Swollen eye no discharge?

Kelpiedot

New User
Visit site
My sec d x appaloosa 2yr old had a big inflammatory reaction last Friday to a bite or sting on his chest and swelled up across his chest and down his front legs and slightly swollen eyes at the same time. The body swelling went down in 2 days but one of his eyes has stayed swollen. There is no discharge, just the odd tear but not wet round his eye. When his head is down the corner of his eye gapes and the tissue inside is red in colour. I did a salt water bathe and he let me touch it and open it. The horse flies are really bad with us right now and pollen is very high, he's grazing a field with lots of seeding grasses. I'm thinking it's too much coincidence to be a trauma or ulcer and is just the inflammatory reaction still rather than an infection?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
could be either. As it's been quite a while I'd def be picking up the phone to the vet.

Anything with eyes makes me twitchy. One of mine had a swollen eyelid over the weekend, fortunately it went down overnight with a fly mask on to keep irritation to a minimum but I tend to err on the side of at least phoning the vet for advice pretty quickly if in doubt.

Carrottom

Visit site
I would stable during the day to keep the flies off and speak to the vet if it doesn't start improving.

Summit

Visit site
You may have irritated it by using salt water. Unless you made sure it was the correct salinity?

We always bathed eyes in cold tea.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Unless the vet has seen the horse as part of the treatment for the original reaction, I would get them out now. If they have seen it, I would ring for further advice.