Sycamore leaves! Seeds who has trees in there field?

Ponies1234

Visit site
Hi all after some advice who has sycamore trees in there fields? I've recently moved fields to only see theres loads sycamore trees in my field! I'm also currently looking elsewhere but having our yard sold & having to move this was only thing came up! There has been horses in these field for 20+years previous renter, I cannot fence off these trees as I'll have no field left there's that many! I've picked up all seedings/leaves etc.. & chopped the trees as high as we can go (unfortunately we're not allowed to cut down as there protected) however our mare we saw eating the leaves off one tree?? Am I just over worrying as y/o says or not I feel I have done everything I can & am checking daily leaves / seeds browln off, are leaves a poisonous as seeds? Worrying about the mare, ice read re Google this has only just become a "worrying thing" past few years & horses in older days used to have them in fields alot any advice will get appriecated Thanks

Oscar

Visit site
This year seems to be super bad for the saplings, it is the saplings in the spring and seeds in autumn that can cause problems I believe. Not all saplings and seeds are toxic only some, so as you say some have trees in or neighbouring their fields for years with no problems. We had two next to my field removed this week as I was too stressed with the worry of it, but it's not a cheap solution but a permanent one at least. If it's a short term thing I would just spend time while poo picking, picking up as many seedlings as you can, I haven't heard the leaves are toxic but could be wrong.

meleeka

Visit site
I'm guessing that's why the field was available. Personally I'd be looking for somewhere else now before the helicopters started coming down again. Nobody knows why some are poisonous and others aren't so there's not a fool proof way of preventing it.

Ponies1234

Visit site
I have been looking & looking for a long time! It took me 2 yrs to the my previous field still looking & praying something will turn up , the mare is going higher than I can reach to eat the leaves grass in field + bale of hay she chooses these? I'm having someone out tomorrow to cut them higher, unfortunately I'm not allowed to remove them as there protected! Just extremely worried as I don want them there but don't have a choice, I'm checking daily for shoots etc.. hopefully something will come up soon

Pen

Visit site
There is testing of samples via the via www.rc.ac.uk for £60, but as pointed out above it would only show if those particular samples were or were not poisonous. I'm considering it myself as our grazing is surrounded by sycamores. We sprayed grazing earlier on which got rid of the seedlings but more are popping up of course. We will also be topping regularly. Between worrying about blasted seedlings and monitoring the laminitis risk app having horses at grass is a bit fraught!

asmp

Visit site
A pony at our yard went down with sycamore poisoning on a field that had been grazed by horses for many years. It was December, pony was young and healthy, stabled at night and there was plenty of grass in the field. He was at the vets for 5 nights and luckily survived. Yard owner has now thankfully cut down all the trees and we pull up saplings as we see them.

It appeared to be just bad luck.

Ponies1234

Visit site
Great news
I'm moving to a new field few days time no sycamore in sight :) super happy & lucky to come across it! Thanks all for your advice