Swimming...

Kat_Bath

Visit site
It's been a while since I've been in AAD... On HHO at all really... Anyway, I'm back and I'm going to catch up on all the doggy threads once I've posted this.

We'd like Harvey to be confident around water, for a few reasons. One, my old dog had a terrible accident where he nearly drowned and I never want to go through that again. Two, we want to go canoeing, to beaches and know he is safe and able to be in water without panic.

He is very happy in puddles, ditches, shallow rivers etc, but once he is unsure, he won't go in, which I am actually very grateful for. However, if we were canoeing and he went in (at which point we'd probably all be in 😂😂) I'd like him to feel like it might actually be fun! I should note, he will have a life jacket on whenever we are in a situation like that.

Last week, we booked half an hour at a doggy day care place that has a pool to see what he'd be like. Needless to say I don't think he had much fun! The pool is essentially a big tank with a ramp up and then an internal ramp that goes along one of the short sides and turns the corner for about a foot but then drops off.

We didn't put a life jacket on straightaway in case he had actually done this before and just jumped in and swam around. He actually fell off the internal ramp and just got straight back out as quickly as he could (we assisted). At that point we put a life jacket on him and over the course of the next 20 minutes we got him in twice but he just wanted to head straight back out. I don't blame him to be honest.

I'm now not sure where to go from here. I will book the pool again and hopefully we'll be able to go with our dog walker and her lab who loves swimming (and can swim). However, the pool is such an unnatural environment.

Would be we be just as well donning wetsuits and going to the beach (we could go to Cramond, for those familiar with the Edinburgh area, which is shallow for what seems like miles!) or Loch Lomond? Obviously, we'd put a life jacket on him.

Is there anything else we can do?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wouldn't bother with the tank tbh. Can you take him to somewhere where he can walk in and gradually get deeper, preferably with another experienced dog that likes swimming. I must say, I have never known a Lab that doesn't like swimming, so I wonder if he is picking up on your anxiety.

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Our labs are very accomplished open water swimmers but each of them took time to adjust to swimming in a pool, I think it is an alien environment to them, Pearlsasinger's idea is a good one, the more natural the environment the more at home they seem to be. The Yellow Peril did not swim until she was 18 months old, and although her first swim when she came to live with us was not pretty (think splashy paddlestreamer) within 3 minutes she was barely making a splash. It's important to train them to wait for the OK to swim, ours regularly river swim but they don't just assume they'll be allowed to swim, they wait to be told it is ok so we can check water conditions before they get in. 🐾🐟 Good Luck.

Stiff Knees

Visit site
To add, his first swim should be short as he'll tire quickly in cold water and if he's anxious he may find it hard to control his breathing. His muscles could cramp too. Our hydro therapist was always against open water swimming because of the risk of cardiovascular shock so worth bearing in mind the dangers in cold, still water (you've had one bad experience which must have been awful to witness so you do right being cautious).

Kat_Bath

Visit site
I wouldn't bother with the tank tbh. Can you take him to somewhere where he can walk in and gradually get deeper, preferably with another experienced dog that likes swimming. I must say, I have never known a Lab that doesn't like swimming, so I wonder if he is picking up on your anxiety.

He does love water, I just wonder if he's got to 5 years old and never actually swum.

There are a few places we can go that would would be walk in, yes. I'll maybe chat to our dog walker and see if we can borrow her lab one weekend and find us some wetsuits!

I was very brave and, surprisingly, didn't feel very anxious. Having Jo (OH) there made a big difference - I could do it on my own.

Our labs are very accomplished open water swimmers but each of them took time to adjust to swimming in a pool, I think it is an alien environment to them, Pearlsasinger's idea is a good one, the more natural the environment the more at home they seem to be. The Yellow Peril did not swim until she was 18 months old, and although her first swim when she came to live with us was not pretty (think splashy paddlestreamer) within 3 minutes she was barely making a splash. It's important to train them to wait for the OK to swim, ours regularly river swim but they don't just assume they'll be allowed to swim, they wait to be told it is ok so we can check water conditions before they get in. 🐾🐟 Good Luck.

I'm really glad to hear that, for a few reasons. One, he is very good at waiting to be told what to do and two, because on one ocassion, we were down by a shallow river and once we'd checked it was alright (I went in in my wellies), he was eager but waited. I wonder if me going in also helped him see it was OK?

