Swollen hock

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
Youngster came in with a swollen hock a week or so ago. Not lame on it but very swollen, he doesn't mind you poking and prodding it or anything. I rang the vet at the time who said if he's not lame, it was up to me so I decided to see how he went.

It's still swollen but he's still not lame, so got the vet out today. They did flexion tests on the leg and said he is practically sound, she couldn't tell if the tiny bit of unlevelness after was due to uneven ground and unbalanced baby, or due to something else. Vets have advised xraying which I will go ahead with.

I didn't ask what they thought it could be because I'm a flustered fool, tbh I think she was a bit stumped as he isn't lame anyway.

Any ideas or experiences on what it could be? He's 18 months ish and very long legged and weak behind.

diamonddogs

Visit site
Where's the swelling? Is it on the point of the hock, because if it is it sounds like a capped hock.

My mare had one and was never lame, but her hock looked really odd, and it wobbled when touched. The vet said it was best to leave it (unless I was planning on showing her, in which case he would drain it, as it can be a permanent disfigurement) but to shout immediately if she became lame. I stopped noticing it after a while, but a friend who hadn't seen her without a rug for ages recently said it had just about gone back to normal.

Last edited:

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
Not the point, around the front of the leg :( I wish it was a capped hock! The swelling is over the boney part on the inside of the front of the hock if that makes sense. I don't know what the anatomical term is sorry! But basically you should be able to see and feel the bone on this part and it is covered with swelling. Xrays will reveal if it's sinister I spose but until then, I shall fret!

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
Faracat, I was dreading someone mentioning that :( it was in my mind but I was ignoring it. He has shot up recently as well, could definitely be described as fast growing. Xrays show that up right?