Sweet itch rugs with lined shoulders

Chianti

Visit site
My pony got kicked in the field when we moved yards by his new 'friends'. It was only the skin that was affected but this scabbed and fell off and he's now left with a small sore area. Unfortunately it's right on the shoulder and his rug rubs it as he moves so as new hair starts to grow it's getting rubbed off. Vet has been and suggested stitching in a piece of silk but I wondered if any knows of sweet itch rugs which already have lined shoulders? He has Premier Equine at the moment and these are quite rough on the inside.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Bossys Bibs are the best thing to use to prevent rubbing. Even ones with lining will rub and eventually the lining will tear. BBs are excellent, and they have brilliant customer service. My horse wears one under his sweet itch rug and it works really well. Hope this helps

danda

Visit site
I have a sweetitch rug made by Horseware (a Rambo) it is lined, it is size 145cms. I no longer have this horse. Let me know if you are interested.

Chianti

Visit site
Thanks all for the replies. I did think about a bib but just wondered if it would make him hotter.

AFB

Visit site
Another vote for a bib, more useful in the long run as you can then re-use under winter rugs etc.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
It will make him hotter than not having one yes, but the priority is to get the wound healed and that will do the best job of protecting it.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
My sweet itch rug is also the Rambo one (hoodie) but the lining eventually tears. Even with a new one I still need to use the Bossys Bib - its to do with the bib staying still against the skin so the rug glides over the bib, whereas without it the rug moves over the skin causing rubs. Apparently!

Chianti

Visit site
I've spoken to the vet and she's recommended tacking a piece of silk onto the lining. I've found some small silk men's wedding handkerchiefs on ebay so have ordered a couple of these - one can be sewn in as the other is being washed.