Kat_Bath

Visit site
To add, his first swim should be short as he'll tire quickly in cold water and if he's anxious he may find it hard to control his breathing. His muscles could cramp too. Our hydro therapist was always against open water swimming because of the risk of cardiovascular shock so worth bearing in mind the dangers in cold, still water (you've had one bad experience which must have been awful to witness so you do right being cautious).

Makes perfect sense.

Potentially stupid question, would he be OK to walk before or after a short try? The reason I ask is both of the most suitable locations are about an hour away so it would be nice to walk as well, to make the most of it. I'm going to have a look and see if there's a closer place though.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
He'd be better off swimming with warmed up muscles, so a walk beforehand is a good idea, and a walk afterwards will help him dry off and keep his muscles warm after his swim.🐾

That also makes sense - thank you.

One final question, harness (has a handle so very useful) or life jacket or nothing? I think if he didn't have anything on, we'd have a job to get him any deeper than his knees, not that we would force him but we would be able to guide him.

Now we just need to wait for a nice day...!!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Borrow a mate’s confident dog (are you near me?! Bear will show him the way!) and hopefully that will make him more confident. A shallow lake/river with deeper bits to swim in would be fabulous.
Re the harness, I think it’s a good idea, possibly with a longline, if you’re worried about him, but be aware of underwater hazards that might snag on it.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Borrow a mate’s confident dog (are you near me?! Bear will show him the way!) and hopefully that will make him more confident. A shallow lake/river with deeper bits to swim in would be fabulous.
Re the harness, I think it’s a good idea, possibly with a longline, if you’re worried about him, but be aware of underwater hazards that might snag on it.

Are you near Glasgow?! Getting another dog involved is a very good idea. A long line is also a good idea as we have been using one for some time now on busy walks and he responds well. Downside is the one I have is an actual lunge which soaks up water like a sponge but it'll do.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Will he retrieve? I've one that will paddle but won't swim off his own bat, but luckily will follow a ball into the gates of hell no matter how many times I chuck it. I used to go into the sea/river with fishing waders to get him swimming.

The other one is like a shark and swims for fun. Getting him out is the issue.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wouldn't want anything that could snag on something unseen under the water and wouldn't expect a Lab to need a life-jacket in a walk-in/walk-out place (different when you are canoeing or on a canal and I must admit the idea of you going kitted out in a wet suit made me laugh!

We have Rotters now who dislike getting wet but we used to just walk the Labs to somewhere with accessible water, let them swim and walk back, or walk along the beach with the people paddling and the dogs swimming a bit further out. I would be careful swimming alongside your dog, I have had one try to climb on my back when I was doing that - not the best thing to happen. A ball is a good idea if he does enjoy retrieving them.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Will he retrieve? I've one that will paddle but won't swim off his own bat, but luckily will follow a ball into the gates of hell no matter how many times I chuck it. I used to go into the sea/river with fishing waders to get him swimming.

The other one is like a shark and swims for fun. Getting him out is the issue.

He will, to a degree. He does sometimes get bored and then just decide not to. He will go in water after his ball or stick but he is hesitant after elbow height, even if it's not deep. On more than one ocassion we have got wet feet going to get something he hasn't... At the pool, he watched his ball land in the water then lept off the side on to the floor and ran round the side to get it 🤦🏼

I wouldn't want anything that could snag on something unseen under the water and wouldn't expect a Lab to need a life-jacket in a walk-in/walk-out place (different when you are canoeing or on a canal and I must admit the idea of you going kitted out in a wet suit made me laugh!

We have Rotters now who dislike getting wet but we used to just walk the Labs to somewhere with accessible water, let them swim and walk back, or walk along the beach with the people paddling and the dogs swimming a bit further out. I would be careful swimming alongside your dog, I have had one try to climb on my back when I was doing that - not the best thing to happen. A ball is a good idea if he does enjoy retrieving them.

We did just chat about going to Loch Lomond and think we might be OK if we're only in up to our knees but anything deeper than that and I would seriously be putting a wetsuit in - it's chilly!

His harness sounds like a good compromise. I guess a good start would be getting him nearly fully submerged as he's not even confident with that but we'll get there.

