Synthetic or Leather Saddle - What are the Pros & Cons?

Joyous70

Visit site
Question as above really, im looking to replace my saddle and need something that will suit me & my youngster, i have only ever had leather saddles in the past, but obviously things have moved on in the last 20 years, so I am considering getting a synthetic for now, and eventually when shes finished growing she can have a grown up saddle

What are the pros and cons of synthetic over leather?

Thanks in advance :)

Shay

Visit site
I'd be interested to follow this. Like you I've always had leather saddles and I have no desire for a synthetic one - but there are lots of converts out there. From pony club tack check experience I find synthetic saddles tend to be stiff and harder to sit on. A leather saddle is more yielding to the posterior; and I presume to the horse underneath. They are also more likely to be ill fitting - but that is pony club and I suspect reflects more on other issues that the saddle itself. On the plus side - for pony club at least - it doesn't need cleaning!

For a youngster the most important thing is probably easy adjustability; through changeable gullets, air flocking or similar. These are available in leather saddles as well as synthetic. I did nearly buy a Wow saddle with air flocking recently - but was persuaded otherwise by my saddler who I trust.

Joyous70

Visit site
Shay - all of your above comments have been what concerns me with synthetic saddles, i was told once by a saddler that synthetic wasn't yielding enough for the horse etc., unfortunately i don't have the funds for a new saddle at the moment, this is why i was considering a synthetic or maybe a 2nd hand leather one, the one i have is adjustable leather beautiful saddle, but doesn't fit me as well as my horse, and im struggling to get my legs in the right place, as there isn't enough panel in front of me to put my knees.

leflynn

Visit site
I've had both and the advantage of a synthetic is that they are usually cheaper to adjust but quicker to grow out of if they change shape drastically. Also lower maintenance and easier to clean, less to worry about (love mine). I also have a leather one now as synthetic no longer fits shape, pros is it is comfier, looks nice, moulds more to horse and the cons, heavier more expensive to adjust, more upkeep (love this one too). Both of mine are GFS and I can't bear to sell my synthetic just in case as it has been wonderful and saved me from great expense while he was growing! My synthetic is the suede type and I am glad I paid a bit more as it looks a bit nicer :)

Alchemy

Visit site
Hi

After riding in leather saddles for many years i recently sold my old albion due to it not fitting correctly because financially i cannot afford a decent leather one even second hand i now have a Thoroughgood T6( bought off a friend who only used handful of times) which is great fits very well, good to adjust i do have a saddler out if needs flocking, looks smart, very comfortable and a good all round saddle due to adjustable knee blocks, and easy to keep clean! Yes i would love a leather saddle but this is as equally as ggod for the time being. Although I am not keen on the Wintec saddles.

Nicnac

Visit site
Same. When I bought my new horse at 4, neither my Albion dressage or Event saddles fitted him so I bought a Wintec Cair GP thinking I'd move onto a 'proper' saddle when he had finished growing. 2 years on I have bought another Albion dressage however have kept the Wintec as it fits him really well having been adjusted twice; is lovely and light on his back; fits me and my daughter; is so easy to keep clean and actually looks rather smart.

If I get round to selling my old saddles (am a sentimental old fool) I may decide to move to a leather event saddle but actually not convinced it would be worth the outlay.....

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
I had a Thorowgood T8 which is the half leather version so it has the look of leather without needing anything like the care. It's lightweight, virtually maintenance free, very comfy (the seat was nice and squidgy) and looked the business. It's also adjustable and only £500 for a brand new one. I wouldn't agree that they're less yielding than leather. I've recently gone to a leather jumping saddle, though would have happily had another Thorowgood if the flaps were forward enough to take my leg).

