Swollen sheath. Any advice please?

Achinghips

Visit site
Lad developed a swollen sheath last winter due to poor circulation. Vet involved and cause was eventually traced to hock arthritis. Although out 24/7, he just stood around his round bale as he didn't want to move. Hocks were injected, and he was happier for about a month but then injection wore off. It's two months since injection and now he has a face like a shovel again. Sheath is a little swollen again, vet says once swollen they usually always are prone to it and there's nothing I can do except increase his exercise.
Any thoughts please about how to manage this winter? Vet says to give him two bute a day through winter and keep him in work ....... Anything else? Lad is a big lazy by nature, heavyweight, who also suffers with copd during winter. Not easy, is it?

Last edited:

DD265

Visit site
Unfortunately movement really is key. I've found SCENAR helps too, but we've never treated the sheath directly. We have on occasion treated the lymphatic system, but primarily it's been focused on arthritic joints (hocks, hips) and muscular issues (lumbar area).

If you clean his sheath, try to time it so that you know he won't be too swollen. If I want to clean my lad's sheath in winter I need to have him sedated as he just gets too uncomfortable, so I'll be doing his sheath within the next couple of weeks and then hopefully we can leave it alone.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Mac is quite arthritic. Have recently moved onto my own grazing, and have set up a track system so they have to keep moving around to eat. Am not feeding hay yet, but plan is, once I do, will put piles out around the tracks so they have to keep moving.

Clodagh

Visit site
Mac is quite arthritic. Have recently moved onto my own grazing, and have set up a track system so they have to keep moving around to eat. Am not feeding hay yet, but plan is, once I do, will put piles out around the tracks so they have to keep moving.

They will think that is a mobile sleeping system! I have learned over years of having them out not to put hay on the floor, Ol just used to pee and sleep in it. Could you make some hay stations out of pallets? We actually have an old cross country hay rack jump that we used.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would put him on danilon ( which I prefer to bute ) .
It will encourage him to move around and help with the swollen sheath .

sjp1

Visit site
Mine had a swollen sheath for years - actually sorting his mineral balancing out and removing him from high protein and sugar/starch haylage has made all the difference. Movement - even when out 24/7 made no difference.