Roxylola

Visit site
I waited til we had some nice weather, put my shorts and flip flops on and went wading out til I was deep enough and called my spaniel. She was so ready to swim but just didn't have the braves for it. I'm the only thing she values enough to put fear aside bless her and out she came, she's still cautious but once given a breath of encouragement she's in now

Clodagh

Visit site
MotherofChickens is up that way, not that I know exactly where. Or Chiffy? I haven't read all replies but you need a gentle slope with a nice warm day and you to go in with him. :)

Kat_Bath

Visit site
I waited til we had some nice weather, put my shorts and flip flops on and went wading out til I was deep enough and called my spaniel. She was so ready to swim but just didn't have the braves for it. I'm the only thing she values enough to put fear aside bless her and out she came, she's still cautious but once given a breath of encouragement she's in now

That's so lovely ❤️

I think us getting in with him will definitely help!

MotherofChickens is up that way, not that I know exactly where. Or Chiffy? I haven't read all replies but you need a gentle slope with a nice warm day and you to go in with him. :)

There's a place on the east side of Loch Lomond called Milarrochy Bay which I think would be perfect so I think we'll try there to start with. It's just the warm day we may have issues with but I think over 15 degrees would be fine? We won't let him get cold regardless as we won't want to be cold either 😂

meleeka

Visit site
My parents got a rescue at 9 that seemingly didn’t like water. We took him for a nice walk with other dogs which included a river. Once he saw the other dog bouncing around retrieving balls he was happy to join in. We just threw the balls for all the dogs a little deeper each time. I’m sure he wouldn’t have been keen on his own, but the other dogs were used to this particular river and are accomplished swimmers. He still won’t go in past his knees on his own but is happy to go in deeper if there’s a ball or stick to be got.

I think the key is to make it fun and make sure you aren’t worrying yourself. Swimming is a perfectly normal thing for most dogs to do but he will pick up on it If you are anxious. A pool doesn’t sound like a very enjoyable experience at all so I’m not surprised he wasn’t keen.

Roxylola

Visit site
Thanks, she's pretty adorable for the most part but a bit over dependent at times - in an ideal world she'd like to crawl under my skin lol.

She's not a super confident dog at all tbf but water is definitely her element. Even she surprised me by needing a fair bit of encouragement at a dock diving day we went to, although again once in she was dragging me up the steps to the pool next time!

It's got its disadvantages though, we went to Banbury and stayed by the canal - she spent ages in and out the first day, then clearly had some reaction to something was going daft itching and had to spend the rest of the time on a lead because she'd been allowed in and be damned if I thought I was going to keep her out after I said she could *facepalm*

Kat_Bath

Visit site
My parents got a rescue at 9 that seemingly didn’t like water. We took him for a nice walk with other dogs which included a river. Once he saw the other dog bouncing around retrieving balls he was happy to join in. We just threw the balls for all the dogs a little deeper each time. I’m sure he wouldn’t have been keen on his own, but the other dogs were used to this particular river and are accomplished swimmers. He still won’t go in past his knees on his own but is happy to go in deeper if there’s a ball or stick to be got.

I think the key is to make it fun and make sure you aren’t worrying yourself. Swimming is a perfectly normal thing for most dogs to do but he will pick up on it If you are anxious. A pool doesn’t sound like a very enjoyable experience at all so I’m not surprised he wasn’t keen.

That sounds promising for us.

I actually feel better about not going back to the pool and much prefer the idea of going somewhere with a gentle slope, which for me to say is a big thing. I think it's because the pool is quite deep and also, unwelcoming for humans, let alone dogs. And to be honest, I want him to feel confident in a river, canal or lake, not a pool. I also have good support in OH and because I know what can happen, I'm more prepared. Not much could be worse than what Taz went through so in a way, that weirdly puts me at ease...

Thanks, she's pretty adorable for the most part but a bit over dependent at times - in an ideal world she'd like to crawl under my skin lol.

She's not a super confident dog at all tbf but water is definitely her element. Even she surprised me by needing a fair bit of encouragement at a dock diving day we went to, although again once in she was dragging me up the steps to the pool next time!

It's got its disadvantages though, we went to Banbury and stayed by the canal - she spent ages in and out the first day, then clearly had some reaction to something was going daft itching and had to spend the rest of the time on a lead because she'd been allowed in and be damned if I thought I was going to keep her out after I said she could *facepalm*

She sounds so lovely. I do think that once Harvey gets the hang of it, he'll be a bit like that, which could potentially be a right PITA, especially if we have another big outbreak of blue green algae but we can easily avoid those areas so not all bad.

