SWOLLEN LEGS

_daisy_

Visit site
Can someone help me and give me some advice please.
Im sure Chantin has been sent to test me. She gets everything and anything wrong with her. This is the latest in the string of problems.

Last night both her back legs and mainly 1 of her front legs were slightly swollen and a bit warm. Bit of a concern as they normally dont swell. Well thought it could be due to the heat and she wasnt moving around much. Checked her this morning and her back legs are really swollen along with 1 of her fronts and the other front is slightly swollen - again bit warm.
Chantin does
confused.gif
have a cut on her OH which is in the process of healing - thought it could be due to this but its not.
Can anyone give me any advice of why this could be happening?
Ive checked my veterinary manual and it mainly gives the reason of them being stabled. I had also wondered if it could be due to her feed???
So this is what she is/gets/does:
17.2hh 4yo WB. 24/7 turnout - decent grass. She has 1 scoop of D&H yearling cubes & 1 scoop of D&H pasture mix each day to help maintain her weight. She hasnt been ridden since the weekend due to the heat as she sweats profusely when ridden anyway. She was wormed on Sunday night with Equest. Could this be a factor?

Any advice greatly received.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Too much protein and not enough exercise??? Standing in?? Recent move of field??

Things that immediately spring to mind. If the legs don't go down, or fill even more I'd give the vet a ring - just in case she has lynphangytis (sp)>

WallisM

Visit site
Hi there,
In May my horse got Lympthangitus that was caused by a bit of wire piercing his frog which caused a massive infection to the lymph glads and leg. We had to poltice it for weeks, hose his legs everyday the vet came out 3 times in 6 weeks he was put on antibiotics and given bute for 6 days and was on total box rest.
He was never lame but was very unhappy, He is totally fine now and ready to compete. I would say get the vet be safe then sorry.
xx

charlie76

Visit site
We have had 2 or 3 horses on the yard with swollen legs- vet said that its a combination of hard ground and heat. Ours have been cold hosed and bandaged and turned out as much as pos- they then go down quite quickly.

_daisy_

Visit site
my trainer changed her feed over 4 months ago to help increase her weight as other feeds werent helping. Ive spoken to D&H and they say that if it is working then to keep her on it

_daisy_

Visit site
cheers amymay i know youd give me some things to think about.
ive got to ignore the standing in as shes out 24/7 - she hates being in. the only thing i can think is if shes just standing in the field and not moving around much because of the heat?
I moved her to this field last Monday because the flies arent as bad in the field. the field was over grown so has been cut and baled.
Was thinking this morning if magnetic boots might help?

_daisy_

Visit site
thanks for this Jimbo. have been looking at Lymphangitis (sp?) this morning. I cant see why she would have it but ill see how she is tonight after working her and look at getting the vet out if theyre no better.

_daisy_

Visit site
i was wondering if she had been running around if a horse had gone down the road or her next door neighbours had been taken out of the field. It is a possibility with all this hot weather were having.
Ill cold hose them tonight before riding her.
Do you think magnetic boots might halp rather than bandaging? What about cold boots?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Was thinking this morning if magnetic boots might help?

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmmm not sure really. It will be interesting to see how they are after gentle excerise.

Have just re-read your post and have to say that I would ring my vet actually.

_daisy_

Visit site
ill have to did the cool boots out - problem is they have to be soaked in cold water - wont take them long to warm back up in this weather. Maybe cool gel might help?

_daisy_

Visit site
cheers Jimbo - i really hope its nothing major just the weather. Good thing is shes not lame and not off colour. ill ring the vets when i get down to see her if theres no change.

Nic

Visit site
My boy also has puffy legs but with no heat in them I have put it down to the hot weather but exercise and cold hosing dont seem to have helped.

D normaly has puffy legs before exercise/after stabling overnight though. If you find anything to help I would love to hear.

Equibeau

Visit site
My boys back legs are puffy and I have never seen them like that. He's not lame or anything and the fronts are fine, think it is the heat.

S_N

Visit site
Hey hun,

I wouldn't bother with magnetic boots - there effect is negligible imo!

Speask to your vet, possibly call out and try to get her moving! If she was mine, I would alter her diet - possibley consider a high oil diet....

peanutpussycat

Visit site
I would lower the protein level, i.e. cut the feed. If she's on grass thats just been cut then she is on the perfect 'horsey length' grass and would be getting loads from it. most she wld prob need is a vit supplement. If you work on high fibre and high oil diet this should help. This would help if its due to diet. I would cold hose for 15 mins twice a day, as it's not gonna hurt. If it was mine, i wld also give a bute a day for 4 days to help take down inflamation (waiting for the repurcussions!!!) If not lame i wld prob walk for 10 mins twice a day too. gd luck