Swollen sheath on gelding

SueAllen

Visit site
Friend's 23 year old pony has a swollen sheath. Doesn't appear to be bothering him and she is calling the vet to discuss today so it will get sorted but has anyone had any experience in this department?!

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Only last year a 10yo gelding on the yard had a swollen sheath due to flies! The owner had never cleaned it. However, it's still very early for flies, but gnats are in abundance!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
My friends gelding gets a swollen sheath from Midge bites. She has to spray this area with a human jungle type insect repellant to stop him being bitten too much. She also makes sure he doesn't go out too early or come in too late as Midges are worst at dawn and dusk.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Has she cleaned it recently? I used a special sheath cleaning stuff once, made my ponies sheath swell right up - must have been allergic so I have never used an cleaning stuff again!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Chancer gets this as he has minor sweet itch which makes him rub his tail and his belly/sheath.

I feed him brewers yeast and apply loads of my fly repellent and sudocream which helps.

I also sprayed frontline round this area but not the entrance of the sheath as they can get mites.

I clean his sheath with water as he does get it muddy at times when ground humping.

SueAllen

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. I will pass them on to her and see what the vet had to say.

Ground humping???!! Is that what it sounds?!
blush.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
Yes - he lies down and rubs his todge like he is having a - you know what
blush.gif
He also can chew it - very flexible little boy!

Have also noticed with our old clydie, Cairo that he gets slightly swollen in his manly areas if he stands in a lot or the weather is very hot but he is either too big or too well brought up to ground hump like my common gypsy cob.
grin.gif

joy

Visit site
Has it been wormed recently? My gelding Spyder (not the recently gelded one) had a swollen sheath following worming with powder wormer.