Swollen lower eyelid

coss

Visit site
Before I start, Yes - I have been in touch with a vet....

about 2 weeks ago late at night i noticed my horse's left eye was a bit weepy, as it had been windy i suspected got some dust/hair in it as him and fieldmate are both casting and they rub on each other with their faces. I expected either much worse or better by morning. It was just different, discharge had reduced greatly but the eye looked a little tired. Washed with cold tea and the eye improved dramatically within half an hour. There seemed to be a good improvement with the twice daily rinses (plain water or cold tea) but after a couple of days a hay seed came out the eye about an inch long! So figured that had been the irritant. Healing plateaued so contacted the vet who came out, had a look in the eye, said there were no ulcers and no other debris, given opticlox eye ointment to put in twice daily for "a few days" - duly did that and much improved and looked 100% within 4 days. Stopped treatment. 2/3 days later eye looked tired again. Continued use of eye cream. Ran out of eye cream at the weekend so went in and got more - eye now very open but not 100% and more just the lower lid that is swollen. Thought I could see something - hayseed? - in the eye this morning just pulling the lower lid down but obviously didn't want to stick my finger in to try to pull it out (well i did want to do that but realised it could cause more harm than good). Called vet out who kept looking in the eye without touching it or looking at the third eyelid. Said all he could see was a little bit of yellowy discharge so probably infection and told me to continue use of the eye cream.

First diagnosis was conjunctivitis. Today "some deep rooted infection"... asked how long to use cream for before calling vet again and told 3-4 days (bare in mind i restarted the cream at the weekend anyway so that's 3 days of cream before vet recalled) Asked if it wasn't better in 3-4 days with the use of cream what would be done and couldn't get an answer!
Can conjunctivitis take quite a while to go? the surface of the eye looks good and it's really only when comparing the eyes you can see something isn't quite right with one of them. Slightly puffy on the lower lid which isn't helped by pulling the eye about trying to get cream in but obviously isn't helped if no cream applied...

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Hmm well it can take a few days to clear if conjunctivitis. Has the vet put the colour liquid to see if ulcer brewing. I would keep a fly mask on if not doing so yet to keep flies - dirt - hair etc getting in and making worst. I would insist your vet give you a proper diagnosis asap as you cannot leave it or diss it for too long.

After all your paying for an actual diagnoses not just treating something with meds when you don't actually know what the cause is or what your dealing with.

If not Change your vet

Last edited:

coss

Visit site
Yes fly mask on. No risk of flies yet - far too cold/wet/windy lol. hay and hair definitely a potential problem so mask been on for 2 weeks or so.
No drops used even when I asked if that should be done for further checking - answer was "no point" and both vets were very confident in stating there wasn't any sign of ulcers (without using coloured liquid)

SEL

Visit site
I would be getting a second opinion on this. I've got an appaloosa with pink skin and she's very prone to eye problems so we have had the vet out pretty regularly for them. The vets have sedated and popped drops in for a really good look on much less than you're describing.

I tend to find conjunctivitis starts to show definite improvement within 3 days of drops - and I'm usually under instruction to have the vet back out if it isn't showing improvement.

The other thing I have done in the past is to absolutely soak the eye with cold tea. Lots of fresh cotton wool pads (the makeup ones are great because they don't shed fibres) and I really get loads in her eye to wash out whatever is there. If it is something that just needs a bit of help then that might work, but my concern would be there is something sharp that has got embedded and this isn't going to clear until its removed.

coss

Visit site
Flushed the eye with saline solution yesterday and today and it does seem to be improving (plus cream once dabbed dry). Am hoping it's now an upwards spiral