Sweet potato for ulcers

Darcey22

Visit site
Does anyone feed their horses sweet potato? I have heard that raw SP is not only a treat for them but also very good for preventing ulcers?
What other fruit and veg is good for horses and why?

skint1

Visit site
I recently added sweet potato to my horse's diet, she doesn't really have a feed, just a few nuggets and a carrot so I started giving her half a small sweet potato, I had heard they were good for ulcer prone horses but now I am re-thinking this decision

Laurac13

Visit site
Raw chopped up cabbage is good for ulcer prone horses is a natural source of something can’t remember what which is really good ?

J&S

Visit site
I had an instance of colic in my mare after giving her the cauliflower stalks. Never again! Potato skins that are cooked are ok I think. I chuck them a swede every so often but they aren't that excited by them.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Mine just about eat swede carrot and parsnip I don't recon they would touch potatoes of any sort and it's not something I would feed as they are full of starch, I wouldn't even think of feeding green vegetables seen what they do to humans let alone horses ?

Mine are fussy they don't even eat all horse treats took me years to get Arabi to eat polo's.

Surbie

Visit site
Does anyone feed their horses sweet potato? I have heard that raw SP is not only a treat for them but also very good for preventing ulcers?
What other fruit and veg is good for horses and why?

I wouldn't feed any brassicas, alliums, or anything from the nightshade family (spuds included, even if they are cooked peel).

My horse likes (and gets in moderation) bananas, swede, parsnips, carrots, apples, oranges, watermelon, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, rosehips, celery - also gets armloads of cleavers when they are in season and I grow marigolds for him on my allotment. He's a bit spoiled.

He was mortally offended when I tried to feed him beetroot. I've rarely seen him spit something out so fast!

Last edited:

Mudfukkle

Visit site
Raw chopped up cabbage is good for ulcer prone horses is a natural source of something can’t remember what which is really good ?
Celery - Richard Maxwell feeds celery to his horses, he juices it first, then puts it in their feed, as some horses don't like it just fed to them. He says it's very good for ulcers in horses.
I suffer badly from acid reflux myself and I have also had ulcers in the past, so I follow the Acid Watchers diet and celery features highly in that diet for humans as well.

TheMule

Visit site
Typical of someone spouting absolute rubbish on the internet and everyone just believing it despite zero evidence (or, in fact, just ignoring evidence to the contrary)
Sweet potatoes in small quantities probably aren’t going to harm your horse, but they also aren’t going to do anything to prevent/ treat ulcers