tack hoarding opinions needed

Firefly9410

Visit site
I had building work done this week and I had to clear a room. It made me realise just how much tack and rugs and stuff I have accumulated over the years. I am not a hoarding sort of person except when it comes to horse things it seems! I am now thinking of selling some but cannot decide what. So what do you all keep and sell?

I am torn between what stays and what goes because I do not have anything obviously useless to me. I have things which do not fit current horses, but are things I like using for example favourite saddles or unusual design rugs, good quality things which would be sold at a loss and who knows what horses I might own in the future that these things might fit? I have things that fit current horses really well but which I do not like for example uncomfortable saddle and bridles which do not suit the horses looks. Then there are the things I dislike purely because they are pink! Some items came with a horse I bought and would need replacing if I get rid of them. Help me decide what to keep or sell please!

Firefly9410

Visit site
Haha! You are not a pink person either then. I have to admit every time I look at it I am mildly irritated and have to tell myself not to be so silly. A brush is a brush, right?!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I'm afraid I can't help you there I still have stuff including a Lavenham rug from my pony 30 odd years ago :eek:

I keep thinking about selling stuff but have never managed it.

Greylegs

Visit site
Get rid of anything you haven't actually used for a specific period, say 2 years ... You're right when you say you don't know where life will take you in the future, but if we all kept everything we ever owned, just because, at some point we may have a use for it, we'd all be bogged down with old/useless/ surplus/un-necessary stuff. All saddles/bridles/rugs which don't fit on current horse or one due to arrive imminently (i.e. - this week!) should go.

.... right .... off to fight through my own hoard to find travel boots and a tail guard for tomorrow's outing ..... I know they're in there somewhere.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
No, you have to hoard stuff!:D You never know when you may need it. :)

Really though, I do need to have a sort out. I did chuck out some stuff recently. I wouldn't have pink anywhere in my collection!

Sometimes charities ask for donations for things. I would like to put a bag aside for this purpose. Sorry to hi-jack thread but does anyone know of anyone going abroad who needs items etc?

Merlin11

Visit site
I just sold a load of rugs that I hadn't used for years at a knock down price. It still felt strange though as I am a bit of a hoarder. They belonged to a horse who has passed away and new horse is smaller. It was a bit emotional tbh but think it was the right thing as they were just gathering dust and young neighbour with new horse is delighted. Spent the money on new items for the dog which made me feel a bit better.

aintgotnohay

Visit site
get rid of everything that does not fit your current equine (s).put on ebay or sell at a car boot or whatever.hoarding is dangerous lol.then when u have done that put all the money in a horsey account and save in case u defo need something new for your current equine.what haves and maybes do not apply.live in the present not the past or future.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If you don't need the money and it's not going manky sitting doing nothing just keep it.

I was just thinking should I sell a well used but still waterproof and sound Rambo I've got as it doesn't fit any of my horses. Then I thought well I would only get about 20 quid and if I managed to find another welsh D I like then it will probably fit it. So then I decided just to keep it lol

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I used to sell stuff I didn't use, but have usually regretted it later when I needed it for a new horse. Nowadays the flimsy quality of new horsewear and equipment compared to even 10 years ago, means that its worth hanging on to good stuff just in case. I do give things away to good homes, but never sell anything now. My long suffering OH puts up with large volumes of stored tack.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
After trying to sell good stuff, and bits and pieces on preloved, I put my leather harness and other bits and pieces in to large box and took it to the NFU who will give it to Gambia Horse and Donkey Charity.
I still have my saddle, one lunge rein, pink lunge whip, and a few girths., my stirrups, leathers,, a high viz sheet, my own boots and hats. When will I ever stop wanting to have a nice new pony? All this stuff will fit a 14.3 to 15.00 hh dark bay gelding :)

Last edited:

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I'm afraid I can't help you there I still have stuff including a Lavenham rug from my pony 30 odd years ago :eek:

I keep thinking about selling stuff but have never managed it.

