syringe calmers - Oxyshot & Mark Todd not available, what else?

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I give my Welsh D a dose of on-the-day calmer before a couple of really big buzzy events each year, eg Great Yorkshire Show.

Last year I used Oxyshot which worked fine at just taking the edge off, but I've just discovered that they aren't manufacturing it at the moment and everywhere is out of stock (whatever their website might say - I've checked!).

I've heard great things about the Mark Todd calmer from showing people but I can't find that anywhere either and I tried a syringe of Magic once when he was furious about sudden box rest and it made no difference.

Any suggestions please? He goes on a low dose of Magic power for the whole Summer which does makes a small but noticeable difference day-to-day but for the really big events I'd like something else up my sleeve.

stilltrying

Visit site
I've used sokalm before and it did defo just take the edge off. I found it was the only one that made a difference. Stopped him shouting at the opposition. : )

Visit site
I have tried just about every syringe calmer on the market for my tb and not one of them touched the sides of him. I've not heard of the Mark Todd one?

I have a spare tube of a Supreme Products Defuse one that I bought 2 of and never used if anyone wants it to try out.

The Equine America SoKalm used to work before they took the valerian out of it.

shadowboy

Visit site
I now use EQ confidence (I won some off their Facebook page) they worked well. You don't feed it, simply rub the gel into the nostrils.

Puppy

Visit site
Have you tried Prokalm?

I used it when I first started ridden work with a horse who had been on boxrest for months and months, and it certainly helped take the edge off her (she's a sharp horse anyway!)

applecart14

Visit site
I rate Magic calmer. I put my horse on the supplement and he's been a different horse. He went on it a fortnight before moving yards (this was just co-incidence and nothing to do with his moving) and whereas every other hack involved at least one session of snorting and spinning 180 degrees he has spun with me all but a handful of times in the 9 months that we have moved.

I could put it down to the different yard, or even the different hacking (seeing 1 car in an hour rather than 101) but when I tried to cut down on the calmer over a eight day period - he ended up spinning and snorting out on a familiar hack, so the proof is in the pudding and I won't be taking him off it anytime soon!

I've not tried the syringe only the supplement. I would give it another go and see how you get on, maybe nothing would have calmed him with the box rest.

JustKickOn

Visit site
I've had good results with the magic ones, but it has been quite inconsistent with the effect it has. The Feedmark ones are good, but pricey..

Mike007

Visit site
Seriously,do you honestly believe that a squirt of plain old water calms a horse,because that is all oxyshot is. It is a con. . I do believe however that any old water squirted into a horses dry mouth ,before a race/competition /etc,will help a horse relax a little. We have been doing this with racehorses for generations.

old hand

Visit site
Pax definitely. use it at home and he will follow you. Old remedy but works in nearly all circumstances, when it doesn't work there is usually pain involved. Once he will follow you at home he will follow you at events. you put it on your hands and then wipe on your brow. have a word with horse, and hey presto, he will contain himself. Bottle lasts forever.