Sweet itch Starting in teenage years

pippixox

Visit site
So had a shock this morning as went to feed my horses to find my mare had rubbed above her tail so bad it was red raw- about the size of 2 flat hands, so a large area. I think she may of used a telegraph pole in the field as fence would be too low for that height (she is 16’2). Vet had been out and using topical steroid for a bit and will start rugging.

I’m just in a bit of shock, as she has lived by a river in quite midgey area for years with no issues.rarely fly rugged her as just tend to rub her shoulders. Vet is not concerned that it is anything more sinister. Apparently it is common to start in teenage years, I assumed it was something that started young? Has anyone else had this? I know rugs and creams are commended but any other tips or brand recommendations? Thanks

TelH

Visit site
I have a little 13.1hh mare, I've had her since she was 5 and she's 21 now. She started with sweet itch around age 14 after previously being fine; she gets it every year now. I use a fly rug and benzyl benzoate on her mane/tail to stop the itching.

pippixox

Visit site
thanks for your reply. I know it isn't the end of the world and I can manage it, just made me panic. so strange how one year they are fine and the next year they are rubbing raw in one night.

oldie48

Visit site
Mr B became very reactive to fly bites when he was 14, his previous owner had never had a problem and he was fine here for a couple of years but now I have to keep him well covered to keep the flies off him. We have horrid little black flies (thunderflies) that like to get into your hair and nip your scalp, they are not midges and I think this is what he reacts to. We also get loads of horse flies which he hates but doesn't react to in the same way.

pippixox

Visit site
yes sadly we are in quite a midgey area next to a river and I don't have any hilly breezy fields to access! she is 15 this year and other than the occasional itch like they all do she has never done this. looking slightly less angry this morning after a wash and steroid cream yesterday evening, but need it to heal a bit more before I can get a rug on her and get her back out (luckily have a nice cool barn to stay in and she doesn't seem to itch badly in there)