Like you I still have my first pony's jute rug and circingle, saddle, bridle and all her rugs and bandages. They are over 30 years old but I think they cost nothing to keep and they are more important to me than any money I would get for them now. I also kept my mare's first head collar from when she was a foal, she us now rising 22, glad I did as it now fits my miniature. I keep everything in a cupboard in the spare bedroom. So OP no good asking me really as I would just keep it all.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I bought my first horse in 1971, purchased a hunter bridle and saddle, the bridle went to Gambian ponies this year. No one would buy it as it looks "old" but all handmade english leather.
My first saddle was given away with my first hunter when he retired to exercise beagles [horse and saddle £100]
My second saddle purchased 1973 went in the dustbin a few years ago as it had a nail sticking out, to be honest it was a great saddle, and I should have taken it for repair, but it was pretty tatty.
This reminds me, it is probably time to clean and oil all my tack, on the living room carpet, am I the only one who does this? [reminds me of hunting days]

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I threw away a jute rug, roller and a woollen blanket as they were "old fashioned" I remember the woollen blanket as it was on offcut from an Antartic expedition, pure wool and about one inch thick. At the time I had heating problems in my flat, my horse had a cosy stable, so I slept under these blankets all winter.

honetpot

Visit site
When my children were small I sold all my horse stuff only to have to buy more when they got their horses. Wouldn't have minded but I sold my stuff for a pittance and the new tack was not as well made.
I have four computer crates full of rugs and tack, five saddles, which I will hang onto as long as I have space to store them as they are all good quality and would cost thousands to replace. Now all the bits of tatty headcollar and rope that I hang on to, that's a different matter.

pennyturner

Visit site
I would help, OP, but I am quite the wrong person to ask. I just love having old stuff. Last count, I had 25-30 saddle-like items (including pony pads, military, western, pack and cub). Even the stuff in every day use is elderly.

Every time I think I've got too many, some of which are surely no use, I organise them, which makes me feel content for some reason.
I get kicks out of fixing up old things. They're old, tatty, broken... and I love them.

Today one of my sharers brought a new headcollar for one of my youngsters, to replace the one I was using - 40 year old, which used to belong to her childhood pony. How do I explain that every time I touch that old headcollar, I remember her old pony; seeing him when we first decided to live here, and remember where he is buried in her mum's paddock. Old stuff has a story.

D66

Visit site
thing is, unless you have a cupboard to put it in you will spend time moving the stuff and moving it back again, the mice will eat some, .....and wee on other bits, and then when you need the item again it will be the wrong size or too tatty to wear in public. Saddles do "go off", if not used for years.

Unless it is a classic and really good quality - chuck it. Enjoy the space it frees up, and buy another in 15 years time.

I kept my first horse's bridle for 20 odd years. My daughter lent the reins to someone at PC camp - never saw them again, the nose band evaporated (I think), and we use what's left as a lunging bridle. Ho, hum.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We rarely throw anything equine related away, have all but one of the saddles we have ever had, and we only sold that one because we knew someone who needed that shape. Sister is currently riding her draught mare in a saddle that came second hand with a horse we bought about 25 years ago she did wear a newer one, bought new over 20 years ago for a coloured cob :D

Firefly9410

Visit site
Thank you all for your comments :) It is so hard to know what to do.

MerrySherryRider I too have sold things in the past and ended up buying similar again a few years later. I completely identify with all those who like to keep everything forever, just in case it comes in useful. And I have noticed, like a few of you have, that new things just are not the same quality as the old. I own some tack that is older than I am because it was cheaper and better quality than a lot of newer tack.

Pennyturner I have come to appreciate the history behind old stuff and I like having it around, that is half the problem. Hope you can sort out the situation with the headcollar.

I think I might start my clearout with the more modern things which are poorer quality. Mice are not a problem it is all kept at home but even with central heating the poorer quality leather goes mouldy regularly. I will not miss cleaning that. The pink stuff has to go too, I think.

I like the idea of giving anything I cannot sell for a reasonable price to charity too. Thanks for that idea Bonkers2. You are not alone in your tack cleaning habits either, it is lovely to have my own place and no parents moaning at me about the potential for spilled oil on the carpet.

