Swollen sheath - thoughts please

Marigold4

Visit site
My young horse has developed yet another minor ailment. This time a swollen sheath with possibly some blood inside. Uncomfortable with it as he was stamping back leg. Vet was out last week to look. He's had 5 days of antibiotics and bute. Swelling went down but now back again - but this could be the hot weather. On vet's advice i have been cleaning inside sheath with cotton wool and cool water. Cotton wool comes away red/brown. Could this be blood? I'm going to call in the vet again if the swelling does not go down once this hot spell is over. In the meantime does anyone have experience of this?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
A swollen sheath can be a sign of EMS. The lymphatic system becomes sluggish and the liver can’t expel all the toxins which results in the swelling. Exercise is the most effective resolution as it kick starts the metabolism but it is a continuous process. Clover can also be a culprit so check your grazing just in case.

Marigold4

Visit site
A swollen sheath can be a sign of EMS. The lymphatic system becomes sluggish and the liver can’t expel all the toxins which results in the swelling. Exercise is the most effective resolution as it kick starts the metabolism but it is a continuous process. Clover can also be a culprit so check your grazing just in case.

Thank your replying. Vet took bloods and they came back normal. I will double check though. No clover in our field, although bindweed is a problem in places. Horse is not over-weight.

PurBee

Visit site
Wasps are out in huge numbers this year. Ourselves and locals have had some incidents farming disturbing wasps nests - theyre everywhere, even flying in the house regularly. Never known a year like it.
One local farmer was lucky not to get killed after mowing over a wasps nest on land that had a 9 foot drop onto concrete. He was mowing near the edge of the drop when wasps attacked and stung him viciously causing him to lose control of the mower and he fell onto the concrete, breaking many bones. Luckily the tractor didnt land on him. We’ve been attacked too this year. Its truly never like this for wasp numbers.

The other week my gelding was stamping his hind leg, acting weird, and looking at an entrance to a field really strangely, bolting through the gate. That night stamping his hind legs, liked me itching him. Back of fetlock especially…not much muscle there for it to swell.
I couldnt see a biting flying creature but now, today especially, i suspect he got stung by a wasp. The entrance he was weird about - ive been working there today and disturbed a large wasps nest, theyre actually nesting in a cavity in the ground!

So your boy may have been stung by a wasp. The red/brown cotton wool sounds ominous. Wasp stings tend to blow up large and go down in 5 days….longer than any other sting/bite. On the sheath, sensitive and a lot of tissue to swell, could cause some blood to pool, possibly. Keep a close eye, if its not going down at all after a few days get vet back.

Fingers crossed he heals soon.

Marigold4

Visit site
Wasps are out in huge numbers this year. Ourselves and locals have had some incidents farming disturbing wasps nests - theyre everywhere, even flying in the house regularly. Never known a year like it.
One local farmer was lucky not to get killed after mowing over a wasps nest on land that had a 9 foot drop onto concrete. He was mowing near the edge of the drop when wasps attacked and stung him viciously causing him to lose control of the mower and he fell onto the concrete, breaking many bones. Luckily the tractor didnt land on him. We’ve been attacked too this year. Its truly never like this for wasp numbers.

The other week my gelding was stamping his hind leg, acting weird, and looking at an entrance to a field really strangely, bolting through the gate. That night stamping his hind legs, liked me itching him. Back of fetlock especially…not much muscle there for it to swell.
I couldnt see a biting flying creature but now, today especially, i suspect he got stung by a wasp. The entrance he was weird about - ive been working there today and disturbed a large wasps nest, theyre actually nesting in a cavity in the ground!

So your boy may have been stung by a wasp. The red/brown cotton wool sounds ominous. Wasp stings tend to blow up large and go down in 5 days….longer than any other sting/bite. On the sheath, sensitive and a lot of tissue to swell, could cause some blood to pool, possibly. Keep a close eye, if its not going down at all after a few days get vet back.

Fingers crossed he heals soon.

I did originally think it was related to a sting. We have miner/ ground bees that make nests in the grass and he managed to roll on them and get stung on his neck. I thought maybe the swelling on his sheath was a reaction to the stings . That was a good three weeks ago though. Vet gave them ACP and had a good look around. Penis is fine and no bean. I wonder where the bllood is coming from. Could the skin inside the sheath be really sore?

nutjob

Visit site
My horse had a very swollen sheath. It was also very hot to the touch. He is sensitive and allergic to a lot of different things so possibly had been bitten or stung by something. The vet had a good rummage around but couldn't find anything other than the obvious swelling. I hosed it very gently and was advised to walk him as much as possible and it did go down after about a week.

PurBee

Visit site
I did originally think it was related to a sting. We have miner/ ground bees that make nests in the grass and he managed to roll on them and get stung on his neck. I thought maybe the swelling on his sheath was a reaction to the stings . That was a good three weeks ago though. Vet gave them ACP and had a good look around. Penis is fine and no bean. I wonder where the bllood is coming from. Could the skin inside the sheath be really sore?

if youve cleaned more than once with cottonwool and there’s more brown/red every time i would be questioning that…telling the vet and getting another inspection. A vicious bite or sting potentially could cause some bleeding, which i’d expect 1 wash to clean the old blood - but if every clean-out shows blood….id tell the vet.
are you sure its blood and not mud?

Are you able to inspect yourself? If he relaxes and drops you should be able to inspect better. Maybe if he was stung/bitten within the sheath opening you wont see it so well.

If he was stung on sheath, its such soft tissue it would swell up a lot if it was a full wasp sting, and be itchy/uncomfortable.

Julia0803

Visit site
My gelding has a really mucky sheath. Pinky/browny gunk collects in the folds of skin. I think it’s snag/sweat/gunk that then mixes when he gets fly bites up there, giving it the colouring.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
If your boy has been stung he may be kicking his sheath. My sweetitch horse can really do some damage to his front bottom with his back hooves. I slather the Sudocrem on which repels, soothes and heals in equal measure. The ruddy coloured discharge may be the body’s natural reaction to a sting, eg. produce more natural lubricant. As a side note I have been attracting some very tiny but extremely persistent yellow and black jobbies as I go about my chores these last few days. I have no idea what they are or if they sting but I don’t like them.

Marigold4

Visit site
If your boy has been stung he may be kicking his sheath. My sweetitch horse can really do some damage to his front bottom with his back hooves. I slather the Sudocrem on which repels, soothes and heals in equal measure. The ruddy coloured discharge may be the body’s natural reaction to a sting, eg. produce more natural lubricant. As a side note I have been attracting some very tiny but extremely persistent yellow and black jobbies as I go about my chores these last few days. I have no idea what they are or if they sting but I don’t like them.

I'll give the sudocream a go! Thanks