I wouldn't touch Wintecs with a bargepole though. They're made in Vietnam with the associated lack of quality and craftsmanship.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
i've ridden in both and to be honest dont find much difference etween the ride in a leather or a synthetic. I had a Tekna synthetic saddle for a whle and loved it, everyone thought it was leather too! I currently have a saddle company saddle which is half leather half synthetic so the best of both worlds. I also have a sythetic dressage saddle, great becasue i dont use it very often but dont have to worry about leather going stiff or mouldy, when i want to use it i just wipe it over with a baby wipe and get on!

ironhorse

Visit site
I currently have a Thorowgood T6 - it was purchased for my last horse as she was very difficult to fit and never that happy in any English saddle (American Quarter Horse mainly ridden western. I was very sceptical but it is actually very comfortable and most people think it is leather. It has also fitted my youngster (now six) since he was three with some cheap, quick adjustments by a master saddler who is also a Thorowgood stockist.
It is extremely light and with admittedly limited use has worn well; the smooth material is also surprisingly grippy. I very rarely clean it and I'm a tack cleaning anorak! Downsides are that the flaps can 'stick' to the insides of leather boots when it's hot (ariat bromonts with their suede inners are OK) and that the bottom of the flaps are starting to curl up slightly. I'm now looking for a good second hand leather one because we show at some quite smart shows and I'd like to see if a different saddle would put me in a better position.
My view is that they are an excellent saddle for a youngster or any horse that is going to change shape a lot and very good value for money.

Joyous70

Visit site
I had a Thorowgood T8 which is the half leather version so it has the look of leather without needing anything like the care. It's lightweight, virtually maintenance free, very comfy (the seat was nice and squidgy) and looked the business. It's also adjustable and only £500 for a brand new one. I wouldn't agree that they're less yielding than leather. I've recently gone to a leather jumping saddle, though would have happily had another Thorowgood if the flaps were forward enough to take my leg).

I wouldn't touch Wintecs with a bargepole though. They're made in Vietnam with the associated lack of quality and craftsmanship.

The Thorowgood T8 was the one i was interested in as its the same tree shape as the one i currently have, my local saddler stocks these as well.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've ridden in both, have both in my tackroom, both treeless and leather.

A saddler told me once that the problem with synthetic saddles is that because they're plastic, what can happen is the action of the panel rubbing against the horse, which can produce static electricity and the horse will get an electric shock!!!! Similar to the way that we humans can when the weather is a certain way, and everything you touch you get static from!!!! When she explained this, it did make perfect sense and might explain why certain horses just can't deal with synthetic saddles!!! But presumably one could mitigate this by using a numnah..........

I've got a Freemax synthetic treeless saddle which is made out of drytex; its fantastic, you can go out in it if its chucking it down with rain, and then when you come home you just toss the thing on the rack, simples. The material is lovely and soft, and doesn't feel in any way like a "plastic" saddle.

I've got a Wintec for my cob on the other hand.......... and frankly I hate it!!! Yes its easy to manage, but the plastic feels hard, stiff, and unyielding, and compared with my Freemax, its horrible!!! Also tried a Thorowgood; was the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever sat in, simply because it just didn't fit my cob, so perhaps I'm being unfair about it. I think branded synthetics like Wintec (didn't know they were made in Vietnam:() and Thorowgood have still got a long way to go in making the plastic material more durable and comfortable.

But as anyone who's ever been out riding in the rain with a leather saddle knows, its a right pain in the wotsit when you get home and have to face cleaning the damn thing:( So much easier to chuck a synthetic on the rack.

Nothing IMO beats a lovely long summer ride on a nice comfy leather saddle; with that lovely creaky noise that well-kept leather makes........ contrast that with sitting in a pile of sweat with breeches soaking wet on a hot summer's day! Not any comparison.

I know it sounds extravagant, but I've got two saddles for each horse: one synthetic, one leather. Each horse has a treeless saddle, and a treed one. Well...... you don't have just one pair of shoes do you??? And I haven't spend a fortune either; E-Bay is fantastic for bargains if you're discerning and don't go crazy!!

