Sweet Itch - running out of ideas!!!

TheEquineOak

Visit site
Does anyone have any tried and tested methods for containing sweet itch? The internet is vague and my vet was even more vague!

I've had Ben for a year and whilst I was aware he suffered from 'mild sweet itch' which was controlled with human antihistamines, fly spray and a fly rug last year it has come on with a vengeance this year and he has developed lumps and bumps on his tail and up his neck.

I'm contemplating steroid injections - has anyone had them? What about Stinky Stuff?

He is currently out 24/7 with either a no fill turnout in the rain or a fly rug in other weather. He is given garlic and seven antihistamines (gone up to ten tonight) in his feed and fly sprayed with NAF Citronella
His stable is extremely warm in the summer with no ventilation and no company - all of the horses are out

Any advice would be gratefully received!

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
yes speak to these people! The lady there I spoke to advises and gives talks to vets, she knows her stuff.
http://itchyhorse.co.uk they may try and talk you into buying a Boett rug - for me the jury is out on them, you can get a perfectly decent SI rug for less that are less restrictive imho but each to their own

cut out the garlic, its an immune booster and SI is an over reaction of the immune system

keep him covered properly at all times - a LW rug isnt enough. He needs a full, proper SI rug with a belly flap and mask - gallop actually do a really good budget one.

I recommend Killitch (or pure benzoyl benzoate from the chemist) and rub this in everywhere he is affected liberally, every day.

Treat weekly with Switch for flies.

Last edited:

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
Excellent - neither Killitch or benzoyl benzoate have been recommended to me before. Thank you for replying!

I had a SI pony for years ( 20 years ago) and back then we always bought benzoyl benzoate from the chemist - be warned its used to treat scabies in humans so dont ask for it too loudly haha. Killitch is for horses but the main ingredient is BB, most tack shops have it. I have a pony with SI again now and its really helped. Good luck :)

TheEquineOak

Visit site
I've bought the BB online, a ltr for £20, Gallop rug purchased from Amazon and I'm in the process of buying a bulk amount of antihistamines again. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed!

faerie666

Visit site
Ask our vet about Depo Provera injections. A pony at my work suffers quite badly, but with a combination of a Boett rug, twice weekly application of Z-Itch/Deosect, antihistamines in her feed, and the injections, it's under control. I can tell when they start to wear off, as she starts itching more.

SusieT

Visit site
is it a fly rug or a specific sweetitch rug he has on? as there's a big difference - fly rugs dont work! nettex itch stop is v good to rub on affected bits too

JillA

Visit site
Join the sweetitch group on Facebook - there are people who have successfully tried all manner of supplements, topical treatment, managements and veterinary treatment. Mine responds well to low sugar/starch diet, good barrier rug, electric fencing to prevent the itch scratch cycle, and neem oil if he does manage to take hair off an area. He is also on the immunology injections from Immunotek - a blood test to identify allergens (mine isn't midges, it is black fly) and then a monthly subcutaneous injection. It is known to be only 50% reliable but mine seems to be in the 50%, it is definitely reducing his response, even if it isn't a complete cure.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
this year will be damage limitation for you only so bare that in mind. Next year, prepare early and have him rugged up and protected from as early as late feb. Once the itching response has started its hard to break the cycle.

sychnant

Visit site
Get rid of the garlic! It boosts the Immune system, which is the last thing you want when the immune system is overreacting to something as it does in a SI horse.

My SI pony is looking great this year. Rambo SI rug on at all times unless being worked, and covered in fly spray then. He has a diet free of sugar, soya, alfalfa and "fillers" such as wheatfeed. He has linseed to help with skin and coat condition, Brewer's Yeast for the B vitamins, and Progressive Earth Pro Hoof for vits and mins (although Pro Balance + is great if they don't need the extras for their feet.) He has slightly rubbed his tail, so I use Biteback Sweet Relief lotion sprayed onto his dock and brushed through with a dandy brush.

He is also having Allergease from Thunderbrook, and 6 antihistamines morning and evening. Honestly, this year you wouldn't know he had SI, and a couple of years ago he looked awful!