Peter7917

Visit site
A few of mine don't actively WANT to swim but they will swim and are not unconfident doing so.

The best way I have found is to get in yourself. I take mine to a local reservoir and I swim! Once I am in calling them, they become eager to please and get themselves in to join me.

Except the whippet of course. She just sits on the grass in a strop.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
A few of mine don't actively WANT to swim but they will swim and are not unconfident doing so.

The best way I have found is to get in yourself. I take mine to a local reservoir and I swim! Once I am in calling them, they become eager to please and get themselves in to join me.

Except the whippet of course. She just sits on the grass in a strop.

She's sensible!

We're going to give it a go tomorrow - I'll let you all know how we get on :)

I've seen this before but it never, ever fails to make me laugh! This is what Cramond is like so we'd have to go out quite far to actually get any swimming done but I think it'll be a good place to go - there are normally other dogs there too.

I follow Stella on Facebook and she is ACE! I'd love to find enough leaves to try this with Harvey!

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
It's been a while since I've been in AAD... On HHO at all really... Anyway, I'm back and I'm going to catch up on all the doggy threads once I've posted this.

We'd like Harvey to be confident around water, for a few reasons. One, my old dog had a terrible accident where he nearly drowned and I never want to go through that again. Two, we want to go canoeing, to beaches and know he is safe and able to be in water without panic.

He is very happy in puddles, ditches, shallow rivers etc, but once he is unsure, he won't go in, which I am actually very grateful for. However, if we were canoeing and he went in (at which point we'd probably all be in 😂😂) I'd like him to feel like it might actually be fun! I should note, he will have a life jacket on whenever we are in a situation like that.

Last week, we booked half an hour at a doggy day care place that has a pool to see what he'd be like. Needless to say I don't think he had much fun! The pool is essentially a big tank with a ramp up and then an internal ramp that goes along one of the short sides and turns the corner for about a foot but then drops off.

We didn't put a life jacket on straightaway in case he had actually done this before and just jumped in and swam around. He actually fell off the internal ramp and just got straight back out as quickly as he could (we assisted). At that point we put a life jacket on him and over the course of the next 20 minutes we got him in twice but he just wanted to head straight back out. I don't blame him to be honest.

I'm now not sure where to go from here. I will book the pool again and hopefully we'll be able to go with our dog walker and her lab who loves swimming (and can swim). However, the pool is such an unnatural environment.

Would be we be just as well donning wetsuits and going to the beach (we could go to Cramond, for those familiar with the Edinburgh area, which is shallow for what seems like miles!) or Loch Lomond? Obviously, we'd put a life jacket on him.

Is there anything else we can do?

Watching this thread with interest as I lost a dog to drowning. I’ve always had a respect of waterways but with my new girl I’m very cautious especially with rivers with deep banks and canals fill me with an absolute dread.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Even my greyhounds can swim. They swam in the sea at Rock. They don't like it, and did it by accident playing in the shallows then tipping each other off a sand bank..... but my point is that they can....

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Watching this thread with interest as I lost a dog to drowning. I’ve always had a respect of waterways but with my new girl I’m very cautious especially with rivers with deep banks and canals fill me with an absolute dread.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

I'd love to just say I would like Harvey to be confident enough to swim to safety if the need arose but I can't because I actually NEED him to be able to because of what I witnessed happen to Taz. That said, building up Harvey's ability to swim is also helping me and I can also see that if he's not sure, he won't. I am mindful though, of places like canals. I've been surprised so far with how I've coped but it's a challenge. Ultimately though, I want to feel like I can have fun days out with my dog and not put restrictions on where we can go because that would make us all miserable.

It's sounds a bit crazy but I've also had to practice visualisation of other things. Quite often, Taz's accident appears as soon as I close my eyes to go to sleep. I'm not quite ready to replace it with Harvey having fun in a bog yet, but instead with something completely different, like doing flying changes or galloping up a hill. All this, in turn though, helps me visualise that Harvey will be OK. Sounds a bit mental but it does help!

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Even my greyhounds can swim. They swam in the sea at Rock. They don't like it, and did it by accident playing in the shallows then tipping each other off a sand bank..... but my point is that they can....

That's good to know! I often wonder if I'm too blame as I didn't learn to swim until 2015! Doesn't help that I'm sinker by nature 😂😂