swolen knee wont go away

carmenlucy123

Visit site
right every time i write this dammed post the computer crashes here we go again

went hunting three weeks ago.
mare smacked knee on stone wall while jumping...balooned to twice the size
vet came out went on bute...
i can only turn her out tue thur and saturday
so everytime she stands in it flares up again!!!

never been lame before loosing fitness absolutely GUTTED

vet comming back in week to do x rays

so what would you do. i dont want to spend nearly £200 on x rays then vet say she just needs more time
is this length of time normal...what can i do to make swelling go the hell away
shes only slightly lame in trot but not always and is not in pain

basicly iv never had any lame probs so any advice from people who have seen this before

patchandloopy

Visit site
well she IS in pain if shes lame!!!

My horse bruised his knee in the field and wasnt lame at all on it, i used ice packs, witch hazel and arnica tablets ( human ones) after about 10days it went away, I think it is very worthwhile to spend on xrays if it still hasnt gone down after this length of time.

lucemoose

Visit site
My horse has still got a fat knee from the spring, it can take up to 8 months for the swelling to go down. His was scanned and Xrayed and his knee is clean but just an excess of fluid in the knee bursa.
He was never lame on it.
The swelling will take time to go away but if she is lame even periodically of course there is something wrong. Dont you want the piece of mind?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Quite simply you need to organise to have it out every day to walk the swelling off.

If your vet is genuinly concerned there may be a fracture, then I'm sure he would have advised keeping the horse in and x-raying (as I believe your having done).

Can never understand these yards that remain so inflexible as to not allow a horse that needs to be out (for reasons such as this) to be out.

carmenlucy123

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Quite simply you need to organise to have it out every day to walk the swelling off.

can never understand these yards that remain so inflexible as to not allow a horse that needs to be out (for reasons such as this) to be out.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutly i think this is the problem...vet really not keen on doing an Xray he didnt seem worried at all and yes it would be nice just to have one but im sure its the turnout thats stopping it from healing.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
absolutly i think this is the problem...vet really not keen on doing an Xray he didnt seem worried at all and yes it would be nice just to have one but im sure its the turnout thats stopping it from healing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell your YO then that she's got to go out for at least a couple of hours a day and what's the best way of achieving this.......