Symptoms of Acorn poisoning - pls help

Stasha22

Visit site
Please can somone tell me what to look out for?

Horses have been stuffing themselves with acorns. Have now fenced the area off but am concerened as obviously they have already consumed some.

My mare appears to be fine other than her wee seems to be rather smelly.

One of the other horses on the yard appears to have been affected, she is generally off colour and did not eat her hay/feed last night. Also had very strong smelling wee and less poos than normal.

I have spoke to my vet and she said not to worry but keep an eye on her. Would be really grateful if someone could tell me what the symptoms are so I know what I am looking for.

Thanks

pottamus

Visit site
I think the symptoms vary from horse to horse but my main thought would be stomach ache...so with the horse that is off colour, just keep an eye and try to encourage her to eat some hay or chaff to nutralise things in her tummy a bit. I don't believe that acorns have a major reaction, unlike yew for example so I am sure they will be fine if not allowed near them again and given other feed. So long as they are pooing and eating they will be fine.

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently there are so many acorns this year they've turned pigs out into the New Forest to eat them all!

[/ QUOTE ]

They turn them out to eat them every year, always entertaining when you met them on a hack!!
shocked.gif

This year they have I believe turned out more than usual due to the number of acrons.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Not sure but profuse diahorrea and a general lethargy seems to be what I recall.
We panicked one year as our water trough was under an oak tree and contaminated, but they didn't show any stmptoms and we quickly moved it.
We have numerous oak trees on the farm and it's impossible to stop them eating if they choose to, we just make sure we provide plenty of haylage and the odd mineral block instead.