Sweet itch rugs/advise...please help..!!!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Mini cob has started kicking his belly and itching his tail and face. His inner thighs and sheath are bitten to hell too :( He has similar last year and doesn't seem to get raw like some SW horses but he is driven insane bless him.
Can anybody recommend a good sweet itch rug that actually works and is under £100.
And any creams/potions/supplements that work?? He lives out and stabling isn't possible.
Thanks in advance, this poor little guy has gone through enough with white line disease, sarcoids etc :(

Jayzee

Visit site
I have a very fly/midge sensitive mare and for the last 5 years I have used the Shires Sweetitch combo rug which is tough and doesn't cost the earth (think I paid £57). You might want to check the fit on a chunkier horse, mines a finer ISH. I have also got a Rambo sweet itch rug off FB marketplace - worth keeping an eye out for, good second hand rugs.
I always have my mare covered up from spring to autumn to stop the itchiness setting in.
Best of luck with him!

Haniki

Visit site
Too late for this year (needs to be done by the end of February) but there is a vaccination for Ringworm that signicicantly helps some horses with sweetitch. You might like to speak to your vet about it for next year.

hobo

Visit site
Shires sweetitch rug is very strong and good just managed to get a new one for £50 ish with the postage. Pony is a 5ft rug and he is as wide as he is long and it fits well. The best cream that works for him is Summer freedom, pony has been creamed and rugged today and it will be the same till about November, the cream lasts a good 4 days on him as he is just a field ornament.

Chappie

Visit site
I've been helping with a riding school pony with SI at my yard for over 10 years, and can recommend the Shires rug too, also Ruggles have one with good coverage. I have to buy a new one every year no matter what brand.

Nettex do a good ointment and also Battles fly cream. Someone at my yard has had good success with neem on their horse.

Had some success with citronella sprays and I've got a bottle of Lincoln Ditch The Itch to try this year.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks, these replies are fab...will look at the Shires rug now ??

I have just ordered the shires tempest sweet itch rug on EBay £53.99 free postage, I use there turnouts and liners and they fit mine really well, my Arab only really rubs his mane and today he looked really itchy there were so many of those small bitey flies the fly rug I don't think will be enough.

Surbie

Visit site
I am in the Snuggies camp, both the Rambo and Shires were too hot and heavy for my cob. I found the Shires Tempest was too narrow, the Highlander was a better fit.

Snuggies aren't robust if other horses are likely to get hold of them - I've had one totally shredded this year plus they offer little protection from teeth.

I have a Snuggy sheath cover I don't use if that would come in handy?
I use Summer Freedom or plain sudo as a daily barrier cream around sheath areas.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thank you everyone, we have ordered the slightly dearer Shires Highlander for him...fingers crossed it works.
If this doesn't then we may look at the Snuggy ones but they are very expensive and my darling Connie x Cross is quite likely to drag him around by it ???
We have some Summer Freedom and are going to buy some Biteback Silver.
Please keep your fingers crossed it works for him, little chap ( I say little but he's 14.2 lol...tiny to me though?) has had enough crap bless him ?

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Another vote for Shires sweet itch rug, but I wouldn't recommend Snuggy Hoods rugs - they are not fit for purpose. Mine was ripped to shreds within I think two days (horse out with one other old chap in an electric fenced paddock) and they argued with me about it but did eventually give me a refund when I returned it. The most robust ones I've used are the Rambo and the Shires.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Photo of a mare I owned. Shores SI rug and Snuggy udder cover. I believe they do a gelding version. I had 2 and changed them daily.
Worth a try?

The best cream I used was Biteback Silver .View attachment 68771

Shires sweetitch rug is very strong and good just managed to get a new one for £50 ish with the postage. Pony is a 5ft rug and he is as wide as he is long and it fits well. The best cream that works for him is Summer freedom, pony has been creamed and rugged today and it will be the same till about November, the cream lasts a good 4 days on him as he is just a field ornament.

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but trying to find a sweet itch hoodie for my mare.

Do you find they get hot in the Shires? She itches worse if she gets too hot!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but trying to find a sweet itch hoodie for my mare.

Do you find they get hot in the Shires? She itches worse if she gets too hot!
My sweet itch mare never got too hot but we didn’t have very hot summers when I owned her.
My gelding did overheat in the Shires. He wasn’t SI, I put the rug on to keep him clean!
I have since worked out he is a ‘hot horse’

hobo

Visit site
Mine does not get to hot in the shires one but I do a blanket clip and hog at the start of the season as he probably has cushings so his coat is about 3" long. I did him today and he now has his rug on which is probably the latest I have done it. The other reason I clip him as the belly strap bit is to long for him and hangs a bit and he piddles in it so I can keep him less smelly clipped!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Another vote for Shires sweet itch rug, but I wouldn't recommend Snuggy Hoods rugs - they are not fit for purpose. Mine was ripped to shreds within I think two days (horse out with one other old chap in an electric fenced paddock) and they argued with me about it but did eventually give me a refund when I returned it. The most robust ones I've used are the Rambo and the Shires.
I hate the snuggles too. They soak up water and get really heavy and the hoods can slip and damage eyes or blindfold them as I found out 😢

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Too late for this year (needs to be done by the end of February) but there is a vaccination for Ringworm that signicicantly helps some horses with sweetitch. You might like to speak to your vet about it for next year.

^^ Was about to say this. Might be something you could consider for another year. If my old lad (who had Sweet Itch) was still around I'd be thinking about it.

I found the Premier Equine Sweet Itch rugs were always good; they were very generous in their fit, and cheaper than the Rambo ones. But just be aware you don't wash them too hot as (like the Rambo) they will shrink! I'd do just 30C.

The Boett-type rugs weren't any good for mine as he would have a fight with you big-time if you tried to get anything over his head, so a no-no!

Ohh........ and don't feed garlic (if you are). Worst thing you can do according to my old vet.

There is a very helpful "Sweet Itch Support Group" on FB.