swollen fetlock

parsley

Visit site
My boy has got a swollen fetlock at the back - I think he has probably knocked it in the field. He isn't lame on it and there is not cut but it is a little bit hot. There isn't anywhere at the yard to cold hose so I have been packing it out with frozen peas! Does anyone have any experience of how long this sort of thing takes to go down, and is there anything else I can do to help? I want to get on and ride him but don't like to with it swollen.

patchandloopy

Visit site
can you not get a bucket of water and stand his foot in it-as high as the fetlock? that might help? Or a ice pack especially for under bandages-they normally stay cold for a few hours-although id not TO in it.

Hope hes ok!

_daisy_

Visit site
on a swelling without a cut i use uddermite/uddervite- got it from an agricultural merchant - think they use it on cows bags when they get mastitis. Its a peppermint cream that works along the same lines as cool gel. really cools the affected area.

parsley

Visit site
Thanks to both of you - I called the vet this morning and we agreed to have him seen tommorow if there is no change.

selina25

Visit site
depends on how long its has been hot poss more than three days I would call vet. Look for a puncture wound (tiny) could be a sting from a bee, a bite from a fly or even a thawn, somone on our yard had a horse with a thorn but it swole up and became infected the whole leg swole the horse was put on bute and a pressure bandage applied for a week to prevent spread of infection cleared up within 7 days.....

sure vet will re-assure you