swollen legs

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Move yards so you can turn it out
tongue.gif

samp

Visit site
I would try and walk them out as much as poss, turn out in school and also bandage the legs. Also reduce the hard feed

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Firstly Id be a tad concerned since you say the the horse / horses in question are youngsters. Filled legs - assuming there is no physiological problem causing the swelling - are generally associated with a lack of circulation (hence reduced turnout and age start to come into the equation).

How much exactly is restricted turnout? If its extremely severe then I would, as amymay suggested, consider a new yard - particularly if the horse / horses in question are proper babies.

Assuming there is no actual physiological problem then you need to be considering their work. By youngster, how old are we talking? Legs will fill after the horse has been stood for a period of time so as someone else suggested, Id be considering walking them in hand / long reining or something in addition to some ridden work (dependent of course on how old said youngster is).

You can bandage to avoid filled legs but I really wouldnt do this unless you're a whizz at bandaging. Its really important that stable bandages are used correctly or they'll just cause more harm than good. The user-friendly alternative to stable bandaging is stable wraps which usually just velcro round their legs. You can also consider stable wraps which incorporate magnotherapy which tends to help increase circulation. Again though... for me it would depend on how old this youngster is.

annie02

Visit site
I agree with Tierra and Amymay, the best thing to do is more turn out. If he is on any grain, decrease that, it can contribute to stocking up. Other than that you can bandage, but I think you are simply getting a quick fix with that. Your horse simply needs more time to move.

torzay

Visit site
I think that turning out is the best cure, but if it's not always possible then you could put some rubber matting down in the stable, as this will help keep your horse off the hard concrete which can promote swelling in the back legs.

pfarrugia

Visit site
My boys get really swollen legs when they're in. I've had them on a new supplement from global herbs called lymphblend and it works wonders. Still a tiny but swollen in the mornings but nothing like they used to be. They both used to get legs so swollen the skin was near to bursting. I love this supplement now! Bit pricey tho (£24 for 1kg lasts bout 3-4 wks) but I won't be without it anymore!
ooo.gif

vickers22

Visit site
If possible you really do need to get them out, otherwise they can start to develop problems due to lack of circulation. I use magnetic wraps but as it is with your youngsters I would either put them on a supplement or, as said before get matting. Softstall matting works a dream!But is very pricey.(Isnt everything!!)