Pictures Swollen sheath - one side

Charlie Bucket

Visit site
Hi everyone, hoping for some knowledge or experience please..

My 13yr old gelding has a swollen sheath on his off side. It’s been swollen on and off (mainly on) since Christmas. The vet has been out twice to not much avail. It’s been cleaned, small bean removed. He’s had a course of Danilon which didn’t do much other than give him the sh*ts. It’s been cold hosed which helped, but as soon as we stopped hosing it swells right back up again.

He’s currently out 24/7 with a token chaff feed once a day containing Yea-Sac and a joint supplement. He’s retired due to a sacroiliac issue which is chronic and ongoing (lame in canter). It doesn’t appear to be causing him any pain, but it is itchy/uncomfortable and can sometimes have a black smelly discharge around it.

I can’t identify any other signs of Cushing’s as this was my first thought.

Going to see the vet again as it’s ongoing. Interested in any and all insights!

Thanks in advance:)

Attachments

• 5E5B0368-8A9C-4BD6-9D40-29F2A2A21D47.jpeg
    5E5B0368-8A9C-4BD6-9D40-29F2A2A21D47.jpeg
    993.4 KB · Views: 57

RHM

Visit site
That looks just like DP’s sheath when his insulin goes through the roof but his swells equally rather than one side.
My pony has EMS and his is exactly like you said, when it’s unmanaged his sheath swells horrendously, it is also hot to the touch.

Charlie Bucket

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, it’s the one sidedness that’s baffling me (and seemingly the vets too). There’s no heat in it either!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
DP doesn’t have any heat in his, just the swelling and it goes down within 48 hours if I keep him off the grass and he is ridden so he sweats profusely. It seems to be the only thing that brings his insulin level back to normal.

It might be worthwhile asking your vet to do a test for EMS especially as it goes up and down. No idea why it’s one sided though. Is he muzzled at all? Edit to say that adding salt to the feed is also recommended for EMS horses.

Charlie Bucket

Visit site
Thank you, I have been reading about EMS and it’s definitely a possibility so I will mention it to our vet.

No he isn’t muzzled..He hasn’t been on good grazing that’s the thing, he is now but this started in the winter when he was in at night/out in the day. Continued whilst he was on box rest for a short time due to losing his field companion. Then seemed to get better when he was turned back out. Now back to this again..

I will do some more reading up about insulin levels, and EMS, as it’s a definite possibility. thanks again :)

Lilly-Mayspookatbags

Visit site
Might not be much help, but my 21 year old gelding gets swelling like that for no reason what so ever. He gets it every other summer, give or take!

Normally take him for some fast exercise and then it will go down over the next couple of days

planete

Visit site
My 22 year old gelding has been exactly like your for a few months. He has had a full blood panel, ACTH and TRH test and a fasting glucose test. All normal. It goes down if he moves about a lot and fills back up if he stands around. It does not seem to affect him as he is bright and happy in himself and I have given up worrying about it.

Edit: one side is larger than the other with him too right now.

Charlie Bucket

Visit site
Might not be much help, but my 21 year old gelding gets swelling like that for no reason what so ever. He gets it every other summer, give or take!

Normally take him for some fast exercise and then it will go down over the next couple of days

Hi, yes very helpful thank you! It could definitely be relevant, as Charlie’s got a bit better when he was turned out after box rest, assuming because he was moving around more. But now it’s back maybe he just needs a little more exercise! Unfortunately I can’t ride him, but will start walking him in hand and see if it makes any difference..
Thanks again! :)

Charlie Bucket

Visit site
My 22 year old gelding has been exactly like your for a few months. He has had a full blood panel, ACTH and TRH test and a fasting glucose test. All normal. It goes down if he moves about a lot and fills back up if he stands around. It does not seem to affect him as he is bright and happy in himself and I have given up worrying about it.

Edit: one side is larger than the other with him too right now.

This is really interesting, thanks! Iv just responded to another comment suggesting it could be lack of movement related. Really hope so!

I go through stages of worrying and then giving up worrying! Back in the worrying phase at the moment ?

Frano

Visit site
My 25 year old gelding has had this most summers for approx last eight years. Goes down with exercise. Worse in hot weather, I think because he hides in the shelter and doesn’t move around so much. Clean regularly . Vet has trued various things made no difference. I use sudocreme or neem oil to deter flies as I think flies aggravate the problem.