Sweet Itch rugs which don't rub manes?

sarahann1

Visit site
After thinking my wee coblet wouldn't make it into the show ring, my instructor informed me tonight that she'd do well in the gypsy vanner classes, and he judges cob classes so knows what he's talking about, it's high praise indeed!

But, and it's a big but, she has sweet itch and this year has already rubbed the majority of her mane out after growing it not too badly over winter.

So, suggestions/recommendations for sweet itch rugs which don't rub manes would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks folks :)

G&T

Visit site
I have come to the conclusion that these do not exist! But will be watching this thread with great interest as both my mares manes have been royally *****ed by (expensive) fly rugs this year ...

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I've got a PE on my D and it hasn't rubbed her mane but I think it really depends on the conformation of the horse as to what will be ok. She came to me with a rubbed mane (she doesn't have SI she's just a sensitive flower and clegs seem to love her!) and it's only now almost filling in 15 months on so I would be really hacked off if she managed to rub it again!

sarahann1

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, coblet has a big deep cob neck which doesn't help matters, makes the necks much tighter so rubs more :(.

I'll be investing in remedies from the inside out too, so hopefully she'll not feel the need to rub so much!

Nasicus

Visit site
My filly with the puffy haflinger mane hasn't has any rubbed out whilst wearing a Derby House Flyrug. The only bits shes rubbed out are from before I wrapped her up in that rug. She lives out most of the time and has the rug on 24hrs a day, and touch wood, no additional rubbing yet!

muckypony

Visit site
A friend of mine had a boett on her trade cob. He was really chunky and it never rubbed.

My D wore the PE last year but he's not that chunky. This year he's been naked and itch free having started using bite back products.

Fjord

Visit site
I'd love to find a sweet itch rug that doesn't rub. I bought a Pagony but it slipped back and rubbed her chest, plus it twisted round dreadfully when she rolled. I then tried the Equitheme version which was almost identical, just slightly smaller. This worked except it slipped back and caused a nasty rub on the withers. I've had to sew fake dead sheep in it to stop it happening again. I've heard good things about Boett but they're so pricey I'm worried to get one in case I have similar problems.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I'd love to find a sweet itch rug that doesn't rub. I bought a Pagony but it slipped back and rubbed her chest, plus it twisted round dreadfully when she rolled. I then tried the Equitheme version which was almost identical, just slightly smaller. This worked except it slipped back and caused a nasty rub on the withers. I've had to sew fake dead sheep in it to stop it happening again. I've heard good things about Boett but they're so pricey I'm worried to get one in case I have similar problems.

I have an Exmoor pony who is a 13h tank. I don't rug him very often but all rugs needs extension straps at the front and his neck is huge. The medium bug rug is supposed to fit up to 14.2h but was a touch small around the chest. I went up to a large and while it looks a bit silly and I had to adapt the leg straps, he's not rubbed himself in it and the chest and neck fits well-no sliding back or slipping. I think if an animal is a bit sweet itchy, standard fly rugs just don't cut it but use a rambo protector on my other horse which seems to work for him. The only thing with the mast/boett is that they are not that robust if you share a field with a rug wrecker.

oh, and buy fly rugs in the winter, they are often half price ;)

_HP_

Visit site
I use a Premier Equine sweet Itch buster or a Rambo SI hoody on my sweet itch horse...no rubbing and a full mane and tail.
He's a vanner type of cob...