Swelling around jaw bone

Lakelandcross

Visit site
I went to ride my horse last night and noticed swelling behind and over his jaw on both sides. Behind the jaw was a lump about the size of my palm and the back half of his jawbone had swelling which was raised about 5mm and flat. The total swollen area was about the size of (could be covered by) 2 small hands on each side, it was firm to the touch and it didn't cause him any discomfort.

He didn't have any other symptoms. His nose was clean, he didn't have a cough, he wasn't lethargic, he was eating and his temperature, breathing and heartbeat were normal.

We looked in books and online and the only thing we could find that was similar was swollen parotid (saliva) glands. They seem to be in the exact area that was swollen.

My wife went to check him at 7 this morning and the swelling was completely gone. His temp, breathing etc were still normal.

Has anyone experienced anything like it or have an idea what could have caused it?

touchstone

Visit site
It sounds like grass glands - they come up when the horse has his head down grazing due to an excess of saliva apparently, but go down with no ill effects. Nothing to worry about if that's what they are :)