Swiftwood rescue

WeeLassie

Visit site
It makes me feelrather uncomfortable to read that an animal sanctuary is asking the public to raise money for horses to be brought over from Ireland ( www.gofundme.com/2re2pc58 ) when there is so many horses and ponies in this country that we cant cope. Its a nice story, but shouldnt "charity start at home"?

Waterfall

New User
Visit site
I cant believe I'm reading this. It makes me feel even more uncomfortable that you people are so racist. So you would have preferred to see this pony carry on to be slaughtered because she happens to come from Ireland? The rescue are hardly asking for thousands. Good for the sanctuary to open their doors for this elderly horse and her daughter. I'm quite frankly disgusted with this thread. You make it sound like they are asking for thousands of pounds to bring thousands of horses over. Its TWO. If charity begins at home I'm assuming your all doing your bit then? Or are you just sat on your arses putting people down that are actually doing good in the world and actually taking action.

Auslander

Visit site
I cant believe I'm reading this. It makes me feel even more uncomfortable that you people are so racist. So you would have preferred to see this pony carry on to be slaughtered because she happens to come from Ireland? The rescue are hardly asking for thousands. Good for the sanctuary to open their doors for this elderly horse and her daughter. I'm quite frankly disgusted with this thread. You make it sound like they are asking for thousands of pounds to bring thousands of horses over. Its TWO. If charity begins at home I'm assuming your all doing your bit then? Or are you just sat on your arses putting people down that are actually doing good in the world and actually taking action.

Welcome to the forum...

stormox

Visit site
I think the problem here is that that story has already been used to raise money for AHAR (who do indeed send hundreds of dogs and horses to UK- see other threads) and it is now being used again to raise money for another rescue.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Horses (and indeed cows, pigs, sheep) go for slaughter - fact.

What exactly is the 'action' that this 'rescue' is taking?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Welcome to the forum...
Seconded.

If charity begins at home I'm assuming your all doing your bit then? Or are you just sat on your arses putting people down that are actually doing good in the world and actually taking action.
Yup. Just sent my second RSPCA foster filly off to her forever home, after spending much time and cash in continuing her rehabilitation.

Racist, my @rse.

We are already overrun with welfare cases in this country, why on earth should we pay to import more from overseas?

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site

Not racist, it wouldn't matter where it was from. The UK is overrun with unwanted pet animals of every description. Most people think that should be sorted out first before importing more animals to the UK, however much in need of rescue those animals may be. It's not possible to save everything.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

We are shooting horses in this country that aren't wanted. What is the point of shooting two more here so that AHAR can send two over from Ireland?

Bare hoof

Visit site

Well said

merlin12

Visit site
People buy horse from Ireland everyday. Perhaps they should buy English bred horse? How far do we take this?

I think most people help where they can. We should all do our bit. Some one might rescue a horse from Ireland others from up the road.

stormox

Visit site
It was on the AHAR animal rescue page asking for donations to AHAR to bring the 2nd pony over, then it was on the Swiftwood go-fund-me page asking for donations to Swiftwood.

Waterfall

New User
Visit site
It was on the AHAR animal rescue page asking for donations to AHAR to bring the 2nd pony over, then it was on the Swiftwood go-fund-me page asking for donations to Swiftwood.

NO... THIS IS INCORRECT... AHAR posted the GOFUNDME link which linked straight to Swiftwood Sanctuary not to them at all.
Ive looked on the AHAR page and absolutely nowhere were they asking for money to bring the second pony over - they just posted Swiftwood Sanctuarys link.

Antw23uk

Visit site

Idiot!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
racist pahahaha, that has to be one of the most ridiculous statements ever.
d050.gif

It is two THIS TIME, there have been others and there will be more.

paddi22

Visit site

You are a complete judgemental moron. You have no idea what people here do or don't do. I have six rescues here at the moment, and do you know what i DON'T do.

I don't
• take in more than i can adequately care for
•ask people for money to cover their cover
• let them go months without a farrier
• ship them off to loan homes uncastrated or the wrong sex
• transport (already unsettles horses who have probably been moved from pillar to post) to other countries where i can't check on them

so you should honestly take a hard look at your 'charity' and ask is it doing the right thing. there are many many rescue horses in england that those people could have rehomed with less stress/hassle/ money. And the money could be put to better use.

So don't pull the 'at least they are doing something, you lot are useless card' because it's not true. And while you are at it you might want to get a dictionary and learn what racist actually means, cause i don't think you understand how to use it correctly for some bizarre reason.

paddi22

Visit site
i'm still laughing at the racist thing!

Are we also sexist if it was an english woman who took them in? Or ageist if it was an old person? Maybe they were poor and we were just being snobby? It's so hard to know what your accused of at times...

I know how to make myself wonderful though. I'm going to trap a one legged crow i saw in a tree yesterday and raise thousands to send it to america to get a bionic robot leg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
There will be more? Do you know the sanctuary and their intakes then? Apologies if you do...

I meant overall... import of rescue animals from Ireland, and the rest of europe for that matter, I note the sanctuary has at least had a dog from mainland europe recently too. It just means that the only two argument just doesn't stack up.

I'm not too fussed as long as those funding it are aware of how many other animals the money might be able to help without any import costs, the whole thing seems pretty flawed thinking to me though, especially for animals that have already been 'rescued' (or in AHAR's case purchased) so not in immediate need.

Antw23uk

Visit site
i'm still laughing at the racist thing!

Are we also sexist if it was an english woman who took them in? Or ageist if it was an old person? Maybe they were poor and we were just being snobby? It's so hard to know what your accused of at times...

I know how to make myself wonderful though. I'm going to trap a one legged crow i saw in a tree yesterday and raise thousands to send it to america to get a bionic robot leg

Oh god I'm always being called a snob or snobby ... what does that actually mean? Does it mean I'm a racist? Hahaa ;)

VikingSong

Visit site

Looks like you're rivalling me for the agent provocateur around these parts. You're also confusing "racism" with "xenophobia" of which neither applies to this thread..