Swish rugs - do they rub manes?

BBP

Visit site
Pony owns a zillions rugs but I am not really happy with the fit of any of them. His 200g full neck weatherbeeta rubs his mane, as does his 100g full neck shires tempest - I think this is probably because he carries his head relatively high, rather than his neck going forwards and down like my sisters connie, so he creates a bit of a fold/crease in the fabric a few inches up the neck from the wither). So he and I don't really like the neck rugs and at the moment is he mostly in his 100g standard neck weatherbeeta (even that isn't perfect, I have to knot/stitch the surcingles as they are way too long). As the temperature drops he could really do with a 200g standard neck (have a 350 amigo but that's way more than what he needs!) I wondered if the swish rugs, with their higher neck lines, would cause similar problems rubbing his mane as they seem to sit in the same place where his current neck rugs crease up? Any experiences of long maned horses with high head carriages??

(I have no idea if that makes sense...it does in my head!)

Jo1987

Visit site
I'm afraid he sound like my pony, his rugs all wrinkle up as you describe, and his mane is all rubbed out too! He has sweet itch however so he is hogged as soon as the rugs come off so it doesn't pose a problem! The swish rugs look nice and I would assume they will wrinkle back behind the problem area rather than having a proper neck piece to pull it forward again, causing the rubbing. Don't hold me to this though!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes my arabs have long manes and high neck/head carriage. I have the same problem with baggy surcingles too. I have to get the sewing machine out and shorten them regardless of the make. :(

I've not had a Swish rug, but I've not had rubbing problems with standard neck Horseware, Bucas or GFS rugs. I've got a couple of Rhino Wugs which don't rub either.

I personally think the mane rubs occur when the horse puts it's head down to graze. Combo rugs/neck covers go very tight over the mane by the withers when the horse grazes and I think it's this pressure that does the damage.

sychnant

Visit site
My Gypsy Cob has Swish rugs and they haven't rubbed his mane. It doesn't look as good as it could however as ASBO pony likes to swing off it :/

I love Swish rugs and won't buy anything else now :)

nikkimariet

Visit site
The swish rugs with detachable necks are brilliant. Don't rub ours and Fig has skin like a babies :)

I think it's combo necks and high cut withers that rub. Also the weight and the heat don't help. We only buy rugs with detachable or standard necks now.

BBP

Visit site
Thank you, I think I am going to stick with the standards and detachables now. his definitely creates pressure with his head up, head down it doesn't seem quite so bad. For £50 I may give Swish a go.

frannieuk

Visit site
I've been very impressed with the Swish rugs and they haven't rubbed either of my two, who are both completely different types - one is a 17.1 chunky DWB with a lot of neck and body and massive shoulders, and the other is a 16hh KWPN with big shoulders but not a lot else (more like a TB). The quality is good and the rugs last well too.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I have basically given up with attached necks. They all seem to pull out the mane :(

I have a headless snuggy hood turnout hood which I am (mostly) using instead of necks this year to keep off the worst of the grot and that seems to be working and so far I'm not pulling out chunks of mane.

My only exception is the detachable hood on my rhino which has no fill and doesn't seem to obliterate manes like other hoods do! I still use that one :)

BBP

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind too much about mud. I think I bought all of my neck rugs during 2012 when the rain was relentless and his old rug was leaving him soaked on his shoulders...so they seemed a good idea at the time! It's frustrating owning the pony that nothing fits! Especially when my sisters connie fits everything and after 2 years of going feral his previously pulled mane is now the length of my arm!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yes, my Swish rug rubbed half her mane out last winter. I suspect the vast majority of full neck cover rugs will and even if not, who can really afford to be buying new winter rugs every year in order to find out? This winter, I put her mane into plaits. She looks a bit daft with it all braided up but when I unbraid it, I'm pleased with how great it looks.

IMAG0589_zps163f5216.jpg

Last edited:

fuze

Visit site
I have 2 standard neck Swish turnout rugs, a no-fill and a 100g, and I can't say I've been too impressed with them. I've not had enough use out of them to say whether they rub or not, but the fit on my cob isn't the best... down past his knees, surcingles need stitching up, and the velcro at the chest is horrendous. My boy is a 14hh cobby type. I find Amigo far better, personally.