Sweet Itch

Daisy May

New User
Visit site
My horse has started itching her mane and tail so thinking it is sweet itch:(. Has anybody got and good recommendations to for sweet itch.

mynutmeg

Visit site
Get a good bug rug and use it at all times when turned out then when being ridden ensure that you liberally use bug spray.
Make sure the rug covers all the way over the ears and has good tail coverage - I have recently bought the shires sweet itch combo and am very impressed with it

Rhodders

Visit site
My mini has a pagony rug, I had to do a bit of diy on it to get it to fit properly, I then sponge his face with pig oil and sulpher. So far this year we are doing great, no rubbing, no bald patches nothing :D
this is he prior to my diy job on the rug
563078_10151389326882219_262963080_n.jpg

teresagarsden

Visit site
Neem oil mixed with olive oil to thin it out - its solid at 20 degrees c - my pony has suffered horrid sweet itch for years but this year so far nothing.
Also I read rfecently that the midges live in the long grass near water so I now spray his legs too.

WelshD

Visit site
As well as the covering up and lotions/potions a breezy field away from muck heaps, standing water and damp spots will do a good job of keeping things under control - I use the breeziest part of my field that has no tree cover and electric fencing so the pony cant rub on anything - I have to be more careful when shelter is needed but 90% of the time he is ok in that field

shergar

Visit site
We were told by vet to use Cavelesse for a horse that was rubbing her tail quite badly due to the midges it contains nicotinic acid b3 vitamin,it is expensive so I did some research and found that brewers yeast contains more nicotinic acid than the equivalent quantity of cavelesse, 25g as far as I know the brewers yeast is used for the relief of sweet itch,and it costs about £6 50 for a kg,worth a try ,we are using Coopers fly repellent and that has stopped her rubbing .
Hope this helps .

trefnantblackknight

Visit site
The only thing that has worked for my boy is Supreme Products Mane and Tail Builder, I gave up on all kinds of rugs and believe me I have tried them all ;) he now wears no rug and has this applied 3 times a week :D

ITs expensive and smells horrid but it last at least 4 -6 months :)

JillA

Visit site
Mine is made hugely worse by being on decent grass - in fact I'm not totally sure he is allergic to the bit of the culicoides midge or any other flying insect, because he wore a good barrier rug from Feb onwards one year and still rubbed his mane and tail in June. So add to all of the good recommendations above a minimum grass paddock if you can. I don't soak haylage but I do have a plentiful supply and my own paddocks so it isn't difficult for me.

maxapple

Visit site
Oh that's interesting JillA as we moved to a new yard this year with fab grass, and my pony has sweet itch much worse than ever before.

I can't do anything about the grass so am trying to manage it using fly rugs and masks, benzol and giving him regular baths which seems to help.

_HP_

Visit site
Location can go a long way to help..
Make sure your field/stable is as far away from any water source and muckheap. An exposed field with as few tree's as possible is better as there will be more breeze. Midges aren't strong fliers ;)
The best thing you can do for your horse is to cover her up. A well made sweet itch rug (I recommend the Rambo Sweet Itch Hoody), but have managed with a bog standard fly rug before ,with a bit of extra help (lotions and potions). With a good rug, you won't need too much extra help but I do spray on Coopers Fly Repellent Plus every few days. It's expensive (£20 a bottle) BUT it goes a long way. One bottle will do me a season. My cob has severe sweet itch and in 14 years of dealing with him..this is the best combination for us.
It is very important that you electric fence your paddock if your horse is wearing a rug because no fly rug is a tough as a turnout (although the Rambo isn't far off) and will be much more suceptable to ripping.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ditto all the above advice.

Avoid sugar/mollasses as far as possible, think "sweet" itch; which is why the problem seems to be worse on rich grass which will be very sweet at this time of year (also good to avoid for laminitis too.......).

Ditto covering up. Be careful of pig oil with sulphur though, can affect sensitive skins. Midges hate alighting on oily skin, so anything you can put on that's oily is good.

mynutmeg

Visit site
Ditto all the above advice.

Avoid sugar/mollasses as far as possible, think "sweet" itch; which is why the problem seems to be worse on rich grass which will be very sweet at this time of year (also good to avoid for laminitis too.......).

Ditto covering up. Be careful of pig oil with sulphur though, can affect sensitive skins. Midges hate alighting on oily skin, so anything you can put on that's oily is good.

The old horsemen who named this sort of thing knew what they were on about :D

ibot

Visit site
My horse has been in a rug for ages now. i think i have also tried everything at the moment i have need oil pig oil and coopers and its all very stressful
TBH i love summer but i dread it also i have not found a magic fix yet but id try anything if it might help. Lately when i have brought my horse in from the field he has tried to rub his face is ok but not looking good.

sorry i did not mean to moan i find it very heartbreaking :(:(