Last edited:

Joyous70

Visit site
I currently have a Thorowgood T6 - it was purchased for my last horse as she was very difficult to fit and never that happy in any English saddle (American Quarter Horse mainly ridden western. I was very sceptical but it is actually very comfortable and most people think it is leather. It has also fitted my youngster (now six) since he was three with some cheap, quick adjustments by a master saddler who is also a Thorowgood stockist.
It is extremely light and with admittedly limited use has worn well; the smooth material is also surprisingly grippy. I very rarely clean it and I'm a tack cleaning anorak! Downsides are that the flaps can 'stick' to the insides of leather boots when it's hot (ariat bromonts with their suede inners are OK) and that the bottom of the flaps are starting to curl up slightly. I'm now looking for a good second hand leather one because we show at some quite smart shows and I'd like to see if a different saddle would put me in a better position.
My view is that they are an excellent saddle for a youngster or any horse that is going to change shape a lot and very good value for money.

This sounds ideal, i think i might so for a wander over to my stockists at the weekend and have a really good look at them.

Joyous70

Visit site
I've ridden in both, have both in my tackroom, both treeless and leather.

A saddler told me once that the problem with synthetic saddles is that because they're plastic, what can happen is the action of the panel rubbing against the horse, which can produce static electricity and the horse will get an electric shock!!!! Similar to the way that we humans can when the weather is a certain way, and everything you touch you get static from!!!! When she explained this, it did make perfect sense and might explain why certain horses just can't deal with synthetic saddles!!! But presumably one could mitigate this by using a numnah..........

I've got a Freemax synthetic treeless saddle which is made out of drytex; its fantastic, you can go out in it if its chucking it down with rain, and then when you come home you just toss the thing on the rack, simples. The material is lovely and soft, and doesn't feel in any way like a "plastic" saddle.

I've got a Wintec for my cob on the other hand.......... and frankly I hate it!!! Yes its easy to manage, but the plastic feels hard, stiff, and unyielding, and compared with my Freemax, its horrible!!! Also tried a Thorowgood; was the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever sat in, simply because it just didn't fit my cob, so perhaps I'm being unfair about it. I think branded synthetics like Wintec (didn't know they were made in Vietnam:() and Thorowgood have still got a long way to go in making the plastic material more durable and comfortable.

But as anyone who's ever been out riding in the rain with a leather saddle knows, its a right pain in the wotsit when you get home and have to face cleaning the damn thing:( So much easier to chuck a synthetic on the rack.

Nothing IMO beats a lovely long summer ride on a nice comfy leather saddle; with that lovely creaky noise that well-kept leather makes........ contrast that with sitting in a pile of sweat with breeches soaking wet on a hot summer's day! Not any comparison.

I know it sounds extravagant, but I've got two saddles for each horse: one synthetic, one leather. Each horse has a treeless saddle, and a treed one. Well...... you don't have just one pair of shoes do you??? And I haven't spend a fortune either; E-Bay is fantastic for bargains if you're discerning and don't go crazy!!

I would love for her to have a leather eventually, and if we do end up eventing as intend, i would like to have a dressage and a jumping saddle.

i do appreciate what you say about leather being more comfortable in the hotter weather, but also on the upside when its pouring with rain you don't have to worry about your synthetic quite so much.

I suppose if i learn as much about what saddles will suit her, i could eventually buy 2nd hand and get a saddler to fit and re flock as necessary.

ihatework

Visit site
I’ve got 2 synthetics in my tackroom - a wintec Isabelle dressage and a thorowgood T8 jump. Both are perfectly reasonable good value saddles, adjustable gullets, lightweight, low maintenance, cheap.

Are they the equivalent of top brand fancy leather jobs - NO. Are they a sensible choice for horses that are still developing & changing - YES.

