Tack Room Heaters

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Hi folks,

I have an old brick outbuilding next to the house that is boarded out and used as a tack room. Every year at this time of year we start to suffer with mould growth on the tack (especially tack that isnt used).

Anyway, i have just been reading someones post about using Milton Sterilising Fluid to clean off the mould so I am going to give all the stuff a good clean tomorrow using this method but was thinking in investing in some kind of thermostat controlled heater for in there to see if that helps the problem. We have electric in there so a plug in one would not be a problem.

So, have any of you got one of these heaters and if so, what have you got and do they do the trick?

Thanks loads in advance.

Luv Jayne xx

MileyMouse

Visit site
I have got one of these in my tackroom:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4150475/Trail/searchtext>OIL+HEATER.htm

There are no hot 'burny' bits for things to fall onto and catch fire (i was always paranoid about that happening!)

I also plug mine into a timer so its not on constantly i.e one hour on, one hour off and so on (some heaters also have timer built in, but it depends on how much you want to pay!)

I also get no mouldy tack!

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Ooh thanks Mileymouse and Kerilli, I like the look of that argos one, that looks exactly what i'm after, so if I say have it set for an hour on and hour off, that should do the trick. Hubby has used his greenhouse heater in there before but it didnt really kick out that much heat to make a great deal of difference, but thanks to you too for that suggestion.

I'm gonna sound really thick now so sorry, haha, but what exactly is an oil filled heater? Is the actual heater filled with oil that heats up by electric when its plugged in? I presume this would be better than just a plain electric type heater?

Thanks again me dears.

Luv Jayne xx

Kat

Visit site
all electric plug in heaters are the same efficiency wise they differ depending upon how you want to use them.

A fan heater is good for instant directional heat, but you have to be careful the air vent doesn't get covered. An oil filled radiator is good for sustained slow background heat. Panel heaters are similar. Avoid Halogen heaters as they waste energy as light.

Don't bother with a timer, just buy a heater that has a thermostat and set it down on the lowest setting and it will cycle on and off on the thermostat anyway.

Maizy

Visit site
Your tack room sounds like my bedroom! A single bricked outbuilding, which has been converted into a bedroom. It certainly wouldn't pass building regs if it was done today, and it's not that warm at all - a lean to roof and no central heating
frown.gif
I'm sat here sniffling...

My walls are so damp, and I have condensation running down them. It doesn't help that I sleep in there, as all my breathing adds moisture to the air. I have an oil filled rad (expensive to run), a bigger one than the Argos one listed. Whilst it helps, my spare saddle which I also keep in my bedroom is mouldy...along with all my leather belts...some bit's of wood have also got mould on them. Not good I know - both for my health and my sanity. I'm trying to tackle it.

Here some of my advice I should also be following:

Your tack room needs to be better ventilated, you could try fitting one of these: (about £100 I think, you'll need a sparky to install)

http://www.applied-energy.com/en/xpelair/products/range/1606

Cheap option - leave the door and any windows open as much as you can to circulate the air.

You also need to heat the room, as the others have said. Keep any wet rugs out of the room if you can, they will only add to the problems and also put lids on any buckets of sugar beet you may have soaking? Not sure if you keep feed in there as well
Do you have any insulation? It might be worth up grading this too.

Are any gutters leaking or tiles slipped, that are adding to the water penetration? If so this needs addressing ASAP.

Hope this helps –

With love from a sado training to be a Chartered Surveyor!

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Hi Maizy,

Thanks for your detailed reply, we keep the air circulating as there is a window open 24/7 (top opening light and the window has steel bars fitted for security!), I think its heat we need now but hubby (who incidently is a qualified saddo chartered surveyor!!!!) has been too tight to allow a heater in there but i'm afraid after seeing how the tack has deteriorated in the last fortnight, we are getting heat, end of, haha!!!

How far along are you with your training? how are you finding it hun? Feel free to PM me if youd rather, or hubby is meandthemince on here, he'd be more than happy to help you with any advice etc, he's been qualified for 33 years and thinks there's a distinct lack of new blood coming into the profession!!

Thanks again,

Luv Jayne xx

Maizy

Visit site
Hi Jayne

It sounds like i'm teaching you how to suck eggs then!!

I hope to sit for my final assessment either next Nov or May 2011. My APC is going well so far, a hard slog but I have really good bunch of people to help me along. My boss is very APC orientated and I really LOVE my job, even spending 2 hours up a cherry picker over a warehouse roof - like I did today!

Plus hopefully one day it'll pay for the horses to be kept in a style that they have become a custom!

Thanks for the offer of advice, I might just take you up on that, especially nearer to my final assessment, as I’m aiming to be quizzed by as many people as possible to be fully prepared.

xx

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Oh thats fab, pleased youre doin well and enjoyed it. Hubby is in residential but would be happy to help, I think he's gonna put a post on here so feel free if you need any advice, he'd be more than happy to help.

Good luck, hope everything works out well for you.

Luv Jayne xx

bsexton

New User
Visit site
Jayne doesn't listen to what I say. I told her the problems were uneven heating and ventilation. I even put a greenhouse heater in last year. I just get upset when the heater is on and the door left open for hours. I pay the electric bill not Jayne. Horses are expensive enough without heating fresh air.
Maizy Glad your enjoying the job. It's difficult now. I have been sorting redundancies amongst my team. I work for Halifax. Having a supportive boss is the most important thing for you. You should
qualify if you havre the support. I have never regretted becoming a Chartered Surveyor, PS I only learnt to ride 8 years ago. Some things wrong when I've only got one horse and Jayne's got three.

eggs

Visit site
We have had an electric frost heater installed and also run a de-humidifier during the winter months. No green tack.