tack cleaning

lovecharles

Visit site
I was just thinking, i'm polishing up my tack now ready for stressage later (HHO good luck vibes :p) and was wondering how you lot look after tack.

i'm awful. only cleaned for shows
blush.gif
or if it gets really ditched galloping on hacks and stuff. however, it is put in covers and hung on a proper saddle and bridle rack, and my numnah is left to air and is washed regularly.

BUT couldn't believe it when a friend said she only washed her bit before a show :O
is that not GROSS? I clean the bit every time it comes out his gob. It gets all grassy, so cant imagine the state after a few weeks
crazy.gif

Foxyeventing

Visit site
Me Too,, i might clean my girth when it gets a bit bad, but for obvious reasons, but yes bit every ride!!, good luck later...

Michelle73

Visit site
I clean my tack once a month to six weeks and I use choa-cha-line - SP???? so if it gets wet I know there's no immediate hurry but usually clean it within 48hrs if its got wet. I clean my bit every time I ride and change my numnah more often than I clean my tack! But I do find tack cleaning relaxing and rewarding! I would clean it more often if I had the time!! I like to strip down the tack everytime I clean it rather than giving a quick whipe over. My 19 year old saddle passed for a 6 year old saddle it was so well looked after!!! I'm obssessive about my tack, no one else is allowed to breath on it let alone touch it!!! **Scurrying off to hide with embarassment now!!!**

Foxyeventing

Visit site
Hear hear i agree, no one else is allowed to go any where near my tack, i am like the saddle queen they are all very very special to me, and since most of the horses compete fortnightly it gets very well looked after, so i suppose it depends on how much competing you do, if you only go out once in a blue moon, my tack would be cleaned as yours michelle73, every month to 6 weeks. And if it rains i practically cry, i hate my saddle getting wet!!! hehe, silly us horse lovers

Michelle73

Visit site
I ride 4 to 6 times a week but choa-cha-line means that I don't have to worship my saddle as I would with saddle soap!!! I get to have a life with choa-cha-line - but maybe I need to go and look at the tin and memorise how to spell it!!!!! LOL!!! No competing at the mo, only just got transport and not sure I can be bothered to compete, just want to do lots of fun rides with optional jumps!!! Used to compete when I was growing up - showing at county show level - just can't be bothered any more!!!

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
I am a lazy moo and I certainly don't compete in any discipline. So, Wintec saddles, biothane Dr Cook. All synthetic and bitless!
Today I washed three girths, one saddle cloth, one numnah, one gel pad and a set of neoprene boots. These things are done about once a week (ride aboout 3 times a week). I think I've cleaned my saddle twice since I've owned i!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We have 2 horses & they are ridden 6 days a week & normally competed at weekends. Their tack is cleaned about twice a week, bit cleaned after every use. We find that doing this the tack stays in great condition, it doesn't take long (done on lap whilst watching TV) & with the price it is it pays to look after it.

Using this regime both horse & rider always look immaculate when either just schooling, hacking or at a competition.
wink.gif

D

Donkeymad

Can I just point out that Ko Cho Line is not meant to be used for tack cleaning, just for tack storage.
My bits get cleaned immediately they come out of the mouth every time. tack, if and when.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
The bits get dunked in a bucket of water when they come out of horse's mouth, the tack gets cleaned whenever I feel like it, which means that either before a show or when it gets manky...
I have a huge selection of pads and numnahs though
blush.gif

Michelle73

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can I just point out that Ko Cho Line is not meant to be used for tack cleaning, just for tack storage.
My bits get cleaned immediately they come out of the mouth every time. tack, if and when.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats true but my Master Saddler is most impressed with the condition of my tack. As previously stated, a 19yr old saddle was thought to be just 6yrs old because of its fantastic condition all down to Ko Cho Line - thanks for the correct spelling
grin.gif
Oh and my bridle is just over 20 years old and still going strong
grin.gif