Tack room heater?

Hackback

Visit site
I have this idea that when we get our stables (timber) built - eventually, when the company we are using can get the supplies - I will move my desk into the tack room and work from there instead of the corner of our living room. Most of the tack will be in the house anyway for security.

So I would need a heater in winter - I thought it might also help to dry rugs if the tack room was quite warm.

Does this sound a realistic idea? And what type of heater would be best? There will be electricity installed but I'm thinking a calor gas heater might be cheaper. Don't want something that's going to make the whole space too warm and airless, just warm it through a bit ?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Calor gas will be effective for warmth but cause a fair amount of condensation.
Space heaters do a good job but you'll need decent ventilation with one.
As others mention, it will need good insulation on all sides, floor and ceiling.

dorsetladette

Visit site
You'll need to insulate the floor too. The cold really comes up through concrete in the winter and you risk having feet and fingers like blocks of ice. We have a calor heater in our feed room but I'm paranoid about leaving it on.

Also sat in a room full of damp rugs is going to get a bit stinky. I love the smell of my horse but his smelly rugs are something else.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I use an oil-filled thermostatic electric radiator in my tack room which keeps it at just below 60F/15c I also have a small fan to circulate the warm air. However my tack room is small 12'x7' approx. Certainly no room for a desk and as others have said Calor heaters spit out condensation which would not be good for any tack/rugs stored there.

Hackback

Visit site
Ok thanks all. Doesn't really sound like a very good plan then, better to keep office and tack/rugs separate probably. I still want my office on the yard though. Might have to revert back to plan A of putting up a shed, together with good insulation, Kingspan sounds ideal. Will look at oil filled heaters too, hadn't considered them as an option.

D66

Visit site
A container will need insulation too.
Have a look at garden rooms - there’s lots about these days. If youre going to spend your working day in there and you want to be comfortable and safe you need a higher standard of insulation and building regs with the correct membranes in the correct place to prevent the structure being destroyed by damp as well as safe electrics.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I had a shepherd’s hut at my yard in Devon. I would light a fire in the stove when I got there in the morning and by the time I had fed, turned out and mucked out it was toasty warm for changing into my office clothes. It was insulated with wool.

rextherobber

Visit site
I had a shepherd’s hut at my yard in Devon. I would light a fire in the stove when I got there in the morning and by the time I had fed, turned out and mucked out it was toasty warm for changing into my office clothes. It was insulated with wool.
Oh, this sounds wonderful ! You could sleep there in the summer and get up really early to ride...

Esmae

Visit site
We put a timber room in our yard. Insulated it within and inch of it's life on every side and the roof and floor. Double glazed windows as well. We use a calor gas heater and it is as warm as toast in about 5 minutes and stays warm for hours once heated through. I'd live in it if I could.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
In our school, with Covid, we needed more space that was separate. We bought a garden room for interventions. I was dubious that it would be warm enough in winter, but when it came the windows were double glazed, it was fitted with 2 electric wall heaters, and it is great!

The front has French doors, the side has one window. When the sun comes out, it is a really bright and warm area. I think the floors and roof area was insulated, but the sides just look like wood. It is substantial wood though, not shiplap.

Hackback

Visit site
That sounds wonderful. I looked at shepherd's huts and garden rooms but they are very expensive. My original plan of spending a couple of hundred quid possibly on a decent heater for the tack room has now got massively out of hand! ?