Swollen / infected eye from flies

MagicMelon

Visit site
Every year my veteran suffers from puffy eyes at this time of year which I can only think is due to flies which are horrendous right now even though he has a fly mask on from morning until late evening. One eye has got really bad tonight and is very puffy with yellowy gunk. Of course Ill call the vet first thing but does anyone know what can be done? I dont think he'll stand for eye drops if they give me antibiotics? Should I sponge it with salt water? At the moment Ive just wiped them regularly with water wipes.

He wears a mask all the time though except at night so Im worried how to stop this happening again??

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I would honestly call the vet now at least for advice, even if they lean the visit for tomorrow. Personally i wouldn't take any risks with eyes

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's probably fly eye, which can make the eyes swollen and weepy, but if you suspect the eye has sustained some sort of injury then it's vet asap. Can you send your vet a pic tonight?

Assuming it's fly eye, and all of mine have this to various degrees atm, clean the eye gently with cotton wool soaked in saline. Keep the horse in and out of the flies til it's settled down. I use 1% chloramphenicol antibiotic eye ointment if cleaning with saline isn't enough to sort it. I find ointment to be much easier to apply than drops.

Any doubt with eyes, and it's always wise to call the vet.

Last edited:

SpeedyPony

Visit site
My lad has trouble with the flies, a mask usually stops it, but one year he did have an infection caused by rubbing his eye against the mask and irritating it that way, so now I'm careful to wash masks often, especially after he's been rubbing his face in the mud ?‍♀️.
As for the drops- he's always been very good, much better than I thought he'd be, but the ointment is much easier to apply- as it's a bit stiffer, you can pull the lower eyelid down and squeeze a little worm of ointment up onto the eye itself without having to get the tip of the tube too close to the eyeball.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My old boy is prone to this. He wears his fly mask day and night with no issues. As long as I’m strict about using it he doesn’t get it. It is taken off for riding or if in. I’ve used a cold teabag before to soothe the eye but usually I’ve had to get the vet out for antibiotic ointments to get it to clear.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
If its an injury definitely a vet, but if fly eye (mine get it if they get their masks off) I have a stash of optrex eye ointment I use for a day or so & it goes quickly - that was suggested to me by a vet.

tristar

Visit site
this is my regime, wash eyes with salt water, old horse gets eye moisturizer, do this first thing every morning, put on fly masks, turn out, check at lunch time, check at 5pm, any gunge gets washed out again, always keep in stock antibiotic cream or drops in box out of sunlight for first aid emergency, wash masks fly fringes as needed

at present horse in from 11 am to 7 pm

MM sounds like could have conjunctivitis

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Vetericyn eye wash is excellent if he will tolerate the eyes being cleaned! I agree with others that if something antibiotic is required regularly then ointment is easier than drops, but with a little patience it's surprisingly easy to train (bribe!) even awkward horses to have eyes cleaned or ointment put in in my experience. Our Appaloosa had to have Maxitrol in his eyes three times a day for a time and could manage it very quickly and efficiently in return for a ginger biscuit - we put the ointment into the corner of the eye and started by just holding the tube by the eye and making a fuss of him, giving him a treat etc. Then opening the tube and sitting it there and so on, building it up.

I would say to ask a vet ASAP though as not worth risking anything where eyes are involved, but I think you'll get it under control. :)