Swelling on stomach

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
My horse has a swelling on his belly which I am slightly concerned about. I have spoken to the vet, who didn't think it was anything to worry about but suggested I ring back in a week with an update. The current theory is that he has either kicked himself in the belly or has been stung by a bee / wasp / horsefly. It is probably only about an inch deep but over quite a large area, warm to the touch and slightly tender. He is fine in himself, although maybe slightly less athletic than usual (no bucking in the field when he canters up for feed time). The vet is very nice but he is new to me and mostly used to dealing with the local farmers connemara broodmares. It has now been 3 days and it doesn't seem to be getting better (though it isn't getting worse). Has anyone come across anything like this?

Full story:

I have just moved from the UK to Ireland and taken my 12 yr old 14.3hh cob gelding with me. I have had him 5 years and he is usually very easy to do, he's only ever had the vet out for his dust allergy in the first winter I had him (before I got the management right). We've bought a smallholding that is in a right state and last week he went through his electric fencing and managed to get into some 10+ year old straw. We then had a surprise rainstorm. When I found him the next morning he was shivering, miserable, refusing to move or eat and breathing hard. I rugged him up and called the local vet, who diagnosed an attack of his dust allergy and gave him an anti-biotic and steriod injection. He was back to normal by that afternoon, though still slightly subdued. The next day this swelling appeared, so he may have hurt himself going through the fencing. I have been rugging him every night since the attack. He has also been having trouble with flies on his sheath which did get a bit swollen and sore the first couple of days but I have been spraying it with fly repellant every day and it is now back to normal.

Suec04

Visit site
My mare got a couple of these in the last few weeks and she is on box rest. my vet thinks she may have kicked at herself and advised to cold compress, and they went after a few days, so try that :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My horse has a swelling on his belly which I am slightly concerned about. I have spoken to the vet, who didn't think it was anything to worry about but suggested I ring back in a week with an update. The current theory is that he has either kicked himself in the belly or has been stung by a bee / wasp / horsefly. It is probably only about an inch deep but over quite a large area, warm to the touch and slightly tender. He is fine in himself, although maybe slightly less athletic than usual (no bucking in the field when he canters up for feed time). The vet is very nice but he is new to me and mostly used to dealing with the local farmers connemara broodmares. It has now been 3 days and it doesn't seem to be getting better (though it isn't getting worse). Has anyone come across anything like this?

Full story:

I have just moved from the UK to Ireland and taken my 12 yr old 14.3hh cob gelding with me. I have had him 5 years and he is usually very easy to do, he's only ever had the vet out for his dust allergy in the first winter I had him (before I got the management right). We've bought a smallholding that is in a right state and last week he went through his electric fencing and managed to get into some 10+ year old straw. We then had a surprise rainstorm. When I found him the next morning he was shivering, miserable, refusing to move or eat and breathing hard. I rugged him up and called the local vet, who diagnosed an attack of his dust allergy and gave him an anti-biotic and steriod injection. He was back to normal by that afternoon, though still slightly subdued. The next day this swelling appeared, so he may have hurt himself going through the fencing. I have been rugging him every night since the attack. He has also been having trouble with flies on his sheath which did get a bit swollen and sore the first couple of days but I have been spraying it with fly repellant every day and it is now back to normal.

Have you thought of an odema??