TheEquineOak

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies.

Obviously this is my fault, I bought him in June last year with no showing signs knowing that he had 'a mild reaction' and it was managed with just a fly rug and antihistamines. He came out of it with a slightly ruffled tail and a rubbed main. This year, even though he has been wearing his rugs and given antihistamines he already has lumps and bumps and is incredibly itchy. It's a case of fire fighting from here on in.

I have bought the products suggested in the first reply and will be upping his antihistamines to 12 a day (17hh chunky breed) and see where that takes me for a couple of weeks. My yard owner is under the impression he would be better stabled through the day but I see this more as an opportunity to rub himself raw. The weather has cooled here and it's been raining with gusty winds for the last three days - I naively thought this would relieve him a bit but it hasn't.

AnShanDan

Visit site
I have one with sweet itch, this year she has been fed brewers yeast since Feb. A tablespoon every day.

I also bought midge proof mesh online and covered all the open areas into her stable, inc. obv. the door, so she is in from 6pm to 8am in her midge free stable.

Other thing I do is to put a mix of Neem oil and Benzyl Benzoate on her tail head and mane/face once a week as an extra preventative.

She is not even wearing her SI rug in the field now and is hardly itchy at all, she's like a different horse.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
The FB Sweet Itch group is fantastic, a lot of people on there and they'll give you some good advice and support.

Your ESSENTIAL item is going to be a proper Sweet Itch rug. I use the Rambo Sweet Itch hoody; also the Premier Equine ones are good (cheaper). Or a Boett, your choice. Bear in mind the Boett-type rugs go on over the head - my horse hates them and gets really stressy, so I use other types of rug. A normal "fly rug" won't do I'm afraid: you'll waste a lot of time and money on them, and they won't cover the essential areas for sweet itch protection. You may also need a special mask for your horse as well. I tend to not use these unless really desperate, I use products like Killitch or Neem (or mix up my own fly spray - I'll give details later) instead so horse can have his head free.

Consider feed: the word "sweet" itch indicates what you need to do, and that is avoid sugars and mollasses. I feed Dengie Mollasses-Free, you'll need to watch what's in feeds to avoid mollasses, and also Garlic as well, my vet said to avoid garlic with Sweet Itchy horses as it makes it worse. Be aware that a lot of proprietory supplements which are supposed to keep flies and insects away, have garlic in it. Also feeds like Fast Fibre has some in too :(

You may wish to explore special supplements for Sweet Itch, if you go onto the FB group there's plenty of advice there. I feed Brewers Yeast, Cider Vinegar, and Clivers (sticky stuff, grows in hedges).

My own fly/midge repellant. Cheap as chips and you can use as much as you want:-

Some stewed tea (pref Redbush) say about half a pint

Dessert spoonful of Dettol

Couple dessert spoonfuls of Cider Vinegar

About half a teaspoon-full of mild liquid soap (like handwashing soap)

About half a teaspoon to a teaspoon of Neem oil

I use an empty flyspray container and mix all the ingredients together. The soap is to stop the oil emulsifying. You can sponge it on round the face area. But please PATCH TEST FIRST don't just take my word for it! This works on my horse who has pink skin and white hair (sensitive) but do be careful if applying for the first time and also be careful applying oils if the horse is out in bright sunlight as they can burn.

Landcruiser

Visit site
My SI horse is looking great this year and I haven't seen him trying to scratch once. Previously his tail has been raw by now. My regime since early spring has been every 3 weeks a thorough application of Deosect (available online) plus every few days mane, tail, face with Benzyl Benzoate bought online and a fraction of the price of Killitch. Feeding micronised linseed, Brewers yeast, Pro Earth balancer, Honeychop Light and Healthy (no molasses/alfalfa/soya) and a bit of copra and beet for palatability. He is positively gleaming.

MDB

Visit site
There is some research which has shown a benefit from giving linseed / flaxseed. One of my mares came to me with mild sweet itch and I started giving ground linseed and linseed oil daily. She improved markedly, so much so that the £100 sweet itch rug that I got her is still in it's original packaging.