Swollen legs from mud fever...how long

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I'm getting on top of the scabs on my horses mud fever. A majority have come off already, there are just a couple of patches that might take a few days. I'm applying plenty of cream so I'm hoping these will soften over the next day or so. Once the scabs have gone hoe long is it usually before the swelling on the lower limbs go? I'm just conscious it's Easter weekend coming up and I would rather not have a vet call out!! I'd rather get vet before but there isn't much to see other than a few stubborn scabs and a couple of fat legs!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
How long’s a piece of string? Providing there’s no sign of infection they’ll heal up and stop swelling within 10 days or so.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Are you feeding cleaver and marigold? If not, add it in, it will help.

Don't forget the scabs you removed are infectious so dispose of them carefully.
I forgot about cleaver and marigold, thanks for reminding me. I will get some. The scabs are just sort of coming off with the next lot of cream I'm putting on. I'm not washing his legs at the moment.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Have ordered cleaver and marigold.

If I got the vet out would it speed the process up? Only asking as I work full time and I'm conscious he won't be getting enough exercise if he has to stay in indefinitely.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Forgot to add I've ordered some bits from nettex. A de scab, a disinfectant type cream and a mud away cream for when he can go back out.

Jambarissa

Visit site
It sounds like you're using barrier creams, these form a non breathable layer which is five for keeping bacteria out of healthy skin but you are actually trapping the bacteria beneath giving it a great environment to breed.

You should wash and dry and only pick scabs off if it's gunky underneath. Something like silver cream or zinc cream would help healing.

Swollen legs is actually quite far along the mud fever severity range. Vet may give antibiotics and would give you a suitable cream, if you're sure you don't need a visit call them and ask fir a cream for mud fever, mine would just supply it.

teddy_

Visit site
I second Meddi-Mud. I tried everything for my mares mud fever (three courses of antibiotics + all the creams you can think of), and this was the only thing that actually stopped reoccurrence.

ETA: as above, I would suggest you do have your vet assess. If inflammation is not dealt with, your horse could end up with cellulitis - in the worst case scenario.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Only thing that worked for my lad was steroid cream from the vet. Wish I'd have done it straight off the bat as it would have saved me a small fortune in lotions & potions! Thoroughly patch test meddi mud - can't find anywhere what the ingredients are but my boy had a reaction & legs were boiling!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Legs looking much better this morning . I've washed and dried the 2 affected legs. I've ordered some nettex mud away or something ( can't remember name) to go on his legs when he can go back out. I'm still at least ringing the vet for advice. I know they will say they want to come out but if that means we can resolve it more quickly then it will be worth it.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Definitely speak to vet but we used the Muddy Buddy products on ours, first the wash (leave it on for 5 mins then wash off) then dry then add the muddy buddy Kure cream overnight then the barrier stuff when they go out. It cleared up ours in a few days it was great stuff x

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Vet has been out. He has some steriod/ antibiotic cream for his legs. He's had a steroid injection. She advised wrapping legs in cling film to remove scabs. She asked to see him trot up to see his level of discomfort. Little monkey carted me off down the school!! Not much discomfort going on!! Hoping to see major improvements by the weekend. She's happy for me to ride in walk as much as possible to keep him moving.

First Frost

Visit site
Glad you got the vet for peace of mind, especially with the holiday coming up!
Was going to suggest the cling film trick but your vet got there first!!! Glad he isn't in pain. The walking out will help to keep the swelling down. Mud fever can be difficult to shift but it sounds like you are already getting on top of it!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Glad you got the vet for peace of mind, especially with the holiday coming up!
Was going to suggest the cling film trick but your vet got there first!!! Glad he isn't in pain. The walking out will help to keep the swelling down. Mud fever can be difficult to shift but it sounds like you are already getting on top of it!
Front leg looking a lot less angry tonight. It was nearly back to normal after his walk. His back leg went right down. He has been creamed within an inch of his life, clingfilmed and bandaged!! Fingers crossed he is back to normal sooner rather than later!!
Hope your boy is still improving.