swollen back legs lame been nerve blocked

emmaa15

Visit site
Can anybody help, I posted on here a few weeks ago as my horse was going in to be nerve blocked and xrayd as both back legs are swollen vet thought arthiritis in fetlock but nothing showed up in any part of the leg and horse is still 5/10s lame has anybody had this issue before ? Could it be kissing spine or a pelvic problem Horse is due to go for a scintigraphy bone scan if the insurance decide to pay out but that could take a whole to all come through and although on bute horse is still not herself :( , anybody help

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
More information is needed as your post is very unclear.
Is she lame in one or both hind legs? Did she respond at all to blocking and what parts were blocked? Have her feet been looked at properly or just her fetlocks because that is where the swelling is? Does she improve on bute and does the swelling go down when she is turned out or is she on box rest? there are probably more but they will be a start, sorry no answers for you.

emmaa15

Visit site
She is lame on both back legs, was nerve blocked from sesimoid all the way up leg to stifle and never blocked to any of them, she the swelling is there weather she is in or out and although it goes down slightly whlist on the bute it's still barley anything, farrier says feet are fine I am unsure how to add a picture

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
If she is really 5/10ths lame on both legs that is extremely lame, I am surprised the vets have not done more to get to the bottom of it, I would be getting her in ASAP for more tests as you now know it is above the stifle the most obvious place would be the pelvis or SI joint, it could be a fractured pelvis to cause that amount of lameness, the swelling is probably a red herring and just due to lack of movement, circulation becoming sluggish, the fetlocks will be the place that naturally fills, I am also surprised your vet has focused on the swollen fetlocks as the primary area of concern, are you using an equine vet?

applecart14

Visit site
If she is really 5/10ths lame on both legs that is extremely lame, I am surprised the vets have not done more to get to the bottom of it, I would be getting her in ASAP for more tests as you now know it is above the stifle the most obvious place would be the pelvis or SI joint, it could be a fractured pelvis to cause that amount of lameness, the swelling is probably a red herring and just due to lack of movement, circulation becoming sluggish, the fetlocks will be the place that naturally fills, I am also surprised your vet has focused on the swollen fetlocks as the primary area of concern, are you using an equine vet?

I only found this out a few months ago but when my vet said my horse was 3 tenths lame (and looked only about one tenth lame) I questioned him about how he had reached that conclusion. He said that when a vet gives a lameness rating this can be based on the degree of lameness as well as how the horse is moving, ie. its foot placement, deviations in gait (such as winging or paddling), failure to land squarely on all four feet and the unnatural shifting of weight from one limb to another. The horse when walked and trotted in circles, on a lunge line may shorten its stride, have irregular foot placement, head bobbing, stiffness, weight shifting, etc. So the rating is not necessary indicative of pain completely. Although I do agree that 5/10ths lame sounds a lot.

My vet now using 8ths instead of 10ths on the 'scale'.

Last edited: