Tack for 18hh horse?

ruthsimms

Visit site
We're very excited to have a new addition to our family! He's 18hh and although we've found rugs and headcollars that fit him we're struggling with bridles!

Have tried Collegiate extra full/warmblood but that proved to be too small. The noseband wasn't low enough and the browband wasn't long enough.

He's a Gernan warmblood so we thought one of the German or Swiss makes might be better. Has anyone any recommendations or websites that stock tack for the larger horse?!

ruthsimms

Visit site
Can't get the saddler over until beginning of May. We may just carry on with the 'put together' bridle we're borrowing at the moment. I was just interested to know if there are any brands out there like Stubben that would be appropriate.

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
my friend managed to get one from Robinsons. i know in store they now stock a lot of X-full. for my hugeee retired beastiii i just have a cheap horseworks one - thats an X-full and had to have a few extra holes put in - she only has it for being led around in if shes in one of those 'moods' so it doesnt matter much.

what size rugs is he in? we really struggle as 7'6 isnt big enough for her!

good luck in your search and congrats on the new addition!

Happytohack

Visit site
I managed to get one made by Hydrophane. All the ones on ebay for XF warmbloods were far too small. I also had one made for my other biggie. Pictures please of your
new one.

ruthsimms

Visit site
Thanks luckilotti! I've always steered away from Robinsons since someone told me that their own brand was a bit iffy.

A 7' rug fits him fine, which I was quite surprised about. He's just got a big head!

Had a look on ebay Ash. There's a few on there, just a bit dubious buying if I can't return it. Still, I shall keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for that.

Cheers Jay. I need to find somewhere to host images...watch this space.

apkelly01

Visit site
I know where you're coming from, my girlie's only 16.2 and she has to wear an X-Full bridle. Not a lot of places stock that size of bridle, but stubbens do do a nice x-full bridle.

I would love to get a bridle with brass buckles, but still haven't found one in x-full and having one made is too expensive
frown.gif

If you are buying from ebay ask the seller to measure the noseband and browband for you, just to make sure it will fit. I think the browband should be 19'' and the noseband 30''

Have you any pictures of your boy, I'd love to see an 18hh horse
grin.gif

Marnie

Visit site
My mare is only 16.2 but has a big head. I have found that Keiffer bridles fit her in x full. Maybe worth a look.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks luckilotti! I've always steered away from Robinsons since someone told me that their own brand was a bit iffy.

A 7' rug fits him fine, which I was quite surprised about. He's just got a big head!

Had a look on ebay Ash. There's a few on there, just a bit dubious buying if I can't return it. Still, I shall keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for that.

Cheers Jay. I need to find somewhere to host images...watch this space.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that Robinsons own make of rugs, Requisite (sp?) are actually Weatherbeeta so should be fine, I stand to be corrected on that though. I have ordered loads from Robinsons and never had any probs with anything from them.

You can you Photobuckets for hosting pics, thats who most people use on here I think. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your big boy
grin.gif

moodymare1987

Visit site
Just remembered I got a nice bridle of ebay for my first pony a 14.2 it was her show bridle. I sold her but kept it and it fitted ben I just had to put an extra hole in the cheek pieces and it was fine, It was cob size bridle I was surprised it fit him to be honest from 14.2 to 17.2 not bad really.

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
Rheingold comfort bridles come up big. I got an extra full for my 16.3hh TBxID, who has a big head, and it's too big. They're nice bridles too, with padding round noseband and poll, and are reasonably priced. As it happens, I'm selling mine - I can give you measurements if you're interested!!

LizzieJ

Visit site
My 17.2hh has a sabre cordoba in x-full and I had to have the noseband made smaller! never had to do that before! It also has brass buckles so it is possible and sabre will custom make one for you at same price.

htobago

Visit site
It really might be worth getting one made. I had one made recently for my Arab (small, short head, wide forehead, v small muzzle, etc.) and it fits beautifully - didn't cost all that much more than a ready-made one and you can specify exactly what you want.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
My lad who is a Clydesdale cross and is a very chunky 16.3 is in extra full bridles, xxwide saddle and 7 foot rugs.
Virtually everything I have bought for him has been from Ebay.
I have bought a few new bridles at cheapish prices and if I find they don't fit I just sell them back on.
I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the horse, if you're fussy and want everything new.
I'm not that bothered to be perfectly honest and have found some real secondhand bargains on there which will probably outlive some of the makes even if they are new anyway.
He takes 6.5 inch and both were bought off ebay. One was secondhand, a kangaroo bit which promotes salivation for £4.70 including postage and was in excellent nick and the other was brand new with tags and was a stainless steel loose ring snaffle for just a tenner.
I suppose it depends on what you hoping to buy really. If is just for hacking etc then there is no need to go to great expense for extra full bridles but if you are planning on showing etc then paying a bit more does help.
I would agree about having the sellers measure parts of the bridle though especially if you are paying a lot and cannot return. I agree that the noseband and browband are important parts but also having the headpiece size as well could help.
I found these on the Jeffries website 2 years ago and use these as guidelines for my bridles and when making them up as they have measurements from shetland to extra full. I think it is for their standard hunter bridles if I remember correctly.
For the noseband ( the part that threads through headpiece) it should be 34 inches ( all measurements are for Jeffries ). The part that fastebs around the nose should be 31 inches.
Cheekpieces should be 12 inches
The browband is 16 1/2 inches ( obviously this can be larger in some bridle makes and some horses do have larger heads. My lad has a very, very large head but his browband is around this size to 17 inches).
As for the headpiece, the part that goes around the poll, and the longest part of the leather ( which also has a buckle on one end) should be 50 inches. The smaller part of the headpiece ( where there is no buckle) should be 34 inches.
Obviously this is true for Jeffries bridles but having bought and sold a few bridles on Ebay I have found the measurements comparable to other makes and even nameless or cheaper varities. The only exception being in the case of flash, grackle or drop type nosebands in which the hunter measurements cannot apply.
I hope that helps somewhat? Just trying to offer a bit on information which may prove useful. In any case you could always get your saddler to make a bridle up for you or buy parts separately and make up your own as that is what I have done with one of his bridles.
Cazx

Fantasy_World

Visit site
My lad who is a Clydesdale cross and is a very chunky 16.3 is in extra full bridles, xxwide saddle and 7 foot rugs.
Virtually everything I have bought for him has been from Ebay.
I have bought a few new bridles at cheapish prices and if I find they don't fit I just sell them back on.
I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the horse, if you're fussy and want everything new.
I'm not that bothered to be perfectly honest and have found some real secondhand bargains on there which will probably outlive some of the makes even if they are new anyway.
He takes 6.5 inch bit and both were bought off ebay. One was secondhand, a kangaroo bit which promotes salivation for £4.70 including postage and was in excellent nick and the other was brand new with tags and was a stainless steel loose ring snaffle for just a tenner.
I suppose it depends on what you are hoping to buy really. If is just for hacking etc then there is no need to go to great expense for extra full bridles but if you are planning on showing etc then paying a bit more does help.
I would agree about having the sellers measure parts of the bridle though especially if you are paying a lot and cannot return. I agree that the noseband and browband are important parts but also having the headpiece size as well could help.
I found these on the Jeffries website 2 years ago and use these as guidelines for my bridles and when making them up as they have measurements from shetland to extra full. I think it is for their standard hunter bridles if I remember correctly.
For the noseband ( the part that threads through headpiece) it should be 34 inches ( all measurements are for Jeffries ). The part that fastens around the nose should be 31 inches.
Cheekpieces should be 12 inches
The browband is 16 1/2 inches ( obviously this can be larger in some bridle makes and some horses do have larger heads. My lad has a very, very large head but his browband is around this size to 17 inches).
As for the headpiece, the part that goes around the poll, and the longest part of the leather ( which also has a buckle on one end) should be 50 inches. The smaller part of the headpiece ( where there is no buckle) should be 34 inches.
Obviously this is true for Jeffries bridles but having bought and sold a few bridles on Ebay I have found the measurements comparable to other makes and even nameless or cheaper varities. The only exception being in the case of flash, grackle or drop type nosebands in which the hunter measurements cannot apply.
I hope that helps somewhat? Just trying to offer a bit of information which may prove useful. In any case you could always get your saddler to make a bridle up for you or buy parts separately and make up your own as that is what I have done with one of his bridles.
Cazx

ruthsimms

Visit site
Wow - loads of replies! Thanks guys!

Thanks for that akelly - I think we will be giving Stubben a go.

Marnie, is Keiffer a British make? It doesn't sound like it so apologies if this is a thick question! Someone suggested to us that a foreign make may be better as he's a German warmblood.

That's always the way isn't it Tricksy? Own brands are normally made by some big brand, like Sainsbury's coffee made by kenco or something!

I didn't realise EC made tack Charlotten.

That was lucky Vicky. I'm still a bit 'funny' about buying off ebay though, but it could prove useful to get measurements before buying.

What colour is your bridle Prilly?

I found Sabre Cordoba online - their hunter snaffle may well be suitable and it's not a bad price either. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wow, thanks for all the info cazee! I don't think we're too fussy about where we get stuff, it's more about ease of finding it! Sometimes I hate trawling through ebay trying to find something.