Highflinger

Visit site
I never thought I would like synthetic but I have a Wintec and more recently a Thorowgood T8. The Wintec is far, far better than I ever expected and as an everyday hacking saddle I cannot fault it . I often ride it the rain and the saddle is stored in the boot of my car so gets pretty shoddy treatment but is still fine and although a little faded and worn considering I have had it for 16 years ( from new) and use it 4-5 days a week it has been excellent value for money. Clearly it is not as "nice" as leather and not as supple but for me the pros outweigh the cons.

For my new horse I have the Wintec T8 cob - I bought secondhand and again I cannot fault it and I think it is at least as good as a mid range "proper" leather saddle but lighter and so much less maintenance.
Overall I think a good quality Thorowgood T8 is far better than a lower end full leather.

I have never had or ridden on a top of the range leather so could not comment on the higher end!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I ride in a Tekna GP. Bearing in mind I spent over a decade riding in a Wow and have ridden in many other types of synthetics, the Tekna is really comfortable-doesnt feel synthetic at all (much better imo than TGs or Wintecs). It's lightweight, its up to Scottish hacking weather, it fits him and me and easily goes up or down a gullet when needed. I have leather webbers so I still get the creaky :)

SallyBatty

Visit site
I've got the old style Wintec 2000 GP saddle (with suede) which is now 12 years old and a Thorowgood T4 dressage saddle (also with suede) which is about 3 years old now. Love both of them as they are very comfortable, both still look good and they are very light in weight compared to leather saddles. Never had a problem with static but then I do use a pad or numnah underneath.

claracanter

Visit site
My new horse came with a synthetic dressage saddle. I've never ridden in one before. I find it so hot to ride in, unlike leather. It's ok hacking but when I'm having a proper schooling flatwork session it gets almost unbearable. The saddle cloth is completely soaked when we have finished and my knees are also soaked. I know it has been very hot but this never happens with my leather saddle. it is also quite old and is really difficult to make it look clean. Planning on getting a leather one when my bank balance has recovered from purchase of the horse!

xDundryx

Visit site
My younger TB has a wintec lite cair GP that he first got new when he came off the track. The saddler tried several leather saddles none of which he seemed happy in as a last resort she tried this on him and he didn't even react. It's easy to adjust to his ever changing shape so lightweight you can carry it around all day and low maintenance. I ended up getting a second hand Isabell Werth dressage for him at Christmas. We again tried several leather saddles like Albion but they all seemed to catch him behind the shoulder or he was a swishy tailed ears back grump. She had an old wintec Isabell and chucked it on. Hey presto nothing. Ok they don't look fancy and i was a bit of a saddle snob previously but I find them increadibly comfy and so apparently does asbo! ETA my other TB came with a v.expensive Bates VSD which I don't like riding in but can't quite put my finger on why however it fits her to a t x

catkin

Visit site
I have an old Thorogood Griffin which has done stirling service on a young pony. As long as it fits the horse well and you have it regularly checked and reflocked as needed I found it fine, not that much different to ride in to a leather one, though it was properly balanced to allow me to ride in a good position. You need to take as much care in choosing the right girth for them as any other saddle. I used a leather girth and I always used a good quality cotton numnah with it.
The biggest bugbear was the girthstraps - if he was still wearing it I would get them swopped out for leather ones (he's now changed shape and outgrown it so he has a different saddle).
The readily available synthetics come on a small range of trees though, if they fit your horse thats fine and dandy, but for others (here's looking at you large natives :) ) the saddle cannot be adjusted enough to fit and you will need to look elsewhere - which is where I am with my young chap as he's matured.
I am keeping my little old griffin - who knows when it might be useful again.

ponies4ever

Visit site
I have a thorowgood t6 cob dr and a thorowgood t8 high whither gp (different horses obviously!) I like both although I would say I prefer leather as I find it moulds to you better plus I'm a weirdo who likes tack cleaning. I would have more as for the price the little details can be ignored but if price wasn't a bother then I'd have leather.