff it up.

This year he has been a lot better - only rubbed a couple of times and sheath is not that swollen. He wears a rambo fly rub, is smoothered in my fly repellent which contains a lot of skin so soft. He is also fed brewers yeast.

If his sheath gets swollen, I rub sudocream in which soothes it.