YorksG I would love to know how you store your saddles. I find metal saddle racks cause damage to the flocking if a saddle is left sitting unused for too long, but my current method of storing as a jumbled heap in the corner does not really work either!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The very old ones rest over a wooden partition (ex pig sty). The others tend to have the least important directly on a metal saddle stand, with others stacked on top.A free standing towel rack was also pressed into service :)

canteron

Visit site
I had a similar problem and decided to sell everything and only have a few good quality things, works for me. There is a local tack shop that takes in 2nd hand stuff, seemed the obvious solution to me and I got about £400 (plus a further £400 for a saddle from the saddler). I now have albion saddles, premier equine pads, fairfax girths, etc, etc. No tat. Feels great!

Pennythetank

Visit site
Personally I would keep anything that is good quality leather and in good condition I.e. saddles and bridles, and bits (I always seem to collect bits 😆) headcollars, brushes etc can all be purchased cheaply again if necessary.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
I had building work done this week and I had to clear a room. It made me realise just how much tack and rugs and stuff I have accumulated over the years. I am not a hoarding sort of person except when it comes to horse things it seems! I am now thinking of selling some but cannot decide what. So what do you all keep and sell?

I am torn between what stays and what goes because I do not have anything obviously useless to me. I have things which do not fit current horses, but are things I like using for example favourite saddles or unusual design rugs, good quality things which would be sold at a loss and who knows what horses I might own in the future that these things might fit? I have things that fit current horses really well but which I do not like for example uncomfortable saddle and bridles which do not suit the horses looks. Then there are the things I dislike purely because they are pink! Some items came with a horse I bought and would need replacing if I get rid of them. Help me decide what to keep or sell please!

I sold what I thought was going to be my last ever horse 8 years ago and gave away or sold thousands of pounds of hoarded tack rugs and equipment.
I lasted 6 months without a horse and everyday regret what I got rid of it breaks my heart when I think about what I let go. Never mind having to buy it all again.
My best piece of advice don't get rid of anything you'll regret it!!!!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
What's the point of keeping old stuff rotting in a shed or room...it stops you buying new stuff! ;)

I had a big clear out a few years ago, stuck everything on eBay in the summer hols. Some stuff sold for less then I thought, some stuff sold for a lot more then I thought. I sold stuff I had not used for ages and did not fit my current friends. I made quite a bit of money to invest in new stuff for my baby horse. It worked for me. I kept a keep sake from my old horses but got rid of everything else, I have missed nothing.

CBAnglo

Visit site
I had a serious rug habit and had over 200 rugs for my two horses. I realized how stupid this was (the lack of space alone was getting a bit of a nightmare) and so I have sold about 50 rugs (both new and second hand) and now they only have 1 of everything (and I have 3 horses now so they share everything).

I still have to sell another 20 rugs (how many fleeces does one horse need? apparently not 8 each ...!) and I have to say, the extra space is liberating.

On the saddle front, I dislike old saddles which have small hard panels and I would sell any of those if possibe. I have actually managed to sell all of my "spare" ones (had about 5 extra ones knocking around). I am just contemplating how many bridles one horse actually needs ... and what exactly constitutes an excessive number of saddle pads?

Firefly9410

Visit site
CBAnglo that makes me feel better! I have nowhere near 200 rugs. That is some serious hoarding. I do have more rugs than one old horse will need in his lifetime though.

Thanks YorksG I was hoping you would have some sort of miraculous tidy solution. Never mind, I have seen a saddle rack that looks like half a barrel so I could stack them all without damaging the bottom one. I will get one of those.

Archangel

Visit site

Me too - mine is a Lavenham Cosy and just so smart. The only thing I found was the surcingles undid themselves overnight. It is in a bag safely packed away ready for my next horse (doesn't fit the 2 I have at the moment).

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I used to be a saddle cloth collector. Last year I had a good clear out and sold loads of them, leaving me with just 3 per pony. Then I took on a sharer who was also a saddle cloth collector. She has bought my mare about 4, I have bought a couple more for my gelding and mummy Santa bought them both one for Christmas too, and I bought a sheepskin half pad. So now I have loads again!!