Sweetitch

mitchellk

Visit site
What would you recommend, rug wise for a shetland pony, do you think that i should clip her so she doesnt overheat in them, any others with shetland/native with condition how do you cope?

sojeph

Visit site
The Boett IMO is the best rug for sweet itch. They do shetland size. They shouldn't get any hotter in them than without one on but as you say you could always clip out his belly.
I have a hairy coloured cob with severe sweet itch and he has never overheated in the Boett but did in the Snuggyhoods one. I have never needed to clip my cobbie.
I'd say get the rug on before the season gets underway. Slap on plenty of barrier cream such as Net Tex Sweet Itch Salve Complete wherever the rug doesn't cover ie sheath/teats and face/ears. Keep him as clean as possible and as far away from the muck heap, too many trees and any streams or water source as you can. Try and use electric fencing when they have their fly rug on as they obviously aren't as tough as turnout rugs and will get damaged on sharp objects.
Mmm...can't think of anything else right now but keep watching the boards as there will be 1001 sweet itch posts from now through the summer with loads of tips and recommendations.
Just make sure that whatever rug you choose that you get it on well before the season starts to prevent the itch taking over.

Good Luck

www.sweetitch.com

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I took on a shettie with very bad sweet itch and i used Camrosa with excellent results, although this year i will be trying to prevent it rather than make it better! I have got him a fly rug but found i didn't need it with Camrosa as i apply the gel under his tummy and between his back legs. I will be clipping mine again shortly simply because he is very scurfy and this way i'm able to get to any sores before they get bad, he has been clipped out once already but you wouldn't know know. Here are some of my old posts so you can see the results, they have been posted on here loads because i was so proud of them!
smile.gif

Camrosa
By the end of i think 6 weeks all his soreness had gone and it was a case of keeping on top of it, i also feed brewers yeast tablets that is said to help and covered him in fly spray that included cider vinegar. hope this helps!
smile.gif

mitchellk

Visit site
I think i will clip her and rug up, she tends not to shed her coat very easily (18 yrs) then start to introduce the boett, where is the best place to purchase one (as in £price!)
Thanks

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I agree - boett is the way top go. I dont need to use any lotions or potions with the boett, I just use homemade fly repellant at shows and when hacking. Boetts are exspensive but are very durable. Mine has done two years and only has a tiny pluck and is a bit faded. I think you can only buy them direct.

threeponies

Visit site
You could also try NAF's Midge Off as a repelleant when you need it- it works really well on my Shetland's sweet itch. Good luck!

sojeph

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I agree - boett is the way top go. I dont need to use any lotions or potions with the boett, I just use homemade fly repellant at shows and when hacking. Boetts are exspensive but are very durable. Mine has done two years and only has a tiny pluck and is a bit faded. I think you can only buy them direct.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I prefer about the Boetts is that they are really easy to repair and come with a bag of scraps for patching if necessary although I just sew it . Its snags rather than rips generally.