Swollen Sheath

Sarah1

Visit site
Hi everyone, hope you all had a fantastic Christmas!

Sorry if this should be in veterinary, I thought I would get a better response in here...

Brushing my lad yesterday and noticed one side of his sheath is quite swollen & hanging down a bit. He's weeing ok etc and hasn't been off his grub or anything but his ears did go back a bit when I touched it tho he didn't show an extreme reaction as I would have thought he might if it was painful rather than uncomfortable.

I can't feel a lump it's just swollen.

I have the vet coming tomorrow - any ideas what it might be?

Thanks

CNM

Visit site
One of my horses had a swollen sheath, it was a bit smelly too, i gave it a good clean and that seemed to do the trick, he was a bit grumpy when i did it but he was alot happier when it was finished!!

Barneykins

Visit site
My boy had an urinary infection and his sheath was swollen. Is he drinking enough? Does it look really yellow and smell? Try cleaning & keep an eye on things to see if he needs an antibiotic. I always salt to his food at this time of year to keep the waterworks watering
blush.gif
grin.gif

soloequestrian

Visit site
Mine (or rather my horses) was similar a while ago - quite swollen and a little smelly. I had to get him sedated to clean it, but just used plain water and the swelling and smell went away after about a day once it was clean.

Sarah1

Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

He probably does need a clean down there - I tend to leave it alone to be honest but perhaps he needs a bit of help with his personal hygiene, he is a boy after all!

It's not smelly or hot to the touch, just swollen but only on his righthand(or hoof!) side...

Rudey

Visit site
Hope my post doesn't make you go in a blind panic, but I definitely agree with getting the vet to look at him. A gelding at our yard had a swollen sheath, the vet said he was fine, just a little over weight. After a few callouts and no change, the owner got a second opinion from another vets. Turned out to be laminitus. Don't ask me why his sheath was swollen when it was because he had laminitus, all I know is that the Vet said it was a 'sign'.....
confused.gif
hope your boy is alright and turns out in need of just a good wash xx
grin.gif